• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Zuk Buggy 2.0

sleepsontoilet

I guess I've got enough parts gathered, it's time to start a thread for the new buggy. I had a little glitch in custody, so the old Zuk had to be sold to get my son.

Had a little left over, so I ordered the best axle parts in rock crawling from Jesse Haines. He shipped me a pair of Trail Gear housings, 14" Spidertrax rotors, RCV outers and 4 Pistons Willwood calipers. I decided to run the same drivetrain as the last buggy with a little more power.

Parts list includes-
2004 GTP Series III
AW4/300
LP 4.56 Yukon 3rds with Grizzly Lockers
H1 Portal outers/ Trail Gear housings
42" Treps on Procomp Vapor IIs
And a little Zuk sheetmetal

Wanted a little more backspacing, but didn't have the money for forged so I grabbed these.

Sourced a mangled tub for a few bucks

Started on the subframe

Set the drivetrain in to start on crossmembers

Hope to start the A pillar tomorrow, and measure the housings to be cut down.

GONOVRIT said:
This is going to be awesome :woot: what transmission are you running? I just got one of those engines myself.
Isuzu 3.5L automatic bellhousing, Jeep AW4, AW4 torque convertor. You have to redrill the 3800 flex plate, and weld a couple 3/8ths washers to the torque convertor for spacing. Then decide how you'd like to shift the solenoids. I prefer the RAD Designs shifter, even though it isn't cheap.

Your old buggy was one of my favorites. Love a simple zuk buggy. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Side note, whereabouts in ohio did your old buggy go? Hopefully I'll get to se it around.

VERY NICE! I was lost when you started posting pictures of the new tub since I had no idea the old buggy was gone. Now it makes sense...and I can't even begin to fault you for getting rid of it! CONGRATS I know I'd do anything I could for my son too.

Would you mind putting a complete portal box and inner C on a scale and posting the weight. Seriously considering pulling the trigger on 2 sets of portal boxes for my new buggy, but I want to see how much they weigh first.

Stinkin awesome man. I'm diggin this build. I hope it goes smooth

Are you gonna hang on to a 205 final drive or run a 4spd atlas or crawl box?

I know you wheel where I do and how technical it gets. Just curious.

mckeddie said:
Your old buggy was one of my favorites. Love a simple zuk buggy. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Side note, whereabouts in ohio did your old buggy go? Hopefully I'll get to se it around.

Thank you, and his Facebook says Doylestown, Ohio. His name is Scott Smith.

clemsonjeep said:
VERY NICE! I was lost when you started posting pictures of the new tub since I had no idea the old buggy was gone. Now it makes sense...and I can't even begin to fault you for getting rid of it! CONGRATS I know I'd do anything I could for my son too.

It wasn't the first thing I wanted to do, but I had to have the money and quick. It was bittersweet seeing it load on the trailer.

LightBnDr said:
Stinkin awesome man. I'm diggin this build. I hope it goes smooth

Are you gonna hang on to a 205 final drive or run a 4spd atlas or crawl box?

I know you wheel where I do and how technical it gets. Just curious.

I run a stock 300, same as the last rig. It's what Jesse runs in his, and Steve Johns from Australia too. I'll leave it till it splatters.

My OCD got the best of me, chopped 4" :D

fl-krawler said:
Would you mind putting a complete portal box and inner C on a scale and posting the weight. Seriously considering pulling the trigger on 2 sets of portal boxes for my new buggy, but I want to see how much they weigh first.

This is what Jesse posted on Facebook.

How much up travel did the old rig have? Going the same travel/shocks on this one?

stano said:
How much up travel did the old rig have? Going the same travel/shocks on this one?
The last one had around 4.5" uptravel with a 16" belly at ride height. I'm considering running 2.5 air shocks on this one, but may get 2.0 like the last one depending on the budget. I can get some 2.5s for around $1500. I'd like to run a little less oil so it's not so harsh of a ride, and I "hear" running a 2.5 would help. The portals and 42s will make this one around 20-22" belly, even if it's "low".