• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Your first REAL wheeling experiance

my first trip was july4'1989 my buddies and i were on weyco property up in humptulips. well it started with the i went throught here earlier today you can make he always forgets he had a military 1 1/4 ton jeep. well about midnight we finally got my stock f-250 hi-boy with street tires out. it was awsome needed new front bumper though .:haha: :haha: :haha:

Well my first wheeling was lame looking back :haha: but it was back in 1992 in my 88 Ranger with 6" lift and 33's running though the hills and mud and creeks what ever we could do was fair game then I traded for a CJ5 w/35's and ran it for a few years.

The first time I went to Evans creek. Up till that point is was mud bogging in an 88 Nissan truck with bald 31 inch ATs. I got my 98 ZJ before I had done any real wheelin. I knew I wanted a rig with a factory solid front axle and a V8 and fell in love with the ZJ. Had I known what the trails out here are like I would have picked something smaller.:haha:

The first time I rolled into Evan Creek I saw a group of fully built buggies just starting up the 311. I was jaw dropped. Especially when the dude leading us said we were going up the same way.:eek:

My $10,000 SUV (according to insurance when I totaled it) on 235-75-15 BFG Muds, sliders and a rear Aussie locker did the 311 and 520 trails that day. I was beside myself the whole time just white knuckling it. I had never seen anything like it but once I was driving home I knew I was in trouble. Sure enough, I am hooked.

The one year forest pass I bought the night before that trip just expired last month. I'm on my second ZJ on 33s with 3/4 ton running gear. I've come pretty far in the year since then. :D

This is a pic from the first time I really wheeled at Evans Creek.

jeep1.jpg

My first wheeling of the year was the hangover run . I drove my toyota 4runner and had a blast for being alittle stock .:haha:

my first wheelin exp. was when i was 12 my dad bought a subaru brat and we went to little michele river outside of eatonville across the log bridge , ill never forget that dad , my dad was my hero . i drove that brat to hell and back in two days ... coolest summer ever....since then ive owmed 25 4x4 .. wheeled in 9 states and introduced 4xing to many friends ./

I will have to go with after getting my 78 blazer fixed up and registered and on the way home went down some power lines and had a ball then got hooked on wheelin.

My first would have been around 5 years ago when i got my first Toyota at the age of 16. It was a 91 standard cab on 33" RVT's and a 2" BL :puke: plus it had the 3.slow :puke:. My friends and I would religuosly go up to Exit 38 (befor it got shut down) and play in the mud. Still to this day I've yet to be stuck (with the need of more then a tug off of something) or broken on a trail. At this very moment im knocking on wood. :redneck: I'm glad I got to experience that, It took me a few years and a few fast cars to realize it, but going slow has kept me out of trouble with the law! :awesomework:

Liberty

first real memory was with a bunch of the dads friends that are in the dirty
13 jeep club, we were wheelin across the highway, where you hang a left at the ranger station past the right turn to go to liberty...? sound right?
so we start up the trail, i was in a jeep 2 ahead of the dad, go up to first
big hill, we make it up, get a call over the radio dad's rolled, jeep's distrubitor
locked up jeep stalled at the steepest point. they rolled three times and hit a tree, if the tree was not there, the dad probably would not be here, pretty scary, but needless to say thats not goin to stop me, bought a rig/project lol
good times

:awesomework:

My first 4wheel trip in my own rig, ... Summer of 1979, in my brand new 1978 Chevy 1/2 T short bed truck. Four inches of lift and 33's. (BIG tires in that day:fawkdancesmiley: ). Wheeling out back of the old Riverside raceway in So Cal. Tearing it up till I busted a u-joint and blew a tire, bent the chrome bumper and scratched the paint. LUV'ed it ! 30 years later, and I am still busting u-joints, bending bumpers and scratching paint. :awesomework:

I wheel, ... therefore I am ! :masturbanana[1]:

My first wheelin' trip was the very first WATTORA run, held @ Shaw Lake in 2000. It was in my (stock?) '95 Tacoma. My VP (Craig Gerhe) recommended the trail for the first chapter trip.

We didn't have any problems out there, but I'm glad there were quite a few guys with experience, 'cuz I was greener than the moss on the trees when it came to wheelin' :rolleyes:

The first time i wheeled my own rig was feb of 94, I hit the roads etc in sultan basin at night with my buddy Brian. He took me wheelin for the first time in 88. He still owns the same rig... the fugly truggly

About 1974 was my first time wheelin. It was out behind Boeing in everett. Used to be about 5,000 acres out there to wheel and dirt bike ride. Hell back then there was 3 or 4 places right around everett to wheel.

It was in my dad's jeep truck some time in the late 70's and was only 4 or 5 years old. We were driving off road somewhere and got stuck. He told me he was going to put the truck in 4 wheel drive, got out and locked the hubs. When he got back in we started motoring along. All I could think of was how good four wheel drive worked.

First time I remember was in my dads new 1975 fj40. I was about 4 and my cousins dad had a red 75 cj5. We went wheelin in rimrock area. The first time I went wheelin myself I had a 65 j3000 longbox with 31s locked f/r with stock lockers and no power steering. We went in my neighbors field. I had alot of fun.

About 1974 was my first time wheelin. It was out behind Boeing in everett. Used to be about 5,000 acres out there to wheel and dirt bike ride. Hell back then there was 3 or 4 places right around everett to wheel.

I was able to wheel there about 4 times before it was closed down :booo:

I fell in love with wheelin' about 1974 riding around the Moses Lake sand dunes in my step dad's 72 Chevy 4x4 truck.

I grew up wheelin' on a ranch with mostly 2 wheel drives.

I started wheeling my own truck in 1981. It was a stock 2wd 1974 Ford Courier with a heavy camper shell. Most of the time we would hill climb at the tracks in Riverbank California. Sometimes we would wheel the trail a long the river. Being only 2 wheel drive with close to street tires I learned a lot. You can laugh at my little 2wd pickup, but it out did a lot of other vehicles that were close to stock.

In the army I got to wheel a lot of different trucks in Germany. My off time I use to take every back road I could find. Some of them got real muddy and I would get stuck in my car. One of the times was on Christmas Eve. I was stuck and it took us hours to get the car out. We were in the middle of the woods far from any town. No one to pull us out. We did a lot of jacking. I have a picture somewhere. Anyways we got back real late and our girl friends were POed we missed the Christmas family thing.

After I got out of the army in 1986, I bought my first 4wd. It was a 1977 GMC Jimmy. I took it everywhere I could fine to wheel in California. Mostly we wheeled in the mountains. Pismo Dunes was a blast. In the fall of 1988 I moved to Washington. We wheeled everywhere we could find around Pierce and King Counties. Ravendale was one of the fun places and then it got closed. We did a lot of exploring around Green Water in the 1989 and 1990. I ran Naches trail once in the Jimmy not knowing anything about the trail. It was tight but we made it through without damaging the trail or the rig. I did get one small dent from an off camber wet area. I just gave that old Jimmy away a few years ago. I owned it for 18 years.

besides running around logging roads sence i was around eleven in 2wd trucks it wasn't intill 94.

i had a 1994 chevy s-10 highrider and beside to go above wilkerson up in the snow. was doing find intill there was no more tracks went to far and got stuck.

had to learn the hard way about being prepared. i was up there with no shovel or any thing exept a hammer and the clothes i was wearing not to mention i was wearing my cowboy boots.

after a long time of trying to dig in out up came a guy in a cj-7 or cj-5. he pulled me out and i backed down out of his way because he wanted to keep going higher.

well i ended up sliding into the ditch and he went forward up the road and got high centered in the snow and ran his battery dead.of coarse my battery wouldn't work because it had only side post and i didn't have a winch at that time.

so we both walked out to wilkerson,13 miles . where i called my wife to come and get me. called my uncle the next day to help recover my truck.

soon after that i went and bought a winch for that truck, which is the same one that i have on my jeep today.

learned to never go up in the snow without warm boots, clothes, and atleast a shovel.

I went into the military in 1979, found my way to Europe stationed with the G-2 section of the 2nd Armored forward...Trained as a tanker I ended up driving a jeep for a Intellegance officer all over the German borders from the Folda Gap up to the Czech Border in all weather and trails...I spent 2 years doing this and was always in the field, like spent 18 out of 24 monthes 4 wheeling staight and it was a friggin ball...This was way before Humvees, driving the jeeps

Got home in 1983 and bought a 1975 CJ_5 and wheeled till it was stolen, got married and lost my mind....

but I am back and I feel much beter now...:eeek:

went out to Thompson creek area, in my 78 Dodge w100, 3 body, add a leafs, 36's and cut body, listen to friend and thought, ok, I can make it. Nosed dived into a water hole deeper than first though, Ended up getting pulled out by a Fullywrecked and Deez. Fullywrecked pulled me back home with his Toy, And had to replace engine,and trans, what a learning curve.:mad: