• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

27 splines?or 30 splines

monstaru

ok, so i will be getting my new tires soonish. they are 37's.stock axles and birfs will only go so far with my oversized right foot(i am from the south you know:haha:)....)
after running through about 50 threads associated with searching (longs, longfields, 30 splines, etc) on this site, pirate, and yota tech i cannot find out why everyone has gone to the 30 besides them being stronger.the 27's have the same warranty right?i mean 8500 pounds versus 6500 pounds seems significant ..,,but....

is it just what the cool kids do?or is it because they are running v-8s and want the extra gooshy feeling inside?
this rig will not see more than 150 horsepower unless an ej205(02-03 WRX engine) falls into my lap anytime soon.but thats a whole other talk show.

good gearing, probably not locking the front at first.if i do i'll weld it(trail rig only)you think i can get away with 27spliners?

i read the old pirate thread from like 04 about when bobbies first chromos weere out, and the pig inners, etc....the arguement there was that if anything DID break, you had the stock pieces to repair with ......
cheers, b

EDIT:so, who here has actually broken 27 spline longs?:stirpot::corn:

Last edited:
Is the extra 35$ gonna kill you? Why not just get the best of the best and never have to worry about your front axles again. 30-spline all the way:beer:

W/open front diff there is no need for longfields. As far as 27 or 30 spline? If your gonna upgrade pay a few extra bucks for the best option. Its worth it.

I ran 27 spline longs for a long time, busted a set of CroMo inners from polyperformance and the birfs didn't seem to care. Swapped in stock inners when the poly's took a **** and only busted on inner after that and I fully expected it to break before it did.

That said if you have a limited budget I'd get 27 spline long birfs and run stock inners. The stock inners will bread before a hub gear so you won't waste a birf. When you have another $400 for 30 spline inners and hub gears send the birfs back to be rebuilt as 30 spliners and be done with it.

Last edited:
Ask that question again the next time you are on the trail and tearing apart the front end while everyone is standing around giving you **** because you broke and now you are right in the middle of the trail and can't steer enough to get out of the way and no one can get around you and you are ruining everybody's day of wheeling.

That's the difference between 27 and 30 splines.

With an open front, stock birfs will be ok but carry a spare. If you got the money buy 30 spliners and be done with it. Get the hub gears with them. I ran the 30's with a 302, C4, dual cases and only broke a hub gear. Take into consideration what your wheeling is... rocks, trails, snow, ect. Get the best you can afford. Don't weld your front.:looser: and stay out of watersheds.

i am running 5.29's with a detroid in the front stock axles, 37/15/13.5 brand new boggers, and havent had a problem with the axles yet, except my trunion brearing on pas side. knock knock on wood lol

Ask that question again the next time you are on the trail and tearing apart the front end while everyone is standing around giving you **** because you broke and now you are right in the middle of the trail and can't steer enough to get out of the way and no one can get around you and you are ruining everybody's day of wheeling.

That's the difference between toyota axles and something good.

Fixed it for you. :awesomework:

i am running 5.29's with a detroid in the front stock axles, 37/15/13.5 brand new boggers, and havent had a problem with the axles yet, except my trunion brearing on pas side. knock knock on wood lol

Try harder :awesomework:

That's the difference between 27 and 30 splines.

OH Gary your so harsh. :haha: Tell us what you really mean.:worship::bananadance:

If the cost difference between the 27 and 30 spline shafts is a concern, maybe you should consider building a cheaper 4x4 like a sami or subi.

Brian, if you can, go the distance and get the 30's with the chromo hub gears and be done...If you can't-well then I guess it's 27spliners then huh!:redneck: With a rig as light as you're building, I think you'd be ok...but the 30's will give you that much more added insurance against breakage....:;
it was said before---don't weld the front...go lock-right if on a budget, but don't weld it...

If the cost difference between the 27 and 30 spline shafts is a concern, maybe you should consider building a cheaper 4x4 like a sami or subi.

i never said anything about money....

it was more a "what the hell is he still making 27 spline axles for if everyone is buying the 30's"

i was thinking there was a demand for them, and if i fit into a bracket that would benefit from the cost savings or not...because they were so close in price it did not make sense to me....
and, i am building a roo:fawkdancesmiley:

cheers, b