• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What size tires should I run?

Gibby

I'm building a Toyota buggy and I'm not sure what size tires to run. I've got a .40 (or .30 can't remember) over 83 22r with a 20r head, cam, lc headers, propane, and 5.29 gears. It'll have a 3 link up front within the next few weeks and it has a 4 link in the rear. The transmission and transfer case is stock for the moment. I would like to able to spin the tires in the sand and mud and maybe a little crawling. I figured 36's would be ideal but I would like to run 37/38's if possible for more ground clearance. I'll have a selectable locker up front and welded in the rear. It'll be a trail rig only. I'll probably run Iroks or similar up front and maybe cut Boggers in the rear. I'm sure this subject has been around the block but I would like your opinion.

Thanks,
Jason

I just built my son a Toyota and it has stock gearing with 4. 7to 1 in the tcase on 37s and it does fine. You could prolly go 40s if u wanted too.

I've got a 4 bangin jeep on 38.5 boggers with a stick and 5:38s and it's a perfect setup

where you planning on wheeling?

you should really consider doing dual cases (dual stocks will be fine for you I bet, and gives you plenty of room to upgrade)

Duals give you the ability to run yous stock low range, then "double down" if you need to crawl up some rocks, notches, ledges, whatever.

I live in Biloxi so the rig will see mostly mud, creeks, and dirt trails. I do want to take it to north Alabama to Grey Rock. I hear it's great. One day to Moab. Got to work all of the bugs out first.

jabnasty said:
37 reds conversation is over.

that says it all and duel cases is a must, you planning on beefing up your axles right? 37"stickies, low gears and stock birfields = :'(

What wheelbase you gonna run, is truck long or short wb now, gonna stretch it any with the suspension mods :dunno:

You just wanna get tires tall enough so you ain,t DRAGGIN BELLY ALL DAY :mad:

Gibby said:
I live in Biloxi so the rig will see mostly mud, creeks, and dirt trails. I do want to take it to north Alabama to Grey Rock. I hear it's great. One day to Moab. Got to work all of the bugs out first.
For your rig and style of wheelin, Iroks would be a good choice. Not sure what all sizes are available, but a 37 should work good for what you are looking for.

From hub to hub is 112.5", 79" height (top of roll bar to the ground), and standard toyota front and rear width. Good point about the belly dragging. How about these dimensions? My ballistic parts should be in Tuesday. I have an opportunity to adjust the front axle now. Let me know. Keep the info coming. Oh yeah, I eventually will upgrade the axles. For now, I'm trying to get it rolling.

Thanks,
Jason

if your going to be running in mud and creeks mostly i would just jump up to a 42" tsl. 5.29s and duel cases you will have no problem. that way ruts wont be a problem for you

NAW NAW.......they mean GOOD LUCK on gettin anything from ballistic ON TIME man molaugh

But did you go with REAL HEIM JOINTS...... or the IMO the weak johnny type shits :dunno:

The rebuild-able Ballistic Joints (not the rod ends). However, I did use a few heim joints in the rear for the upper links on the axle side. That's funny b/c my order has been on back order for the last week and half. I called back yesterday and it still hasn't shipped so I added a set of beadlocks to it ;D

I run 39.5 irocs with dual case and 4.7. Theyve done good so far. ive seen alot of 5.29s break to. Wouldnt go that route