• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Zoom clutch?

MarcW

anyone using a zoom clutch? i am looking into a new clutch, choices are a Ram high performance model, a centerforce, and a Zoom, aside from the factory replacement. is there going to be an aftermarket clutch that can handle my right foot, and tendancy to do alot of 4 wheel low clutch drops off road? stock clutch was still gripping well, but the friction material was almost gone, and the slave/master couldnt adjust out enough. any thoughts are welcome. I know a couple people with zoom clutches in muscle cars, but no offroaders.

TIA.

Marc.

have one in the race rig and its held up fine. lots of sidesteping the clutch at 3500 with no issues. fairly stiff springs in them though. I use a cenerforce in the jeep and have for years. only downside to them is the diaphram type fingers dont like mud. Had one get stuck open once at Tahuya required pulling the tranny and bell to get all the crap out from behind the fingers:mad:

Last edited:
I've been stuck on the trail while another guy pulled the tranny twice because of mud in the CenterForce clutch. I recently installed a Luk Gold in my YJ. The OE is Luk. Not sure what vehicle your asking about. If it's a Dodge Cummins look no further than Southbend Clutch.

4.0 liter HO/AX15 96 cherokee that sees some throttle. pokey- ever have problems with mud in the Zoom? i have heard it from a few people about the centerforces and mud.

i have tried every clutch made from my hotrodding days to wheeling and none of the aftermarket clutchs i have tried stand up near as well as a brand new OEM clutch. the balance of gription ansd spring pressure is the best .

i have broken centerforces, zooms and about fifteen other aftermarkets and the clutch pressureplate and throwout bearing in my jeep and my hotrod mustang are now and will always be FOMOCO. the one in my mustang has been in service a long long time.

im just not a fan of aftermarket clutchs.

4.0 liter HO/AX15 96 cherokee that sees some throttle. pokey- ever have problems with mud in the Zoom? i have heard it from a few people about the centerforces and mud.

Nope its just a basic 3 finger type clutch. being the racer it dosent see a lot of deep mud unless I get real stupid and go to a mud bog with it:haha:

i have tried every clutch made from my hotrodding days to wheeling and none of the aftermarket clutchs i have tried stand up near as well as a brand new OEM clutch. the balance of gription ansd spring pressure is the best .

i have broken centerforces, zooms and about fifteen other aftermarkets and the clutch pressureplate and throwout bearing in my jeep and my hotrod mustang are now and will always be FOMOCO. the one in my mustang has been in service a long long time.

im just not a fan of aftermarket clutchs.

hey hip, how hard are you on your clutches? i beat mine hard.