• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What OBDII Scanner?

Boonie Buster

Stuck on a Curb
So I'm wanting to get a scanner/reader for my '96 Tacoma and '02 vw GTI. But i'm not sure if a generic scanner will do both...?

The Tacoma Elitist are saying to go with a ScanGauge, but i don't know if it'll work with my VW.

http://www.scangauge.com/

And I've seen VW specific scanner/readers but I don't know if they'll read my tacoma.

From what i've read ANY OBDII scanner/reader should read ANY OBDII car '96 and newer... But I'm feeling this is not the case.

Any suggestions for a scanner/reader. I'm willing to spend $200 for one. (ya ya, a cheapy. :fawkdancesmiley:)

I picked up an Actron Autoscanner Plus from sears for figuring out my 96 taco issues. Has worked so far for figuring out codes and tells you what the code is for. Think it was on sale for 125

The VW specific ones are because VW doesn't like to use dipstick on their trannies. So you have to scan it to get a reading for the tranny fluid. Super :rb:

But a generic OBII reader should read your VW DTC codes too. I have an Autoxray at home and at work I have a Genisis and a Inova scanners.

Dude that thing doesn't look like very good quality. There's better out there for $200 or less. I'll look online and see what I can find.

Dude that thing doesn't look like very good quality. There's better out there for $200 or less. I'll look online and see what I can find.

He's spending $200! What kind of quality do you expect???:fawkdancesmiley: J/K! Yeah, the one Derek opsted, there's one a step up from that for about $149, mot a bad little tool, gives graphed data as well too!! It'll even talk to and give some basic data for an Isuzu NPR!!!:awesomework:

He's spending $200! What kind of quality do you expect???:fawkdancesmiley: J/K! Yeah, the one Derek opsted, there's one a step up from that for about $149, mot a bad little tool, gives graphed data as well too!! It'll even talk to and give some basic data for an Isuzu NPR!!!:awesomework:

Oops. :redneck: I didn't know they made a step down from mine, but mine is the ET97, not the ET80 I linked too. It's a great little tool for just over $100. It'll tell you coolant temp, engine load, throttle position, intake temp....All kinds of valuable info. :cool:

Oops. :redneck: I didn't know they made a step down from mine, but mine is the ET97, not the ET80 I linked too. It's a great little tool for just over $100. It'll tell you coolant temp, engine load, throttle position, intake temp....All kinds of valuable info. :cool:

Yup, that's the one Derek!! A guy at work's got one---pretty handy little tool!!!:awesomework:

I had looked at both those earlier today for $189. Those dont look like bad readers at all.

There OK.. The one you're considering Looks like it could be mounted in the vehicle permanently. To me thats just something for the tweakers to steal.

I have the cheapest one I could find that didn't come from harbor freight. It reads DTCs. It clears them and turns off the MIL. It checks the status of the monitors, but doesn't give real-time data. It works for what I need.

http://tinyurl.com/2834auf

I almost bought (and probably still will some time) a Scangauge to permanently mount in the LX.

So does that 3130 do live scan? That;d be a nice feature if i'm spending some coin on one. But i'd really like to just find out why/clear my CEL in the taco...:booo: