• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

XJ owners Help needed!!!

mtnbound

One of my Buds just bought his first Jeep product. 91 XJ 4.0 EFI 5 speed 220k.
When he picked it up he said the slave cylinder was out. Replaced the slave cylinder and put in a clutch kit. HE was driving around last night and all of the sudden lost clutch pedel and had to drive home without a clutch.

Is this a problem with these units??

If this is a problem what mods can be made so this does not happen on the trail??

Last edited:
I got the same rig and changed out my throw out bearing but it was a one peace from master to tranny.Maybe he has air in the line or a cracked line.

There is a dammit clip on the inside of the clutch on a lot of Jeep rigs. I've had to replace that clip a couple at times on various wranglers. If the clip falls off, then the slave becomes disconnected from the throwout bearing. Could be something as simple as this. This is on the ones with the internal slave cyl., I'm told some YJs and XJs have external slaves, but I just haven't had to work on one of them yet.

Labor is a PITA, but that's all.

If he's blown out the new slave cylinder, you might want to check for a collapsed hose from the master to the slave. JOOP had that happen to him, and after replacing the whole slave cylinder a couple of times, he finally figured out that the problem was the line had collapsed and wasn't allowing the fluid to return to the master, eventually blowing out the slave.

good luck, hope this helps.

Last edited:
I thought this thread was going to be...
"I'm broken down on the busywild and need help getting out!"

:redneck:

i've had nothing but issues with my factory clutch slave/master since i bought my cherokee. just something you gotta learn and deal with, unless you want to replace the whole unit. the fawkin clip pisses me off, but when it dont work, i know the two places to look. kinda like two fusible links on one parts :mad: