• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Width

Cascade_Crawler

So guys that have done 1 ton axle swaps and buggy guys, how wide are your axles? Did you leave them full width? Compensate with hummer rims? What do you think is a good width for PNW style wheeling?

x2 Im 81" front at 80" rear. Works veery good in my opionon.

narrowed 44 4" to 63 wms to wms and cut down 60 to 61 1/2 wms to wms

Didn't narrow the one tons(69") on my yj, running 5" backspaced wheels-82" bulge to bulge. Haven't wheeled it yet but my cherokee was right at 82"wide in the front as well and I liked how it worked.:redneck:

I'm with Rick, 80" is a good width.

My buggy has 76" front and 74" rear with 5" backspaced wheels.

87 front 85 rear outside tire to outside tire :D Rims are 16x10 with 4ish backspacing. 69 wms to wms in the front and 67 rear

I like having a stock sized axle length. Time will tell how I like the setup but I got nothing but good things to say so far...

Depends on how you use it, and the size tires you plan on running.

I like 74 inch width, bulge of the tire to bulge of the tire.

At that width, running 37 inch X 12.5 tires (Krawlers), you still have reasonable turning. Any larger tire, and the tire hits the frame, preventing steering. It still 'looks' right. It's still stable. I can run the highways with a 2.5 or 3 inch flair and not get pulled over by the cops (even though they still stick out a little) They still articulate into my fenderwells okay. It's legal for running the PNW4WDA trails during the Jamboree, specifically Rimrock. This width allows good tree hugging, trail turning, tight driving.

(edit - the downside to running this width is that you've got to narrow the axles = $$$)

Last edited:
My 60s are narrowed to 65wms if I remember right, only thing custom is my long side inner. I run 5in backspaced rims so it puts me at 78in on 39X13.5X17s. I used to run at 81, and was never denied on a trail(Rimrock,Natches,Elbe,etc). I was pretty happy at 81, but even happier now at 78in:D .

my 9" rear is 65" wms to wms and I am 84" wide outside to outside and love it, my 609 front is going to be 67"-69" wms to wms. A lot also depends on tire size and rig height. I am sitting at 22" to the belly on 37"s also.

Last edited:
67 wms 2 wms, and 87 outside 2 outside. No denial yet however bys is on the to do list.

76 inches out side of tire:; my 60 is narrowed to 62 inches wms to wms:Dit fits in my garage better:flipoff:

Last edited: