• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

2008 Super Duty Blend Door Actuators

tobyw

Anyone dealt with replacing the blend door actuators on a 2008-2010 Super Duty with the dual zone EATC? I am pretty sure I can get to the upper one that is buried in the dash, behind the air bag and all that, but it's the lower one that has me puzzled... It is mounted from the bottom, and sits directly above the transmission tunnel? I can't figure out what kind of tool might be available to access the screws???? Is there a tip/trick anyone has developed to change these suckers out short of literally pulling the entire dash and HVAC unit out??

They are tight...Maybe pull the carpet back to net you a little extra room? I've used a short screw bit, and 1/4" ratcheting wrench on others, but have not done an '08-'10 model...

I'm not sure, but is it possible that this era truck, like the earlier ones, is susceptible to broken blend doors? The square drive end of the door where the actuator slips into on the earlier trucks is known to bust off one half of the drive...time to pull the HVAC assembly at that point...

Also, if both actuators are not working or quit working at the same time, maybe you're dealing with another issue (electrical) that's keeping them from working...

Yeah, this one is a little weird... There is a section of duct that runs over to the passenger footwell, which literally rests on the trans tunnel. The actuator is sandwiched between that duct and the bottom of the HVAC housing. To even be able to see the fasteners, you have to pry that duct down and mash it as flat as possible. The duct is also held in place with fasteners from the bottom...

And yes, both actuators are wonky, and apparently it's a known issue with this era of Super Duty. They both function fine, but constantly search for home and you can hear them buzzing and clicking, and every once in a while you can hear the blend doors knocking loudly. Doesn't do it all the time, but probably 8/10 key cycles.

I've only had the truck a few weeks, but this has annoyed me from the day I brought it home and I just want to get it fixed.