• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1943 MB Tube thingy updates...

heep70 said:
Spend some more money on it, so we can see more updates. :corn: :cheer: :D

Well if you want to see more you can send all the paypal donations to my e-mail - I swear all goes to the jeep :flipoff: :flipoff: :flipoff:

But seriously I am aware that it is going really slowly but I am make some progess...

I will get some motor pics up tomorrow... :rolleyes:

Harvester of Sorrow said:
Someday this thing will get finished....right Matt?

I have been e-stalking you and this build up ever since you built your rims up...and started the tube work...and cut the body...and....

How long ago was that now...? 2-3 years ago:clappy:

You don't know the half of it - I thought Lacky was bad when he had 7+ years into the 4-runner... I bought this thing in 1998... :wtf:

LPG Stroker Motor Pics

Only 3 days lag :looser:

This is what I have going under the hood - jeep six .040 over with 258 crank and rods - .060 off the top of the block to bring the quench back...

Everything has been balanced within 0.1 grams...

The gilmer (cog) belt drives off a hub that picks up the extra .420" of crank snout from the 258 crank and also uses 3 5/16" countersunk allen screws in the puller holes of the damper... Then I used a longer AN -8 bolt for the damper bolt to hold it all together

SInce I am using an external hydraulic pump I did not want the OEM p/s pump - so what you see is a factory part - just impossible to find; the tensioner blocks came on YJ's with manual steering (lots of those running around; huh!) :rolleyes:

And if you cant tell I got a bit carried away with the electroless nickel plating

Enjoy

Matt

Attachments

• loose_motor_front.jpg
    loose_motor_front.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 521
  • loose_motor_left_side.jpg
    loose_motor_left_side.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 514
  • loose_motor_right_side.jpg
    loose_motor_right_side.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 520
  • ps_pump_dummy_block.jpg
    ps_pump_dummy_block.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 503
  • oil_pump_gilmer_drive.jpg
    oil_pump_gilmer_drive.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 510
heep70 said:
WOW, lots of moneys there. That should be some big horses for your ride.

Start with two free blocks (thanks Robin), some trips to the pull-apart yard, LPG stuff off ebay, and a good eye for scrounging

Way less than you think - the rebuild kit was ~ $375 - another $350 in machine work (since I did not feel like trying to do it here at the shop), ~ $100 in lpg stuff and ~$150 in misc plating and other expenses... All in pretty cheap for "doing it right"

I am the king turd polisher - you should see my D30 :stirpot:

I am waiting to the heeps of sh1t about the plated motor mounts!

Last edited:
crash said:
Wow--- lookin good matt

And if you pull a lackey I will beat you down :D

It's good to feel the love :flipoff:

If I ever had a problem it is not selling things - I still have crap I don't even run; like 4+ p/s boxes for the cherokee...

Anyone want some saginaw boxes - free to a good home!

wanderingwillys said:
It's good to feel the love :flipoff:

If I ever had a problem it is not selling things - I still have crap I don't even run; like 4+ p/s boxes for the cherokee...

Anyone want some saginaw boxes - free to a good home!

Are they the same at whats in a zj?

crash said:
Are they the same at whats in a zj?

Should be the ones - how many do you want - most have been drilled and tapped for hydro assist - and a few are missing caps but all ran and did not puke oil at one point...

wanderingwillys said:
Should be the ones - how many do you want - most have been drilled and tapped for hydro assist - and a few are missing caps but all ran and did not puke oil at one point...

Oh reallllly.. I was going to drill and tap it so I could swap it out on kelly's rig :redneck:

So what should the engine put out torque wise..I was thrown for a loop when i saw yer putin a 6 in there, I figured a v-8 for sure...Going for "low" weight or what was the plan there? Man, I seriously dont care if you ever get it done, Just keep posting unique eye candy...Looks great.

Edit: the nic plating is bitchen..if ya got any stainless i can electro polish it 4 ya.

I know the motor and had two blocks so I said what the hell... I also like the idea that most spares cross over from my XJ to this

I don't know a torque number but I figure low 200's on HP and probably similar ftlbs - but we'll see...

Plus I wanted to be different...

Matt

I should have some more homebrew doubler box stuff in a little while - NP242 went under the axe....:corn:

War-Jeeper said:
That thing is sick! I see some of it that even resembles my rig!!! What did you start out with originally?

I had done a bunch of work to what is in these pics but all the other pics are hard copy - I will try and find the original photos when I bought it...

This was when the project went from the bland 1 ton running gear and 38's planned to full tilt rockwell/53's/4 wheel steer...

Matt

Attachments

• buggy_uncut2.jpg
    buggy_uncut2.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 441
  • buggy_cut1.jpg
    buggy_cut1.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 444
  • buggy_cut91.jpg
    buggy_cut91.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 449
  • buggy_cut8.jpg