• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

"Wishin' 4 One Tons" The 86ish Grand Waggy

TheViking said:
So your going to have a full bodied FSJ for the most part?

Yup, I dont really plan on chopping it up anymore then how it is now.It will get a cage that sneaks out in a few spots thru the body to act as sliders, below/above the rear side windows, and the A pillar, not planning on to much of it being out side of the cab but id rather try to save a few key spots from damage. Other then those couple spots....bring on the body damage :driving:

Lurker said:
Yup, I dont really plan on chopping it up anymore then how it is now.It will get a cage that sneaks out in a few spots thru the body to act as sliders, below/above the rear side windows, and the A pillar, not planning on to much of it being out side of the cab but id rather try to save a few key spots from damage. Other then those couple spots....bring on the body damage :driving:
I like a old school full bodied rig :woot:

Couple more updates. Getting close to halfway through my pictures. Should start getting a little more detailed now, I think this is when i started figuring out how to take pictures of what I was doing.

Couple pieces of angle and an old bolt from the bin, these become the mounts for the panel that holds all the electrical goodies

IMG_20140409_121104_zpsud8lkmrc.jpg

The bracket above mounts upside down to the inside of the dash frame with the bolt hanging down, couple piece of all-thread make up the rear mounts.
I later swapped the piece of birch cabinet material out for a piece of emdf.Not sure if this is the technical term for it, but this is more or less a exterior grade MDF that has started making its way into the high end remodels down here on the beach. It holds up awesome outside and sheds water like a mofo.

Yes..all the tabs are different...it happens :wtflol:

IMG_20140409_124117_zpshmvryts5.jpg

The idea behind this board is that I can make up a full spare and plug and play it if the first one starts having issues. Wing nuts took the place of the nuts
holding it up.Takes maybe 5 minutes for me to pull the board with it fully wired with nothing more then a small allen wrench for the bussbar connections.

IMG_20140409_124125_zpssl0f9heq.jpg

Hit the scrap bin for something to get the hood latched, old ubolts are what I ended up using.

IMG_20140414_123118_zpsbbfrnzpb.jpg

Drilled a couple holes

IMG_20140414_123130_zpsqxb8szmf.jpg

Dropped the "pin" through the hole, put 4 tacks on it then burnt it in with the hood open.

IMG_20140414_123140_zpsqumcb5hd.jpg

IMG_20140414_125539_zps3qkwxu6b.jpg

Still working on getting the other half of them done, I need to attach a base that i can rivet/or bolt to the hood to the ass end of a .50 shell.

IMG_20140706_163252_zpsw8blqd5k.jpg

I've never brazed a thing before, any other options or do I need to go figure out how to braze?

And yes my pictures are huge, Ill clean it all up and resize them once I get the thread to where I am now

Back from page 5 lol

Couple more. Not in any specific order, I gave up organizing pictures and what not. Anyways. Its just about ready to hit the trails,cage/rear brakes/little wiring and its good to go. After grayrock this weekend I really got the bug to get it 100%. Ill catch this thread up tomorrow and start with real time stuff even tho it will be small boring ****. If my pics go down again Ill cough up the few bucks for some storage.

8274 along with about 125' of synthetic that I was told has a 22k pound working load :eek: . This actually came off the front of the 84 k5 that lent itself to being gutted for my current motor/trans combo.

SSPX00921_zps84432312.jpg

Looking at the bumper that this thing was mounted to on the k5 made me decide to do something most waggy guys would call blasphemy, but I did it anyways.

I had snagged this '83 grill off a j truck in the pick and pull yard.

dddd_zps5cf33efc.jpg

And it had this little hole right in the middle that annoyed the **** outta me ::)

A bigger hole should make it better right?

SSPX01631_zps2234cce9.jpg

It did :****:

SSPX01681_zpsf294bd2f.jpg

Ill snap a picture of the bumper and all finished tomorrow. It ended up sitting a little further back then the picture. Didn't interfere with the approach angle at all, and I ended up pretty happy with the way it turned out, still hunting an old style roller fair lead for cheap *hint hint* :dblthumb:

And this is where all the plans went out the window..for the 3rd or 7th time. I stopped trying to keep track of the "plans".

'84 k5. This had been sitting 2 lots down at a friend of a friends for 4-5 years, it was owned by a friend of the friend of a friend, and my dad sorta knew the guy as well. The body on this thing was so far gone that I put my foot through the floor climbing in it to tow it to the house :****: But in the end, it made me 20 bucks. replaced my dana 44s with the 12bolt/44 combo from the k5 and sold my 44s, scraped the body and frame.

k5_zpsczcwghz8.jpg

Pulled the driveline outta the blazer all at once, giant 203 included but not recommended. Pulled the rear outta the waggy so i could roll the frame out from under the body, axle doesn't clear the blocks the body has to sit on when I want to split them apart.

uhoh_zpsrzmzlo8k.jpg

Stuck the axle back in it, rolled it over to the motor and dropped it in on the half finished motor mounts and a temp xmember.

frame_zpsk2bmuubu.jpg

Snatched the giant 203 off and stuck my spare 205 on it for the time being, the doubler came as a gift later down the road, a buddy surprised me with a smoking deal on a kit that he ordered wrong, but happened to be right for my 27 spline junk ;D
Its just about complete waiting on a few small things that got misplaced during transport and it should be ready to swap in.

Chopping up the factory waggy xmember, I managed to make this thing pretty close to a flat belly. Lowest point is the front output side, and it is maybe an inch below the bottom of the frame.

xmeber_zpshkg44whl.jpg

*insert pic of almost flat belly*

Ok thats all I got for tonight lol. Getting closer to being caught up.

Scweeeet! Maybe Ill cruise over that way this week sometime, if ya aren't to busy. I know that the springbreak shenanigans are probably keeping ya busy.

A friend and I built a 73 two door. Was on 42 pitbulls, 14 bolt, and 60 front. We did a 10inch bob in the rear and had to fiberglass the floor in before we built the cage so that you could keep things in the truck. They need a dove on the front clip I think. Damn thing was always getting it nose stuck where it did not belong.

1tonyj said:
Just pm me your address and I'll drop it in the mail for ya....call it a donation to the Florida group thumb.gif.

Done..that's awesome man, really really appreciate it.

Some more random swap stuff.

Pulled the driver drop 44, swapped it with the one out of the blazer. This only brought up one issue, the front sat sky high for a while since I was swapping from spring under to a spring over axle

broke%20it_zpsh7b1gukw.jpg

I guess I lost some pics swapping phones. Got that all stuck back together, 12bolt swapped in the rear. I know most wouldnt consider swapping from matched 44s to a 12/44 an upgrade/or downgrade. But the full width axles helped me out a bunch at this point in the build, I was running into all sorts of issues with the narrowtrack of the stock waggy ones.

Mounted up a radiator that came outta a friends k1500. One day Ill get me one of those fancy racecar radiators like you guys.

Just tacked in at this point, i was worried about melting the plastic side caps on the rad so i had to pull a bunch of stuff, clean up the mount and weld it in.

radmount_zpsmsa9t6jw.jpg

Cut up an old rad hose from the k5 and used it for insulators :dblthumb: It was the gift that kept giving

*picture of rad hose insulator*

I decided I wanted one of those cool dirt track shifters the buggy guys run....but i wasn't gonna pay 50 bucks for 3 pieces of metal and a couple spacers. So.....
I made my own :****:

shift1_zpslmhdbrlq.jpg

Got the powersteering and hydro boost plumbed, I need to source a couple longer high pressue hoses, one has to run pretty close to the header to make it to the master. This was pretty close to the time I got the new motor and stuff swapped in so everything under the hood is a little bit of mess.

IMG_20141110_164518_zpsnp9l5amq.jpg

Lil ugly said:
A friend and I built a 73 two door. Was on 42 pitbulls, 14 bolt, and 60 front. We did a 10inch bob in the rear and had to fiberglass the floor in before we built the cage so that you could keep things in the truck. They need a dove on the front clip I think. Damn thing was always getting it nose stuck where it did not belong.

Ive really been looking at how i can bob it and still keep the entire ass end of the body,think chop top hot rod, thinking i can get about 10"s taken out between the back of the body and back of the fenderwell. It wont happen for a long time, but when it does ill have the lines figured out for the cuts. And I can believe it hanging the front end on everything it passed, nose on this thing is massive.

I got it, just took a little while. Good to hear :dblthumb:

Here is the 95% finished winch mount/bumper, still need to clearance for the fairlead opening just a little. Its not mandatory but I do plan on swapping out my grill support for something not as jacked up, the waggy its self had been in a pretty bad front end crash at some point in its life. I could see the places they hooked chains to pull the frame and the small crease near the kick up on the front frame rails, I fought that the entire way while doing the shackle/leaf hangers, the driver side had to be ~ 1/2" taller then the other to make everything work right.

fbumper_zpseagxzoaq.jpg

It tucked in pretty nice, I wanted to keep it low profile and not looking like some flatbillin' bro-dozer bumper.

alksdkjf_zpswyn9ipxh.jpg

Lurker said:
Ive really been looking at how i can bob it and still keep the entire ass end of the body,think chop top hot rod, thinking i can get about 10"s taken out between the back of the body and back of the fenderwell. It wont happen for a long time, but when it does ill have the lines figured out for the cuts. And I can believe it hanging the front end on everything it passed, nose on this thing is massive.

The rig is sitting behind my work shop now. I will take a pic of the bob. We kept the rear by chopping the 10" out the area over the fender well and then cutting in a new rear portion of the fender well. We never did finish the fender wells like they needed to be but it did look better than just cutting of the rear of the truck. Took a lot more work of course.

Lil ugly said:
The rig is sitting behind my work shop now. I will take a pic of the bob. We kept the rear by chopping the 10" out the area over the fender well and then cutting in a new rear portion of the fender well. We never did finish the fender wells like they needed to be but it did look better than just cutting of the rear of the truck. Took a lot more work of course.

Sweet, Id like to see how it was done.

It would probably be easiest to take it out right above the fender well like you did, but I stretched the rear on the springs 5" and then stretched the fender well opening. Id hate to have to go back and redo them for a second time

Well the thread is more or less caught up. And Ill be posting current progress now, might toss in some older random stuff as I find more pictures.

Spent a little time last night sitting in my seats tryin to figure out what/how i wanted to do the cage. Bare with me here, as I've never done a cage before. But the plan is to cage it up inside, the run some heavy sheet metal to the pillars/roof/inner fenders off of the toooobe similar to the way they do the cages in the rally cars.

Im not sure if I started in the right place or what, but I figured that the belt bar needed to be in the right spot and the rest of it was kinda irrelevant, so thats where i started.

cage3_zpsyj18uvm4.jpg

Door bars, will also allow me to mount the belts to the lower portion of it.

cage2_zps2hp1c8w7.jpg

Door bar runs up to a plate that will be welded to the firewall then bolted to the front portion of the cage under the hood. I still plan on being able to pop this body off the frame in 45 mins like I can now.

cage_zpsky1ooue7.jpg

Quick paint sketch of the picture in my head.

cage%20idea_zpsj1saudkk.jpg

Not sure how close it will actually be to that paint sketch, that is harder then you would think it should be :****:

I missed the pics of the rear stretch you did or was not paying attention to the ones that showed it. We cut the frame and hung the rear shackle off the new crossmember that we built at the rear of the frame. We then covered the new crossmember with the old bumper. It looks good and with the six point cage it turned out to be a pretty stiff chassis. On the interior of the body we modified the two removable panels for the bob and left the original fenderwells inside alone.

Attachments

• KIMG0030.JPG
    KIMG0030.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 379
  • KIMG0031.JPG
    KIMG0031.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 380
  • KIMG0032.JPG
    KIMG0032.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 392
  • KIMG0033.JPG
    KIMG0033.JPG