• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Your first REAL wheeling experiance

crash2

-Oh no I picked a side-
What was you VERY first time out wheeling in your own rig? I know for some this goes way back--back to the days of pre-ego.....pre--well built rigs...pre-big tires and ect.

But whats your story?

I actually had to sit and think about this for a while because my first time out was in somebody else's rig.

But my first experiance--and it really wan't much of anything as I look back--but it was still fun..

But my first trip was at night and we went deep into the sultan basin. This was back before the roads were well kept--before any of the picnic areas were there. My buddy heard about a cabin out there so we set off to find it. Well alot of what we did was someewhat worn out gravel roads (which now are well groomed) until we worked our way around the north end of the lake--where we found a small trail that shot off and into the deep woods. This was when i got my first experiance of deep water-well for 33's it was deep and did I mention it was dark--really dark.

Well we made our way to what looked to be a river and followed the road along it and there it was--and old cabin. From what we heard it was an old DNR fire watch cabin. back then it was fully loaded still--even had a fridge/beds in it.

It was nothing special but it was my first trip out --which was around 92' or so......

So lets hear your story...

Back seat of an International Scout, in the snow at Hyak near Snoqualmie Pass, as a little kid.

First wheeling experience where I drove was forest service roads and bootleg trails around Leavenworth/Peshastin after I first got my license. In other people's rigs (since I only had a 2wd '79 chevy van when I first got my license) and then in my first Jeep. I don't really recall the exact first time I "went wheeling", since we were "wheeling" mostly as a means to an end... to get somewhere out and away from the city and the police so we could drink, party and camp and not get hassled by the police. :redneck:

The first real wheeling I did in my first Jeep was some trails outside the Great Northern Cemetary outside Leavenworth. Not trails so much as "hill climbs", though one of them did go quite a ways back up the hill. It's gated off now because some asshats couldn't respect it.

Last edited:
when I got my jeep because before that I had the nissan and well that just wasn't wheeling lol.
you know what I mean right crash lmao..

First one for me was a private dirt track on private property, it was a great place to learn the basic limits of my 4runner, it was a good moto track.

Other then that, riding with uncles here and there growing up.

My own rig.....
about 16 or 17, 1980 k5 blazer, wheeling in to lily pond that back way (Upstate NY) and launching the piece of **** about 4 or 5 feet vertically and landing on all 4, at almost a dead stop, and pieces of the body falling off.
Not sure how the tires didn't blow.....
The doors and tailgate never opened quite right after that.
Made it in through the rock ledges, partied for a night, and drove back out the easy way the next day.....

I used to take my old mans 2x datsun all over the place before i got my license. Once i had that card it was game on in whatever I could get ahold of. I usually ended up wheeling my pinto station wagon... Funny but it was a GREAT hillclimber compared to my 4x datsun I had after that.. :D

As a kid, we wheeled all the time, first time was in my dad's flat fender somewhere in so/cal around '73...

First time wheeling as the driver/owner was in a '65 VW Baja down at the Stuck River in Alburn around '86... Just point and mash the gas...:awesomework:

My first in my own jeep was a few weeks after I bought it last march, it was a stock 98 4dr xj at the time on 30 inch all terrians. I went to Reiter for the first time with a nissan on 35's and a IFS yota on 33's. We were on the powerlines when the yota wouldnt stay in 4wd, we met up with a few other guys in yotas up there, who were from woodinville like us, and they immediatly knew what was going on with the yota.

After that was fixed we followed them up the power line trail to the hill climbs that are on the gravel road near the wall trail. The guys in yotas did a few climbs then my friend in the IFS yota decided he wanted to do one. He got up on the left side of the hill climbs to the top where there is a small spot to turn around. He was turned around when he got on a small mound and his truck got a little tippy. His passenger was leaning out the window to ballence the truck to keep it from flopping, the driver looked out the window on his side and as he did the truck flopped over onto the drivers side.

Needless to say this being my first time wheelin it was a great oh **** moment. The guys who had led us there promtly got one of their trucks up to the top and winched the yota back over. The yota lost a few quarts of oil but was able to drive back home. I ended up running the power lines and exploring the gravel roads of reiter with a buddy in his stock xj for the rest of the day when he got up there.

-Alex

driving my toyota in the fire roads of duvall... wasnt really wheeling. just kids exploring and having a good time in the woods. that's when it all started.:cheer:

Wheeled Glover's field (across the street from lochsloy between lake stevens and Granite) about 8 or 9 year's ago and finally my own junk probably 6 year's or so ago there, Suzuki Samurai, open carrier's 30" all terrains. Went there lot's, Definitely fall's in a close second behind reiter as far as the amount of fun I've had over the years.

In high school my two cousins and I stole my uncles blazer (we did it all of the time) and went night wheeling at honda hills. Any one remember honda hills?......We had no idea what we were doing and very nearly rolled it down a steep bank....Dumb ass kids.:rolleyes:
Must have been about "82 ish.

I used to take my Chevy to Moses Lake, 116th, and climb hills in gravel pits. I thought that was pretty cool at the time. :eeek:

But my first real wheeling was when I bought my jeep and did Naches Pass trail solo and bone stock. Only had to use the come along once or twice.:haha:
The girlfriend and I spent the night in the cabin at government meadows and woke up to elk grazing outside. Very cool fun trip, I've been fully addicted to wheeling ever since.:awesomework:

I grew up in jeeps. But first trip on my own, I was about 16, and a couple of guys invited me on a mud run around the old Mud Mountain Dam area. (Weyerhouser land was semi-legal to wheel then) Buried Dad's CJ, and thought I got it cleaned enough for him not to notice until he popped the hodd. :redneck:

I don't remember my first, but my first rig was a ford courier, and then a toyota, grew up about an hour north of Spokane and we wheeled all the skidder trails and meadows we could find. That was in the mid '80's

I got a 87' Mazda B2600 4x4 with an automatic for $1000 when I was around 16. I drove the crap out of it and thought it was the ****. The carb was crappy so I put a weber on it and the muffler was rusted out so I slapped a flowmaster on it. I used to pull up next to Hondas and rev it up, then pop it in 4Low with the hubs out and kill people off the line. The first time I went wheeling, me and my partner in crime from high school were supposed to be at a school party. But it was lame and near Snow Peak outside of Lebanon, OR, so we decided to run up there and screw around in some mud. We were bombing around on some logging roads rally style since every kid thinks they are Collin McRae when they are 16. It was also around 8pm and dark. We came across what appeared to be a muddy clearing and started blasting across it. Somewhere around the 3rd or 4th cross I discovered the 4ft hole in the middle of it. I hit it going across the ruts at around 35-40mph and went airborn then almost rolled it because it kicked me sideways. We pulled back onto the gravel road and got out to check things. I heard the rear driver's tire leaking air bad and of course I didn't have a jack. We hauled ass to one of my parent's friend's house about 2 miles away and the tire was trashed. He helped us change it and agreed not to tell me parents. I took my buddy home and went by the car wash and sprayed all the mud off. I ended up telling my parents that I hit a pothole and Les Schwab's changed the tire for me. I learned quite a few lessons from that first trip...

My first wheeling trip in my own rig.

I had just bought my CJ5, which had a blown motor, and got it running with Jeeptech1's help. The donor motor came from a Gremlin. Anyhow, I had a CJ5 with a V8, 3spd, d20 and 3.54s in the diffs on some 31 inch BigO tires.

Jeeptech and another buddy took me to Tahuya for the maiden voyage. We ran the carwash trail (long since closed) on the backside of the area (now only dirtbikes go there) during winter. The trail is thru a creekbed, and it had iced over. The ice was about 6 inches thick, and the creek was running about 3 foot deep. To go, my buddy had to climb his K5 onto the ice, break thru, and reclimb back up. Anyhow, he opened the trial that way, and I followed in the rear. The water was running thru the doors, just about ass-deep. I was scared. Didn't know what I was doing, them guys were way way up ahead of me. At that time, I was a lousy mechanic. And I was lost.

Had a great time. Got hooked. Been doin it 20 years now.