• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What's a good way for a kid to get started in riding ATVs?

Comet

I know nothing about them. Not a rider myself, but my nephew is interested in riding along with me when I wheel in an ATV. He's 8 years old and about 4'8" tall. His dad wants to start him off with a used ATV and one that is 4x4, slow, not the 2wd speedsters :D Any advice or recommendations on a ride or where to find them used?

If you must put him on a quad (I'm a bike person, and I just don't get the quad thing), a solid mini (90cc or so) is probably the best bet. Utilities are a bear to ride, especially for someone that small. It won't follow a wheeling rig, but that's a tough task for anyone new to riding a bike or quad.

i started my girl on a bike 50cc when she was 6yo.
now that she can ride a dirt bike im looking for a small quad also.
i dont really think its to early to start them out,as long as there old enough to under stand what stuff is and does

Another thing to think about is how mature is the kid for his age? If he is not mature enough, he can get hurt or injured by not being able to judge situations and actions for danger potential.

make him learn to ride a bike first, then if he wants get him a quad, if he can ride a bike decent quads are boring

I've taught all 3 of my god kids on 70cc quads, first started riding when they were 4yo. get him a good used 90 you can always use the throttle limiter if you feel it's to fast or unsafe.

I got a single 50cc cheap ATV for all 3 kids to share. Jackson was 4 and the girls were 6. They all handled it successfuly except for a couple of crashes into the bushes...
I've since moved Jackson up to a Typhoon 125 and the girls each have a KFX80. The KFX 80 or 90 is a GREAT beginners quad. Fully automatic, easy to handle and VERY dependable.
Practicing on nice, safe fields and tracks is a key to getting their skills up before hitting any trails. My kids (especially Jackson) has a few hundred hours of practice but I still wouldn't put him out on a 4x4 trail.

I am trying to figure out who to hook up with though, to get him out on the race tracks as he's expressed interest in racing. Anyone have an hook ups, contacts etc?

i got a honda 200 when i was 5 and rode the **** out of it, still have it today. ( its mighty beat though) Just let him get on one and hammer down on some easy stuff,

i got a honda 200 when i was 5 and rode the **** out of it, still have it today. ( its mighty beat though) Just let him get on one and hammer down on some easy stuff,

X2 Just buy him something suitable to his size and let him learn. Once he gets the hang of it he will be hooked for life. Good for the kids to start now.....it will keep them out of trouble later.:awesomework:

I started out riding a 250 4stroke honda when I was 6, my cousin 1 month older then me couldn't ride alone on it till he was 9-10. I would size him to the quad rather then just saying "Buy a 50, 90, 125, ect..." just due to age and lack of experience. Find a place that rents or a friend that has one you can put him on and see what he can do some kids are naturals and by buyin him something too small you are holding him back and/or wasting money because it wont be fun and he will soon loose interest.

i started on a 88 honda 200. I would ride circles in the field all day long then as skill grew the cc got to grow with it. I am not the police but there are some regulations inplace that limit the size of bike people of certain age can legally ride. They also make training wheels for small dirt bikes. Mainly just letting the ride is the best way. IMO

I think maturity level is huge. I went from riding bicycles to riding a 500 quadzilla at the age of 8. Granted, I knew my limits on the bike and didn't go over them until I knew I could handle it. 4 months later the bike was my tamed beast lol

I have a suzuki 80 for sale super fast i started on it at 4or5.....with the limmiting screw in it. my dad said get rid of it so its for sale