• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

youth deer rifles

I have a buddy who is starting his 8 year old daughter this year with a AR15. I questioned his choice and he said it does not kick much harder than a 22, and its accurate and plenty to put a deer down.

My dad started me with a Model7 in 7mm-08. I wouldn't recommend this, the recoil isn't youth class in my opinion. I started both my kiddos shooting a Remington .22 to learn the basics. I intentionally configured eye relief and length of pull to mimic a Remington 700 youth which I purchased in .243. When it came time to sit on the stand with them at 9 years old their beloved .22 was replaced with the .243. They applied the same principles and technique to shoot and boom, great clean shots were made. My daughter shot her first deer at 180 yards, double lung. My son shot his first with the same rifle at 110yds, heart shot. Neither complained about it not really even realized they were handling a much higher powered rifle. Now they both enjoy shooting it along with a multitude of other guns at the range. Admittedly, their 2 favorite guns to shoot are an adjustable stock AR and a 17HMR.

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO

Re: Re: Re: youth deer rifles

Tater said:
I have a buddy who is starting his 8 year old daughter this year with a AR15. I questioned his choice and he said it does not kick much harder than a 22, and its accurate and plenty to put a deer down.
And the pistol grip will usually fit small hands better.

my 8 yr old dropped this big hog in its tracks with one shot this past sat for juvenile season. He was shoothing his cva hunter model single shot 7mm08

Attachments

• hog.jpg
    hog.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 91
  • hog1.jpg
    hog1.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 76
I prefer a 7mm08 youth model for children because it is a little more forgiving than a .243 because the shot placement with the .243 needs to be much more precise. And that 7mm08 does some damage when it hits. My daughter has a Remington and I just picked up my son a new Savage yesterday. The Savage I am told is very accurate and at $300 new you cannot beat it for the money. Neither of my children have ever complained about recoil with the 7mm08. My daughter has hunted with hers since she was 12 and my son is 9.

Another for the 30-30 with a shoulder pad, very forgiving gun, can be dropped in mud and still work.
Hornaday makes their "Lever Revolution" pointed bullets that are a huge upgrade over the ball nose ammo 30-30 round we all grew up on.

Far right.
IMG_0290.jpg

I grew up learning on a Winchester 94 30-30 (1975) my mom still has it on top of the refrigerator in her house loaded. Longest hit was roughly 440 yards (sitting on the road in the driverseat, w/ gun resting on the mirror and hitting a coyote standing at the 1/4 mile fence), I missed the 1st shot but he didnt move and I dropped him on the 2nd.) Last year I bought my own 94 (1974) paying a little over $600 on Gunbroker but it was pristine, I'm still not sure it was ever fired, and have added a top rail and Leupold scout scope.

These are Brownells #'s
006-000-035 WINCHESTER 94 LEVER SCOUT MOUNT $49.50
526-000-139 FX-II SCOUT 2.5X28 MATTE DUPLEX $299.99
955-000-007 49160 1 MED GLOSS SURE GRIP RINGS $28.00

Surprisingly I dont have a pic of mine at all. It looks pretty much like this but my sling and butt cover are leather.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 142
yep, I think the 30/30 will work fine. got a buddy that is a gun smith and he has a stock all ready cut down
with a pad on it. probably get it done this weekend.
thanks guys I know my grandson will love it.

I started with a 7MM-08 and still use it to this day. Has plenty of knock down power and not much kick to it. Great rifle. I have used one for 19 years.