• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Wide Open Designs KOH buggy build

Just stopping in to give you guys a little update. I haven't had enough time to keep up with the build thread because of doing work on the buggy and trying to keep the shop running as well. First off let me say that I am very excited about this buggy and all of the new things that I am trying with it. Every thing is coming together and I am very happy with the way it is turning out.

The major step is that IT FRIGGIN RUNS :woot:

It sounds good and strong but I have yet to drive it so the real test will come this weekend.

All of the interior floor boards is majorly done. It needs some tiding up touches done but it is pretty much done. This was a big pain in the but because every thing so tight.

It is fully plumed. But we have not put any fluids in it yet. We have been working on a belt tension-er to get enough belt wrap on every thing after we moved the alternator. But now we can get the right belt and fill er on up.

I worked today on the console the houses the turning brakes,trans shifter, and rear steer valve. I should have this thing finished up by the end of tomorrow and then I can finish all of the wiring.

I added in a few bars from when I welded up the chassis when it was all apart so I have to weld all of them in as well. I have a list of little stuff that will go fast this week and my dad is finishing up his last adapter in the morning so he can help me knock those out all week. He is great to have around because I can give him a task and it is done and done right.

The header are out for coating and should be back Friday. All I can say about them is they turned out friggin awesome. Jeff has about 2 1/2 days in building them and I have probably 16 to 20 hours in welding them up. It is crazy how much time went into these things, but with the way they turned out I am more than happy with them .

All in all I have just a gusset here and there that I want to put in and some wiring before this weekend. That and a mile long list of little things but I am going to be driving my buggy this weekend.

I have decided no to powder coat the chassis before the race. This would at least take two weeks to tear down and reassemble. I am going to use that time for test and tuning. I have right at 30 days before the race and I want to be ready for it. The week after the first test run I am going to start building body panels. This buggy is going to look sick when all of the sheet metal is done.

Window nets should get ordered Tuesday along with any thing else needed to finish up.

About the gas tank in the cockpit I'm glad kid rock brought that to my attention because I have only been looking at the KOH rules not the XRRA ones. I will have to build a simple cover that lays right against the tank to pass tech. No big deal but I wasn't planing on running that. Thanks guys for keeping me on my toes.

B Gillespie,

I have a motto that I live by. "Find time to do it right" It is a simple little saying but I live by it. We don't take short cuts and every build gets the attention that it deserves. As every one knows we are a custom one off shop. We don't build rigs that are like any one else's so we have to build everything we need, and we can handle most any task that is thrown at us. We just try to do what ever we can to make sure a rig is solid and works well when it leaves.

Thanks guys for the compliments.

Piss on cable hill, I want to see it doing 80 mph across a field airing that bitch out. No offence, but most of what comes out of Tennesse is big horse power hill climbing rigs. I think Adam about to change all that. I would be more impressed with a video of it doing over 100 mph on the interstate than anything else. booyang :woot:

kid rok said:
Piss on cable hill, I want to see it doing 80 mph across a field airing that bitch out. No offence, but most of what comes out of Tennesse is big horse power hill climbing rigs. I think Adam about to change all that. I would be more impressed with a video of it doing over 100 mph on the interstate than anything else. booyang :woot:

I agree 100%, unfortunately I won't be at KOH to witness the high speed runs, only our local stomping grounds. thumb.gif

You don't have to go to California to go fast!

I have been looking for big open fields and I found out a friend has a fresh planted wheatfield the is 120 acres of open flat glory. He said it is right at a mile across it. That is going to be the closest thing to the desert I can find in TN. Of course video will follow when this happens. booyang

To say this buggy is different than any thing else ever built around here is right on point. There was a crowd of guys standing around the shop last weekend, and one of them said show us all of the things that are new to how you usually build your buggies. I couldn't show them but a hand full of things that was the same as how I had built buggies in the past as far as fabrication wise. It made me think dang was I on drugs when I started this thing. I get bored with the same old same old.

Woodlee said:
You don't have to go to California to go fast!

I agree, just few and far between places to go Zoom Zoom. I seem to remember YUBKON doing some drifting around the top of Bents n dents at full speed. Shwing, you go boy. I want to be there when it happens. Fawkers gonna scream like a 2 dollar whore in church. :****:

Ive got a place we can go right at 35 miles one way...... peelin out the whole way.... :woot: :woot:

you just have to keep up with me. :flipoff1: