• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Won't be Long

Re: Want be Long

InDaShop said:
SWEET! Wont be long at all until I can drive my little buggy over, under and around that monster truck and not spill my beer doing it

Fixed it for you :spin:

Sorry I don't have a light weight high Horsepower buggy Nolen, but I still have fun and put on a show.

would have had one if Jason Berger wouldn't have backed out on me Twice!!
Anyway, I got what I want and thats all that matters. :flipgotcha:
P.S. See ya at the top of Flat Tire Flume ;D

Its all good and fun. Gotta have something to pick on you guys about ;)

I know, I don't think you understand how bad I want a light weight high horsepower buggy. I am just working with what I have right now.
I have already been talking to Woodlee about something small and light weight with about 500 HP

I see a lot of people throw a lot of HP in their lightweight buggy's quite often in the circles where I wheel.

The best combo that I see for reliability, control and performance is usually a bone stock or slightly modded LS-1 with 50-60:1 crawl (auto of course) and a rig around 3000-3500#

375-400 hp is more than enough for a rig like that and anything more is just for bragging rights. It is hard to get more HP than that to hook up and deliver in an off-pavement situation.

Start modding a small block to throw out 150-200 hp more than it originally came with, in my opinion, usually causes reliability, power curve and heat issues that I don't want to deal with on the trail.

My next rig will have a mostly stock LS-1. That motor will talk the talk.

0-50 in 3 seconds v 3.4 :p

Most rigs that are built to work well on the trail won't handle well enough to go too too fast out there in the whoops. I have found there has to be a compromise there. If Johnson Valley was my playground I would build something that was more pre-runner than rockcrawler and it would peel out like no other, but in the places I wheel, 50 mph is about it and that is not too often.

I have a buddy building a rock race rig with a lot of desert race components for 08 and he says it will go 90 mph in low range. I am very interested to see how that works out for him in the technical stuff.

Yeah when I was talking to Jason Berger he said his buggy who do 90MPH, I really wanted that buggy, still bothers me that he backed out on me.

wngrog said:
0-50 in 3 seconds v 3.4 :p

Most rigs that are built to work well on the trail won't handle well enough to go too too fast out there in the whoops. I have found there has to be a compromise there. If Johnson Valley was my playground I would build something that was more pre-runner than rockcrawler and it would peel out like no other, but in the places I wheel, 50 mph is about it and that is not too often.

I have a buddy building a rock race rig with a lot of desert race components for 08 and he says it will go 90 mph in low range. I am very interested to see how that works out for him in the technical stuff.

" in low range " :eek:

I like a rig that will haul ass and still get it in the technical stuff. I think that is why I like XRRA and the likes so much.

Cole said:
Yeah when I was talking to Jason Berger he said his buggy who do 90MPH, I really wanted that buggy, still bothers me that he backed out on me.

Jason's rig is tits, but boy has he flogged it.

I thought it was done....he was driving Trents at Donner when he rolled the hell out of it a couple of months back.

wngrog said:
Jason's rig is tits, but boy has he flogged it.

I thought it was done....he was driving Trents at Donner when he rolled the hell out of it a couple of months back.

He ended up selling it to some guy who didnt even know how to work the Atlas.
It poped up on pirate a couple of months or so ago, but I couldn't come up with the money.
I just really liked the axles, those things were badass and one of a kind.

Cole said:
He ended up selling it to some guy who didnt even know how to work the Atlas.
It poped up on pirate a couple of months or so ago, but I couldn't come up with the money.
I just really liked the axles, those things were badass and one of a kind.

yea he had like over 15 in those axles

that rig ****ing got after it and sounded sooo ****ing badass..... oh and the bottle was nice too--the sticker on his nitrous bottle is where we got the name for the rock race DVD.

wngrog said:
I see a lot of people throw a lot of HP in their lightweight buggy's quite often in the circles where I wheel.

The best combo that I see for reliability, control and performance is usually a bone stock or slightly modded LS-1 with 50-60:1 crawl (auto of course) and a rig around 3000-3500#

375-400 hp is more than enough for a rig like that and anything more is just for bragging rights. It is hard to get more HP than that to hook up and deliver in an off-pavement situation.

Start modding a small block to throw out 150-200 hp more than it originally came with, in my opinion, usually causes reliability, power curve and heat issues that I don't want to deal with on the trail.

My next rig will have a mostly stock LS-1. That motor will talk the talk.
the ONLY part I disagree with you on is the low range ratio. that's fine if you have a middle one (stak or 4 speed), but I want something between 35:1 and 45:1 for my trail running gear. when greyrock is wet, you want to shift (or not wet, **** it, spin them) and get some serious tire speed. I would say that a rig that has something in the 30's for the low and in the 50s or 60's for the low low is ideal as hell for the SE. The rest of your formula is exactly what I want for my build

If we don't start getting some rain soon then setting your rig up for Gray Rock when it's wet will not matter. For the past year it has been bone dry out there and you can pretty much crawl up everything.

When I had my LT-1 rig, I had it set up 3 diffenent ways:

4L60/Atlas 3.0/4.88's-sucker would peel out like a mutha, but the tires would break free too easy and the tranny heated up bad when really working the brakes/converter....zero engine compression braking 44:1

4L60/Atlas 3.8 (traded with Dibble)/4.88's-nice setup....best of the three. I loves the way it had enough wheel speed in 1st gear that it was moving when I hit a wall/waterfall, yet it was not shifting at about the time I needed lots of control. Good engine compression braking, it peeled out like a mutha-****a 56:1

4L60/Atlas 3.8/5.89 (built a Mog/9 and that was as high as I could go)-crawled like crazy, tranny never got hot, compression braking was tits...as good as a 100:1 manual. It was too slow in 1st when I wanted to get a good run at a vertical. It always wanted to shift into second when i needed the most control. I could lock it in 1st, but I really needed to let the tranny work to get the wheelspeed. The least fav. of the 3. 68:1

I have a 4 speed case now in a copmpletely different buggy. I love the selection I have with it. I think with an auto, the Stak 3 speed with 5.44 deep gear would be mega tits, however, I think I am going to keep it simple on my next rig and shoot for the middle of what I have run before....55-60:1

My next rig will have an LS-1/Stak 3.75/T350 with a low 1st gear like a 4L60E and 5.13's or 4.88's. Jim's Sunray buggy has LS1/4l60/3.8 Atlas/5.13's and it is so damn fast he cannot stay in the throttle through 3rd gear unless he has the suspension completely compressed on the bumps.

Anyway, lots of long answers, but like you, I want to be able to get my wheels spinning, but also don't want to generate heat and be too high in a technical situation. A 3/4 speed case is the best alternative for that, but I they bring driveline length and in the case of the Stak, weight into issue.

I would agree more if I knew what technical meant and had ever cared to try any of it :flipoff1: As you've probably read and maybe seen pics of, I don't try to let the tires get traction, I spin them as much as possible and hope one of them bites. That's why I want my ratio in the 40 range. I hate the feeling that you need a 1-2 shift because you are out of wheelpseed when you are on a wall or climb but you don't want to shift because it will throw your control off. I hated being too high geared with my 205 and 4.56's 22:1 :D), and absolutely LOVE the 35ish that I have now. it could be slightly lower. I know that heath's with 41:1 feels too low sometimes with 40's. I really like the way his feels with 44's

blacksheep10 said:
I would agree more if I knew what technical meant and had ever cared to try any of it :flipoff1: As you've probably read and maybe seen pics of, I don't try to let the tires get traction, I spin them as much as possible and hope one of them bites. That's why I want my ratio in the 40 range. I hate the feeling that you need a 1-2 shift because you are out of wheelpseed when you are on a wall or climb but you don't want to shift because it will throw your control off. I hated being too high geared with my 205 and 4.56's 22:1 :D), and absolutely LOVE the 35ish that I have now. it could be slightly lower. I know that heath's with 41:1 feels too low sometimes with 40's. I really like the way his feels with 44's

Clayton was not your thing huh?

wngrog said:
Clayton was not your thing huh?

Hell no it wasn't, all the Kansas boys did the whole time was moan and groan about not being able to try full-throttle hill climbs.

I enjoy the full throttle stuff, mostly watching it, but then again I have a 4.0 which means full throttle is not all that grand. It seems that driving style is too hard on parts and just puts you on your lid. Some people enjoy that, but I am not one of those. :flipoff1: I really enjoy technical crawls, which is why I enjoy Clayton so much. I looks more skillful when you can walk a line that others can't bash up. One of my favorite drivers to watch is David, that guy can put his CJ anywhere he wants it to go and it looks like he never breaks a sweat.