• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Winch solinoids - controler

mark

OK, I'm putting a solenoid pack back together from the winch I just picked up. The solenoids were good, but the wiring was toast and hacked.

Its a 2-solenoid, 3-wire motor type. I got the power leads and posts figured out just fine, big question is the controller, non of the on-line diagrams I've been finding have detailed that part. Its a 4-wire winch controller, the winch in question is a T-maxx, uses the exact same controller as my previous Smittybuilt but I don't have that winch anymore to reference :mad: I can figure out 3-wire to go to the controller, but what 4th wire would you run?

The way I've got it configured right now is power from the battery, out to the remote, then back from the remote via the in and out sides of the switch to the contact points on the solenoids, then the solenoids to ground. What am I missing?

:beer:

I kind of thought so, but what function would it have at the controller?

The contoller can also be hooked up by controlling the grounds instead of the positive, with the possitive just jumped from the battery lead on the solenoids. This is actually how I have it (non powered) mocked up right now, since the previous person who wired it had it set up this way.

The solenoids have (2) small posts, on + and the other -.

you may be able to figure it out with a meter? not too sure but it may be two independant switches for each position? power in then out for each direction? or something, thats the only logical answer i have without checking it. I have a bunch of meters and am over in bothell. I can prolly help you try to finger it out if you want?

you may be able to figure it out with a meter? not too sure but it may be two independant switches for each position? power in then out for each direction? or something, thats the only logical answer i have without checking it. I have a bunch of meters and am over in bothell. I can prolly help you try to finger it out if you want?
Got it figured out. After I posted this (and goofed on the computer for like another hour) I went down and grabbed the remote and my meter. Got some weird readings at first so I decided to take apart the remote.... well, low and behold it may be a 4-wire pin, but its only a 3-wire controller :haha:. Put it all back together and it operates like it should, don't know why I was getting the confusing readings the first time.

So basically it works exactly like I thought it should, power goes up, then back down through the selected switch leg. Now to just build a new box for the solenoids and put it all together.

Got it figured out. After I posted this (and goofed on the computer for like another hour) I went down and grabbed the remote and my meter. Got some weird readings at first so I decided to take apart the remote.... well, low and behold it may be a 4-wire pin, but its only a 3-wire controller :haha:. Put it all back together and it operates like it should, don't know why I was getting the confusing readings the first time.

So basically it works exactly like I thought it should, power goes up, then back down through the selected switch leg. Now to just build a new box for the solenoids and put it all together.

Ahhhhhhhh the mystery 4th wire

Latest posts