• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

would you run a ford 5.0L in a buggy?

STROKERYOTA

i cant deside on what eng to run for a build im working on, i would love to run a toyota 5.7L ;D but no way is that in the budget. im running the 4.3L with a 4L60E and a 3.8 atlas, i want to run a simple auto tranny i can run a manual valve body, definatly a v8 efi, been looking at the 5 liters bcuz of there price about half of a 5.3 or 6.0 chevy. just looking for some opinions.

There is almost just as much aftermarket for Sbf as the LS type motors,

A 5.0 just ain't gonna make as much power in stock form, but you could always use the efi on a 351w.

The ford motor will cost you more $ to build from stock to match the LS for power, but it's a solid engine choice IMO.

And you can run a c4 of you need a small trans, or a c6 if you want a cheap tough trans

I ran a 5.0 with a mild lunati cam and propane in the BII on rocks and loved it! Fordcontraption has a 5.0 cobra motor in his and i think hes happy with it. And the above post about the c4 trans is right... Plus lots of used parts to be had on the cheap.

STROKERYOTA said:
well what about the 5.8 then?

Are you going to use factory efi? Cut down your own harness? Buy one? Or full aftermarket efi?

The mustang maf efi has the most aftermarket support.

You'd have to use mustang style efi to be able to run big cams and tune the engine.

LS are popular for a reason. They are easy and you can buy virtually anything you need for them.

Ford harnesses are pretty easy to cut down yourself if that's the route you want to go.

I am using a stock 5.8 in the buggy I am building. I already had a built FMVB C6, and I wanted to run a Ford NP205.

The stock '89 5.8 is rated at 210hp @ 3800rpm and 315 ft/lb @ 2800rpm

a 2003 5.3 chevy is rated at 285hp @ 5200rpm and 325 ft/lb @ 4000rpm

as you can see, the Gen 3 Chevy motors are rev happy (safely spin 6500-7000 rpm), that is where they get their power. The stock truck heads are good enough that a simple cam swap and tune can net 50-80 hp on an otherwise stock motor.

I am using a cut down stock 1989 harness with stock speed density efi (reliable and simple, but not that good).

When I get ready for more power, I'll have to basically do a full build on the engine, Definitely need new heads to make any power. And I'll have to convert to a different style of fuel injection, either aftermarket or Mustand MAF w/ an A9L computer.

Only reason I'm using the 351W is that I already had it, and already cut down the harness.

http://oldfuelinjection.com/
&
http://www.rjminjectiontech.com/collections/efi-harness

^RJM has a lot of info on ford EFI.

Oh,
Another thing to consider is the LS style motors all have aluminum heads (except a few early truck motors). So consider that money in the bank when it comes to building an engine...

STROKERYOTA said:
i would love to run a toyota 5.7L ;D but no way is that in the budget.

Why would you want to run a motor that weighs more than a comparable LS motor, has little to no aftermarket support, and for the money is far less motor? Unless you're completely against it an LS is the way to go. cheap, easy, reliable and huge aftermarket support

Re: Re: would you run a ford 5.0L in a buggy?

Absolutely, without question. I am. Simply put, small v pattern for a tight frame , reliable, easy to get power, c4 is a strong trans for it size compared to other trans of its same size, huge aftermarket support. I would say that if you get into building one it is going to cost you. But what motor wouldn't?

On the other hand, the ls is ready to go in stock form.

I went with the 5l because I have had several and I know them. You could say I am a ford guy. But I definitely am not naive enough to deny that the LS is a great motor just the same.

You can by a built 5l reasonably priced from some mustang guy that is parting his car. That is essentially what I did, then I tweaked and tuned it for my needs.

Re: Re: Re: Re: would you run a ford 5.0L in a buggy?

afd516 said:
Absolutely, without question. I am. Simply put, small v pattern for a tight frame , reliable, easy to get power, c4 is a strong trans for it size compared to other trans of its same size, huge aftermarket support. I would say that if you get into building one it is going to cost you. But what motor wouldn't?

On the other hand, the ls is ready to go in stock form.

I went with the 5l because I have had several and I know them. You could say I am a ford guy. But I definitely am not naive enough to deny that the LS is a great motor just the same.

You can by a built 5l reasonably priced from some mustang guy that is parting his car. That is essentially what I did, then I tweaked and tuned it for my needs.

Describes me to the t.

What are y'all using to tune? I know about moats and megasquirt. Not sure which one ia easier to use or which one is better

AuburnXJ said:
Why would you want to run a motor that weighs more than a comparable LS motor, has little to no aftermarket support, and for the money is far less motor? Unless you're completely against it an LS is the way to go. cheap, easy, reliable and huge aftermarket support

to say i did it :dblthumb:

ranger11 said:
Describes me to the t.

What are y'all using to tune? I know about moats and megasquirt. Not sure which one ia easier to use or which one is better

http://www.tweecer.com/

TwEECer is pretty much the preferred EEC-IV tuing interface.

I've never used it but it seems to have a lot of support and has been around for a long time.

From what I understand though, the A9L computer is very good about self-learing self-tuning on most midly built motors.

TBItoy said:
LS are popular for a reason. They are easy and you can buy virtually anything you need for them.

Ford harnesses are pretty easy to cut down yourself if that's the route you want to go.

I am using a stock 5.8 in the buggy I am building. I already had a built FMVB C6, and I wanted to run a Ford NP205.

The stock '89 5.8 is rated at 210hp @ 3800rpm and 315 ft/lb @ 2800rpm

a 2003 5.3 chevy is rated at 285hp @ 5200rpm and 325 ft/lb @ 4000rpm

as you can see, the Gen 3 Chevy motors are rev happy (safely spin 6500-7000 rpm), that is where they get their power. The stock truck heads are good enough that a simple cam swap and tune can net 50-80 hp on an otherwise stock motor.

Oh,
Another thing to consider is the LS style motors all have aluminum heads (except a few early truck motors). So consider that money in the bank when it comes to building an engine...

Another good thing about LS is the information out there on them is incomparable, you can search pirate or google and find out anything you could possibly want to know about them.

Also it would bolt up to the trans you already have

5.0 is an awesome platform its probably gonna be in my next build or a 5.8 still the 5.0 is almost bulletproof stock form!!!! 225 horse over 300 ft. lbs torgue no brainer!!!!

First off you didn't say what year 5.0 the new 32v coyote 5.0 is a bad dude and ford Motorsport makes one turn key with cut down harness and all! :dblthumb: I'm a ford fan!

Re: Re: Re: would you run a ford 5.0L in a buggy?

al1tonyota said:
First off you didn't say what year 5.0 the new 32v coyote 5.0 is a bad dude and ford Motorsport makes one turn key with cut down harness and all! :dblthumb: I'm a ford fan!

I was wanting to put one in my jk but decided it would be a waste in there. I will have one, one day. That engine is a beast.

ranger11 said:
Describes me to the t.

ive got the megasquirt 2 v3.57 plug n play system on my mustang and i LOVE it! i like that fact that it replaces the old ECU completely instead of being a "piggyback" style tuner.