• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Whats a good fairly inexpensive tire groover?

pholmann

I am looking to get a groover to cut my tires. I look online and I see them from about 70 bucks to hundreds. Ive never cut any of my tires. Any advise on what is the best for the money? I am not looking to spend 400 bucks on a hot knife. Any help is appreciated. Well most anyways.

pholmann

I thought about sharpening the **** out of an air chisel bit and going that route. My luck I'd stick that sumbitch through the damn tire.

tonybolton

Bypass Crawler
I'm gonna try the chisel / torch thing possibly this week. Either that....or small 50$ electric chain saw. Youtube vids show both work fairly well. The chainsaw seems like it'd make a big mess though.

kushKrawlin

Go to Harbor freight and get the angle grinder attachment that has a chainsaw blade. I know it sounds sketchy, works like a charm. Perfect lines and very easy to control! It's like $30. Well worth it and very fast. :****:

tonybolton

Bypass Crawler
Re: Re: Re: Whats a good fairly inexpensive tire groover?

kushKrawlin said:
Go to Harbor freight and get the angle grinder attachment that has a chainsaw blade. I know it sounds sketchy, works like a charm. Perfect lines and very easy to control! It's like $30. Well worth it and very fast. :****:

Hows the mess?

pholmann

I saw that. Looked like it could possibly save a trip to the emergency room. I envision lots of grab and bounce on that rubber. Sounds dirty huh?

kushKrawlin

I swear to God is not sketchy. I thought the same thing. Cuts like butter. I've never had it grab or anything scary. Have used it alot. :dblthumb: you will not be disappointed! Oh and about the mess. Its BAD. Definitely do not do it in the garage like I tried. As long as you're outside and have gloves and glasses ur good. Thats **** gets everywhere

kushKrawlin

Did these.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 760

kushKrawlin

No prob. I have watched and did my research on groovers. This thing will smoke the **** out of a tire Groover. I think I did those tires in about an hour and a half maybe. Make sure every once in a while you clean out your angle grinder. Blow it out with air. Especially the trigger. Repeat especially be trigger!!!!!

tonybolton

Bypass Crawler
Re: Re: Whats a good fairly inexpensive tire groover?

Busted out the chisel and prpane torch....45min later I got the tops of the rears done. I got better/faster on the second tire.

20140505_173906_zpsvhlpxkd1.jpg

20140505_180643_zpsaffthbu3.jpg

June dog

If your doing whole lugs you can't beat these tools. File a good edge on the blade and lob the whole lug off. It took about 20 minutes a tire on these.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 661
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 141

Mattman347

The 7.3L Powerstroke guy
Re: Whats a good fairly inexpensive tire groover?

qy9y8a3u.jpg
aqeqyvaz.jpg

I did a redneck chainsaw cut on my wore out sx tires this afternoon. I am thinking about removing whole lugs later but will see if this helps any for now.

Primary

HardlineCrawlers Assistant
Here are some related products that HardlineCrawlers members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to HardlineCrawlers’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to HardlineCrawlers discussions about these products.

Latest posts