• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

2000 F250 7.3 super duty starting issues

boxboy

can I be your friend...
So my truck has been starting hard... it takes lots of cranking to start even with cycling the glow plugs a couple times has no effect...

I have an edge programer and it is set to tow mode...

I am pulling 2 codes

first code:
P1670-EF FeedbackSignal Not Detected
second code:
P0475-Exhaust Press. Control valve Malfunction

an thoughts on what is going on?

glow plug relay or glow plugs. I had a relay short once and took out every glow plug. the relays go bad a lot. I replaced 3 and then went to an upgrade you can find out about on Superduty or PSD forums

I would plug in the block heater if it starts easy my guess would be glow plugs or relay
X3?
But it's not cold enough to need a heater.
I hate to ask the obvious! But, have you checked your battery connections??

I've found this time year, some of my rigs start hard, & I go through the connections, problem solved.
We've got alot of moisture around here. That's where I'd start.

Also, my 7.3 has a hard start if the oil is low. I'm sure you've checked that.

Not glow plugs it's too warm outside. As stated check battery connections and also have batteries tested. If both batteries aren't good it will crank too slow to start right up.

Check the voltage on both terminals of the GP relay when you 1st turn the key on. With a cold engine it should stay energized for 1-2min. It shouldn't drop much below 11.5v. If there is only power at 1 terminal , it's either toast or not being turned on.

Also, I can't remember if the '00 has a EBP sensor but they are prone to plug up causing those codes. There will be a steel tube running from the drivers exh manifold to a bracket on the front of the dr side head. There is a sensor screwed into the tube. Remove the tube/sensor and clean it out with brakleen.

EBP sensor will cause hard starts
glow plugs make a difference in all temps
ONLY use ford or international glow plugs
upgrade to a stancor GPR
also when is last time CPS was replaced?

Check the voltage on both terminals of the GP relay when you 1st turn the key on. With a cold engine it should stay energized for 1-2min. It shouldn't drop much below 11.5v. If there is only power at 1 terminal , it's either toast or not being turned on.

Also, I can't remember if the '00 has a EBP sensor but they are prone to plug up causing those codes. There will be a steel tube running from the drivers exh manifold to a bracket on the front of the dr side head. There is a sensor screwed into the tube. Remove the tube/sensor and clean it out with brakleen.

7.3L is on the passenger manifold...steel tube runs right up to the sensor located near the heater hose nipple above the water pump. There is an access cover (for the HPOP pulley bolts) that it mounts to....

If the glow plugs make a difference at 60 degrees then there's also something else wrong with the engine. At 60 degrees the engine should fire right off with no glow plugs.

I'd check the battery terminals again, as well as the age/condition of the batteries. Mine had this issue a few years ago and it turned out to be one of the batteries had a dead cell and was dragging the whole system down.

I was thinking charging system as well and i had the alt tested and it was on the way out but should have still been providing enough volts but I replaced it. battery connection are good but it could still have a weak battery I will have them checked.

I also had an issue with glow plugs but it was not the plugs it was the valve cover connector came loss and ford had an upgraded valve cover gasket/harness thing after replacing these I had good voltage at the wires for left and right side.

I have replaced the CPS once... truck died in the middle of highway 2 :haha:

I have not done anything with the exhaust back pressure sensor I think my edge programer will read the data but i can take it off and clean it... Hey look you tube vid on how to clean it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4uCI8MH62U

If the glow plugs make a difference at 60 degrees then there's also something else wrong with the engine. At 60 degrees the engine should fire right off with no glow plugs.

in another thread you asked if running short one lug nut was ok for short term. glow plugs get operated everytime you turn the key from off to on and assist the engine in starting.

in another thread you asked if running short one lug nut was ok for short term. glow plugs get operated everytime you turn the key from off to on and assist the engine in starting.

WTF do wheel studs have to do with glow plugs???????? Yes the glow plugs are cycled every time the engine is started but the engine will start just fine without the glow plugs at 60 degrees.

WTF do wheel studs have to do with glow plugs???????? Yes the glow plugs are cycled every time the engine is started but the engine will start just fine without the glow plugs at 60 degrees.

i was merely pointing out that you asked a very non technical question that is widely known and didnt even know how to replace a stud. as a powerstroke ages and looses compression and HP oil pressure to open the injectors old glow plugs or failing relay can cause hard starts. even when warm.

i was merely pointing out that you asked a very non technical question that is widely known and didnt even know how to replace a stud. as a powerstroke ages and looses compression and HP oil pressure to open the injectors old glow plugs or failing relay can cause hard starts. even when warm.

You're a clown, you don't know me at all...... I know very well how a Powertroke works and I stand at what I wrote. At 60 degrees, glowplugs alone will not cause a hard starting issue. Poor HP oil pressure, low compression, etc are not glow plug issues.