• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

"Wishin' 4 One Tons" The 86ish Grand Waggy

Every great fabricator started out as a hack. Don't be down on yourself. Learn from all the things that don't work and make it twice as good next time.

I like it. Run that baby hard then build a buggy and be done

LightBnDr said:
Every great fabricator started out as a hack. Don't be down on yourself. Learn from all the things that don't work and make it twice as good next time.

I like it. Run that baby hard then build a buggy and be done

I know everyone blames it on not having the tools, but ive literally built this entire thing with a 4.5" grinder(well 2 if you wanna be specific my old one died about 6 months into it) and a 1/2 hand drill. So, yea some the bolt holes are a little sloppy and some of the brackets aren't exactly the same. If Eddyj wouldn't have taken "half an inch off" I was going to name it something similar cause it dam sure isn't quite right :****:

Its been a hell of a learning experience for sure

Screw pretty ...pretty don't get you over a rock or up a hill. Just long as it's built strong that's all that matters. Everyone wants bling bling shiny shiny these days...all that **** looks good on the trailer but it's just gonna get beat up if ya use your rig anyway. Now load that bad boy up and let's go wheel Dillion!

Eddyj said:
I figure the first time I roll it, everything will be square if I build it half an inch off.

laughing1 laughing1

1tonyj said:
Screw pretty ...pretty don't get you over a rock or up a hill. Just long as it's built strong that's all that matters. Everyone wants bling bling shiny shiny these days...all that **** looks good on the trailer but it's just gonna get beat up if ya use your rig anyway. Now load that bad boy up and let's go wheel Dillion!

I'm tryin Ray, I'm tryin! lol. And Ive started realizing that lately. Ive tore up both the fenders already and the rockers got a couple good ones in them :driving: Im just gonna hack the fenders out in a way that I can save them at somepoint.. if I get my trailer back I'm there this weekend :****: I was tired of trying to fix it so I just dropped it at a friends to have him do the bearings/lights and some other little stuff.

Dude just keep building and trying to get better everytime. My screen name came from my fab skills, because the results were always a Little Ugly. However a decade later and they now occasionally look like I had a clue. I like what you are doing rig.

Hell I have built just about everything I do more than once. 3 cages, 4 front ends.. Etc etc. just when I finished the cage I LOVE, my welding skills improved greatly! Oh and then there is my lil rug rat Charley! Haha she can take a 1/4" drive rachet and random socket and walk from tire to tire actin like she's Workin on it for hours. Wonder where she gets that from ? Ha. So somthing tells me I have a decision to make one day soon about a 3 or 4 seater cage. Just great! Haha. The good thing about welding is, if Ya dont like it or U mess up Somthjng, it can be cut off and changed!!! Keep on keepin on man. When U do start wheeling it. Do what I did if Ya still work on it.. I could always be ready for a ride in a day or 2 notice. I always had it where I could throw it back together quick. Of course there was some exceptions but Atleast u can wheel!!! Good job brother

Lil ugly said:
Dude just keep building and trying to get better everytime. My screen name came from my fab skills, because the results were always a Little Ugly. However a decade later and they now occasionally look like I had a clue. I like what you are doing rig.

Thanks, Ill figure it one of these days molaugh

kushKrawlin said:
Hell I have built just about everything I do more than once. 3 cages, 4 front ends.. Etc etc. just when I finished the cage I LOVE, my welding skills improved greatly! Oh and then there is my lil rug rat Charley! Haha she can take a 1/4" drive rachet and random socket and walk from tire to tire actin like she's Workin on it for hours. Wonder where she gets that from ? Ha. So somthing tells me I have a decision to make one day soon about a 3 or 4 seater cage. Just great! Haha. The good thing about welding is, if Ya dont like it or U mess up Somthjng, it can be cut off and changed!!! Keep on keepin on man. When U do start wheeling it. Do what I did if Ya still work on it.. I could always be ready for a ride in a day or 2 notice. I always had it where I could throw it back together quick. Of course there was some exceptions but Atleast u can wheel!!! Good job brother

Thanks Koooooosh, I hear ya on the welding man, mine is still improving daily. There are things I want to hack off and redo cause I know they will come out better now.

Small update coming when I get pictures uploaded.

Hacked out the rear fenders to regain the travel, this has led me to thinking I might rework the leaf packs to lower the whole thing a couple inches and just leave the shock mounts as is. :dunno:

Cage is more or less done, gotta get the frame tie ins cut but most of the tubes are notched and fitted.

Im over running wiring for lights...so **** the brakelights. If you rearend this massive ass rig on the trail, I'll probably laugh.

Thats pretty much it til I get it out and break more **** off of it :driving: :driving:

Big update.

The first couple pages could be ignored now, things are now onto version 1.9 and are being improved greatly thumb.gif

Took it out, found out a few things. And bent the hell outta a front leaf, planned to just flip the shackles to the back end and keep rolling. This changed directions pretty quick, when I started at the wrong end of the truck :spin:

DSCF0127_zpshauhulwf.jpg

Started cutting

DSCF0134_zpsrcbappdr.jpg

DSCF0135_zpsjykv6o1m.jpg

DSCF0137_zps9yogrwcz.jpg

Got rid of the old shackle hangers and figured Id hop on the " I'm lower then you" bandwagon :wtflol: The old hanger put the frame side of the shackle about even with the bottom of the frame.

DSCF0141_zpsedrldmxd.jpg

DSCF0145_zpshy5dtcx3.jpg

New hangers, getting some bracing ran back to the shock mount/plate thing and frame. I still have a couple plates to put on these but they are close enough for me to figure out where my body mount has to go, its damn near on top of them.

DSCF0154_zpspteralpl.jpg

DSCF0155_zpstaqqn4ve.jpg

I'll keep my weld pics to my thread since they are fcaw trash. don't even bother wire wheel them most of the time :wtflol:

DSCF0156_zpsb3jsr6iy.jpg

Got the old xmember trimmed and tucked up into the new frame ends, along with a little more bracing. Yes there is another one that goes to the other side

DSCF0157_zpsjtq6gpwk.jpg

And the payoff is close loller.gif The back is just sat on so I could get some marks to figure out what needed to be trimmed cause of the bracing

DSCF0162_zpsbgv7nflu.jpg

No bumper required :smoke:

DSCF0166_zpsiqq0oumv.jpg

**Before anyone asks what I'm going to do about the front....I have no fawking clue yet. :flipoff1: sliders?3link?frenched hangers....really don't know. But Ill figure it out this weekend after I get the rear wrapped up.

16" out the body, little over 12" off the frame, and it ended up pushing the axle back another 2" when I got the leafs rotated up. Its not gonna be quite a comp cut, gonna try to keep it close to the way it was if I can but it only leaves about 2 inches on the end of the body before the corner. So... :dunno: Anyone ever comp cut a waggy before?

Gonna go ahead and flip the front leafs while I'm at it, to get the axle out a couple inches. Should be creeping on 118-120 with a 20ish belly give or take an inch. I need to unload the other '41 plymouth body so I can get on the 'pane before october :driving:

Appreciate it Ray :dblthumb: I really wanted to kick it in neutral and let it roll away down a hill that day, took a couple days to realize it went,rode, and only kinda broke and nothing but the nut for the shock bolt fell off. Hacked together a buncha **** to make it , cause I said I was gonna be there. It'll be a different truck come early next month tho :****:

Didn't get much done this evening.

Got the last couple braces ran back to the frame and the back end sat on and just about in place by myself, which isn't fun.
Couple hours of trimming and I get to tack it all back together. Body lines came out close enough that I can make it all work thumb.gif

DSCF0172_zpss9fwpznu.jpg

I left enough extra when I did the cuts to make sure I could make them line up if they were a little off. You can see the gap in the floor behind the fenderwell that reflects this. I'll trim enough out that it closes that gap up

DSCF0173_zpsxbsuzbti.jpg

Decide to comp cut it...had to say something that would make me chop it up even more didn't you Ray? :flipper:

Still early in the rough out, might end up a little higher. :dunno: :dunno:

DSCF0171_zpsbqikrheb.jpg

Looks good man! Maybe you will have it out by the time I have free time to go back out!

Thanks man, Congrats on the kiddo :dblthumb: Hoping it wont be down for long, front is gonna be a little tricky but I think I can get it worked out :driving:

Had another pic of the start of the comp cut

DSCF0170_zpsrruyh9o8.jpg

I like the chop, but it sucks that you are losing the taillights with the comp cut. They are one of the things that really make the waggy's what they are. Are you going to add your c pillar while you have things opened up?

I'm only kinda losing the lights, I'm thinking about putting them in the tail gate :****: The way I had to cut the fender/floor to clear, didn't leave much to support behind the light. Pretty sure one good hit and it would have folded it under or tore it off. At least I can save the actual light now laughing1 I think I have a pic of the way it looked.

As for the cpillar, I'm not sure yet. The roof is gonna take another section to make line up the way I want it. Might plate them and tie them into the cage, that was kinda how I wanted to do it anyways.

I got a few things done today, haven't had much time to mess with it since the last update. New FJs are a pain to work on for anyone that ever wondered :mad: Figured out the new inner fenders that brought some of the structure back to the corner, and started getting things tied back together. Ill get some pics in the morning or when I get them finished up