• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Where's the Beef?

GONOVRIT said:
But do they? I'm sure you'll never come close to breaking one with your style of wheeling :flipoff1: I was just wondering ;)

I don't think they warranty them.There really not priced that bad I will have an extra one with me just in case.

ok, me again, with another question. what do these run ($)? I know Moser is 9" famous, do they do other shafts?

wngrog said:
I wheel a lot (when I have a buggy) and I just can't see me spending a wheeling weekend over there again.
Damn, it must be nice. I go to far weaker places than Gray Rock just because it's near my house.

Nolan is a wheeling location snob... if it isnt a "hot spot" he isnt interested in wheeling there. :flipoff1:

( Me ... **** Ill wheel anywere I wont have to cross a gate , trespass, or get shot at ! ) laughing1

vanguard said:
Damn, it must be nice. I go to far weaker places than Gray Rock just because it's near my house.

Thats one of the problems. Gray Rock is a long way from us MS boys. Its 4 hours from my house. Nolen lives another 45 mins further. I can be in Hot Springs in 5 hours. Nolen can be to HS in the same or less time than GR. If GR was an hour away, I would probably be there for every ride. So its usually a pretty easy choice for us.

Hot Springs: Technical or full throttle trails, very little dust, very little (if any) trail traffic, camping facilities with electricity and shower house.

Gray Rock: Mostly full throttle (unless completely dry) , very dusty, lots of trail traffic, no camping facilities.

I still like to go to GR about once a year (private ride) but the majority of my riding will be HS and Clayton is only 8 hrs from me. I go there 3-5 times a year.

P said:
Nolan is a wheeling location snob... if it isnt a "hot spot" he isnt interested in wheeling there. :flipoff1:

Yeah, Clayton is a hot spot alright........I may (if lucky) see 2-3 people on the trail in a weekend.

The "Hot Spot" would be Gray Rock where there are 500 vehicles on an open ride and I can have more spectators per obsticle than are in the entire city of Clayton.

As for broken.....we will see. I highly doubt these shafts will be breaking before the 1350 Ujont or the Mega9.

As for GONOVIT, I invite you to experience "my kind of wheeling" anytime you have the desire to do so.

BTW, what was the situation with your bad experience with Moser?

I just like giving you as much **** as possible Nolan... you know that. :flipoff1: Im jealous of the advances in modern science ( gundrilled bling blang ) and your high level of income.. laughing1

I think alot of folks dont know the Moser problems back in the day... basically the original "owners and engineer's " were killed in an plane crash and Moser's quality suffered for it for a short period there after. I think ( and this is totally my own opinion ) that during that time a lot of " slippin " happened and Moser's reputation suffered for it.

Also early on when they started marketing to the 4wd crowd I think they had some poor quality shafts that got out there and alot of people had alot of breakage on them. Hell if you look back or followed "e-drama" at all most all the big chromo shaft providers have gone through that as well... Yukon claimed " a bad batch" and I vaguely recall a period when Superior did the same thing.

Alot of that has to do with out of country manufacturing to keep costs down low and so forth. The standards aren't always kept 1st priority in that so there are occasions when quality suffers.

* Note all of this is just from my personal gathering and reading and watching e-drama. Some of it is first hand from when I worked with some of these vendors as a salesman too. Im not doggin any one company's product. *

DavidsCJ7 said:
Thats one of the problems. Gray Rock is a long way from us MS boys. Its 4 hours from my house. Nolen lives another 45 mins further. I can be in Hot Springs in 5 hours. Nolen can be to HS in the same or less time than GR.
Oh, I thought I saw him write a while ago that Gray Rock was the closest place to his house but that he still won't be going there. I could be wrong.

Anyway, I went to Gray Rock once and I thought it was pretty cool. It was dry but it was still a challenge in my rig at the time. I've done a lot of work to and I've had a lot more seat time since then. I'll go back at some point because while I love Harlan, I'll have gone there for 5 of my last 7 wheeling trips and I need to get around more like I did last year.

I just like to hit a variety as much as i possibly can... Going to the same place repeatedly gets real old. (Gdale trails... I burned myself out on wheeling there early on in moving to Alabama ) I find if I go MMORV, Grayrock, something else... and rotate them instead of going grorv, grorv, whatever I tend to appreciate all of them more.

Im lucky in location though.... I try to keep that in mind. There is alot of great wheeling within 1-4 hours of my door and some that I havent even been to yet. thumb.gif

vanguard said:
Oh, I thought I saw him write a while ago that Gray Rock was the closest place to his house but that he still won't be going there. I could be wrong.

Anyway, I went to Gray Rock once and I thought it was pretty cool. It was dry but it was still a challenge in my rig at the time. I've done a lot of work to and I've had a lot more seat time since then. I'll go back at some point because while I love Harlan, I'll have gone there for 5 of my last 7 wheeling trips and I need to get around more like I did last year.

It may be closer than Hot Springs by 15 minutes, so yes, it is the closest place to wheel. The still does not make it worth the drive for me.

David and I probably get out more than most in this area and we are both willing to drive a few more hours to get to the type of wheeling we like better than to short-cut it and go somewhere less desirable.

P, I knew what you were up to...just sending it back downrange.

As for Moser, I know they have a SUPER good reputation in the drag-race world. I was talking to a guy at the Moser booth at a tradeshow in Dallas 3 years ago and he said off road was less than 10% of their business. That said, Tom at Sunray used them for most high price builds and he did not cut corners at all. He said the cast on the Moser 3rd members was the strongest production available for the money. Also, everything ships there in 24 hours. That is damn nice if you are bringing home something broken. I have twisted some Moser 35 spline shafts, but I have never snapped one.

Wyatt....go to Moserengineering.com and you will see all the prices right there on the web.

wngrog said:
Wyatt....go to Moserengineering.com and you will see all the prices right there on the web.
You just made me feel so lazy. :flipoff1: I didnt even look.

DAMN $100 bucks for gundrilling. CRAP THAT IS CHEAP. I'd done it as well.

So we are talking $415 for the shaft and $100 to drill them. DANG I like that.

Nolen is a wheelin snob, but he likes what he likes. I would love to wheel Hot Springs more often but it is a good 6 hours from us. It is a GREAT place to wheel like David said. Tons of trails, good map with difficulty levels printed, great facilities, full time park manager. Pretty much the best PARK out there because it has everything you would need. As long as you stay off those gravel trails that Nolen rides you will not murder your tires every trip out :flipoff1:

Gray Rock is the same ole, same ole. Sure it is fun, but the dust and heat can really get to you. I think most people go for the social aspect as much as the riding. I know most of the locals do anyways. A lot of times it is fun to have a bunch of spectators watching you put on a show, makes it more exciting. GR is no Hot Springs or Clayton, but it is it's own kind of fun. Now Clayton is where it's at, that 10 hour drive hurts though.

BamaTJ said:
Nolen is a wheelin snob, but he likes what he likes. I would love to wheel Hot Springs more often but it is a good 6 hours from us. It is a GREAT place to wheel like David said. Tons of trails, good map with difficulty levels printed, great facilities, full time park manager. Pretty much the best PARK out there because it has everything you would need. As long as you stay off those gravel trails that Nolen rides you will not murder your tires every trip out :flipoff1:

Gray Rock is the same ole, same ole. Sure it is fun, but the dust and heat can really get to you. I think most people go for the social aspect as much as the riding. I know most of the locals do anyways. A lot of times it is fun to have a bunch of spectators watching you put on a show, makes it more exciting. GR is no Hot Springs or Clayton, but it is it's own kind of fun. No Clayton is where it's at, that 10 hour drive hurts though.

I pretty much agree with all this. I havent been to Hot Springs since 99 though, back before it was Superlift owned so I can imagine how much more appealing it is now.

:woody:

P I feel you on the burning out. That is why I only wheel one day per ride weekend at Gray Rock. I don't know how you fawkers wheel all 3 days for every ride and still keep doing it. I really enjoy MMORV, but I am trying to pace myself so I don't burn out on it. It is cool because Randy keeps addding more trails. Gray Rock has been pretty much the same since I first wheeled there in 2004. Actually, trails have gone away since then.

MMORV is 8 hrs away from us but it seems worth it to us. We usually leave early friday morning and make it to our dest. around 2 pm friday, wheel that day, wheel sat, wheel sun, and then drive home mon morning. i would love to know if there are any decent places closer to me though (between MMORV and New Orleans).