• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What to do

wayne_fj40

I took my Cruiser out this weekend after installing a locker up front.That worked great.Now the problem BLEW OUT MY BIRFIELD.So what do you people think.Oh yea :censored: up my axle as well nice groove in it right at the seal.So should I buy a set of chromoly longfields or just a set of decent mini truck birfs.The ones that were in there I believe are from a 76 disk brake frontend and I know the mini truck ones are stronger.

It has 36 14.5 swampers
locked front and rear
smallblock in it
saginaw power steering

Don't wheel it all the time but when I do I don't feel like being the guy fixing my rig on the trail.
Thanks

if you can affored the longfields go with them. not only are they alot stronger but the man seems to be realy good to his customers( cant wait till i get some). plus being locked upfront you are gonna want that extra strength. i have read alot about the longfields and seems that there is nothing better.

Toyotanut said:
Depends....is the Longs for the crusier brand new or just ringed and heat treated? Just go 60's...it's only $$:flipoff:

I'm looking at new.I want mine to be on the road in 2 week not liike yours 9 months :haha: :haha:

wayne_fj40 said:
I took my Cruiser out this weekend after installing a locker up front.That worked great.Now the problem BLEW OUT MY BIRFIELD.So what do you people think.Oh yea :censored: up my axle as well nice groove in it right at the seal.So should I buy a set of chromoly longfields or just a set of decent mini truck birfs.The ones that were in there I believe are from a 76 disk brake frontend and I know the mini truck ones are stronger.

It has 36 14.5 swampers
locked front and rear
smallblock in it
saginaw power steering

Don't wheel it all the time but when I do I don't feel like being the guy fixing my rig on the trail.
Thanks

So are the outers you are running on your front the LC stuff? I was under the impression the LC outers are different from the mini truck outers which didn't let you run the toy mini birfs?

They are a little smaller so you have to grind out the housing a little so the mini birfs will fit it and mine was allready done so I have decided to get me some longfields.So I will be giving up some body organs a list of what is for sale.

One kidney
One lung
1/2 of my liver
plasma
blood
I think I may be willing to sell more things depending on what breaks next time and the cost:redneck: :redneck:

crash said:
So are the outers you are running on your front the LC stuff? I was under the impression the LC outers are different from the mini truck outers which didn't let you run the toy mini birfs?

The pre-78 birfs have a slightly smaller bell and are quite a bit weaker than the 79+ birfs. 79-89(maybe even 97?) LC birfs are the same as 79-85 trucks. Like Wayne said, to put a later birf (including longfields) in an earlier axle housing, you have to grind a tiny bit off the inside of the trunion bearing ears just to get it into the knuckle ball. Once it's in, it fits fine.

There is some discussion about the stub on a mini-truck birf being shorter (by about 1/4"), but I'm not entirely sure what the model-year change is or which combination of parts they were using. In those cases, the problem is usually resolved by running a bolt & washer into the end of the birf stub rather than the c-clip that should go there - just to keep the birf from riding too far in.

Well I am this month:redneck: It may be a couple of weeks before we can go out and I will have to winch you out of a mud puddle:haha: :haha: :haha: Since you decided to go with a 60.He gives a kickass warrenty.

wayne_fj40 said:
They are a little smaller so you have to grind out the housing a little so the mini birfs will fit it and mine was allready done so I have decided to get me some longfields.So I will be giving up some body organs a list of what is for sale.

One kidney
One lung
1/2 of my liver
plasma
blood
I think I may be willing to sell more things depending on what breaks next time and the cost:redneck: :redneck:

I will take the kidney. How much and can you ship ?

Well I ordered my new Longfields from Bobby on Tues.when I got home yesterday they were allready there(fast service).God are they pretty they look good on the coffee table.i'm not sure what looks better the engine from the Harley on the living room floor or new Lonfields on the coffee table.I think I have my interior decorating done now.They are right it is expensive to decorate the inside of your home:redneck:

Latest posts