• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

2001 tahoe fuel pump questions..

leadfoot067

what brand do i want? the ac delco is a good chunk of money vs what i can get on evilbay...anybody have experience with the different brands? its not bad yet, but the gauge just started geeking out today meaning i have a little time before i have to change it..

I've never had any brand come back on me defective at work, I'd grab whatever one you can get the best price on at the parts store.

I've never had any brand come back on me defective at work, I'd grab whatever one you can get the best price on at the parts store.

Worst advice ever... Some pumps have a 4 contact armatures, while the better ones have 6 or 8...
Get the best one YOU can afford. :awesomework: IF it's el cheapo, and you know it going in then fine...but...

I have used many brands over the years for these rigs...

I have mostly used the AC Delco pumps and buy them from RockAuto.com... they usually have been the cheapest prices for them.

I have used the Airtex pumps in the past (customer was on a tight budget) to only have to replace it a year or so later because the gauge issues continue to return and the pumps started to get noisy...

also... be prepared to have to change the electrical connector, as most of them for those years have a replacement eletrical plug that needs to be swapped out.

but all in all, with an empty tank it only takes about 30-60 minutes to replace...

this is a rig we like and will keep.my original plan was an AC DELCO..but my wallet wasnt liking the price...thanks for the input guys!

The gauge in my red truck acted weird from the time I bought it till I stopped driving it and never needed a pump. I bought it around 75k and it has 195k on it now. I wouldn't get to worried about it unless its showing other signs of a fuel pump issue. Also the pump in that truck was so loud you could here it over the stock radio if the window was down.

These trucks have a lot of stepper motor issues in the gauge cluster so i could just be that.