• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1st/second gen toy fuel tanks

crash2

-Oh no I picked a side-
SO help me refresh my memory. From what I remember the fuel tanks are the same on length from the first gens to the second gens with some differences in capacity in hieght. From what I can tell the 3rd gen 4 runners are roughly 4" longer.

My memory may be sketchy as i tend to forget things i dont want to remember.

Arnt the 4runner tanks longer since the height of the tank is different to allow more floor space?

My memory may be sketchy as i tend to forget things i dont want to remember.

Arnt the 4runner tanks longer since the height of the tank is different to allow more floor space?

I believe the 4 runner tanks slope down at the front due to the body slope for the back seats. Granted with what I have its a mute point as the floor has been cut out and fits the current first gen tank thats in there and its a first gen truck frame.

I believe the 4 runner tanks slope down at the front due to the body slope for the back seats. Granted with what I have its a mute point as the floor has been cut out and fits the current first gen tank thats in there and its a first gen truck frame.

correct. the runner tanks slope down in the front.

I know for a fact that a 3rd gen truck tank is the same demensions as a 2nd gen truck tank.

with that being said i also know for sure that a first gen runner tank bolts up to a 2nd gen extra cab frame

hope this somehow helps:redneck:

Here is something interesting. Ok on the mounting holes on the tank I pulled its close to 30". A first gen runner is roughly 34" so I am going to guess all second gen trucks are also roughly 34".

I wonder if a first gen shortbed truck has a shorter tank? Thats the only thing that would make sense.

Here is something interesting. Ok on the mounting holes on the tank I pulled its close to 30". A first gen runner is roughly 34" so I am going to guess all second gen trucks are also roughly 34".

I wonder if a first gen shortbed truck has a shorter tank? Thats the only thing that would make sense.

not certain ,but i thought that short bed standard cab trucks had a small tank then 4 runner/extra cab/long bed

not certain ,but i thought that short bed standard cab trucks had a small tank then 4 runner/extra cab/long bed

Its been a very long time since we goofed with this type of stuff so my memory is slowly catching back up :haha: But I am going to have to say this was a short box frame......

Mike i just put a tape on an old gen 2 extra cab tank. the mounting distance is roughly "35.25

Same thing(When I got more precise) as I got which also is the same with a 1st gen long bed tank (I still have my old one :redneck:).

:eeek: interesting.. difference from carb to efi tank? or maybe 88-89 v6 to efi tank

Mike-do you need a tank for sams rig?

Yes mark is right--but its in the hieght of the tank thats different in the sizes..

Not anymore--I am cuting stuff off his rig as I speak(ok in a second anyways) :redneck:

Yup first gen short box is the only one that is shorter than the rest. Second and third gen all have longer tanks and the added capacity on the longer wheel base chassis is due to the longer tall portion. :D