• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

4WS Trail-Buggy Build - Bent Fab EVO2

Re: Re: Re: 4WS Trail-Buggy Build

Neal3000 said:
Good thinking, it would be dumb to waste good money on a nice cover for that pos d70 :flipoff1:

All I've ever done to Toyota axles is weld a strap up the gear bump, worked fine for me.

Not sure if you were being serious about POS 70, but yeah it actually is kind of a POS and I'm not gonna put ANY $ into the acutal diff. I bought chromo outers, ujoints, and drive slugs, but that's it. If I do break the 70 I'll cut the tube off and put them on a 14b center.

I want the 13 bolt cover because it give a lil more sealing surface across that bottom lip, and I'm pretty sure a stock cover would peel back if you cut it down that thin.

bluzuk80 said:
I have had a couple undercover fab 13 bolt covers. Just put one on new rig. Like them alot

Cool, I just ordered one. 10% off "pirate4x4.com" discount code got it to my door for $104.

Call me crazy, but I kinda like the fact that it is 1/4" over 3/8" plate...

Re: 4WS Trail-Buggy Build

I didn't mind the 1/4 neither. Last one didn't dent. I went with the BTF 3/8 thick up front, I'm sure the front diff takes heavier hits. Only have one gear in reverse :driving:

Yeah i was serious.....can you machine the 70 side gears to fit in a 14 bolt carrier?

Neal3000 said:
Yeah i was serious.....can you machine the 70 side gears to fit in a 14 bolt carrier?

I'm sure I could, but the 70 is welded so I couldn't get them out anyway.

All 4 of my inner shafts are just resplined stock long side inners, if I ever do build a 14b rear I'll get some chromo inners cut for it.

bluzuk80 said:
I have had a couple undercover fab 13 bolt covers. Just put one on new rig. Like them alot
Had these on my last rig. There cheap and nice! and fast shipping also

Did you use Superduty long side cut and resplined? I was planning to do the same for a 609 and getting Hudlow axle to do the cut/spline. Considering having the short side cut and used as 35 spline stubs used in a BJ 50 unitbearing.

Sidenote. On the S.D. stubs is the puck or sealing surface for the pain in the ass seal removeable. My plan was to bore the center to fit a 35 spline shaft and reuse them. Pinching pennies my build.

RustyC said:
Did you use Superduty long side cut and resplined? I was planning to do the same for a 609 and getting Hudlow axle to do the cut/spline. Considering having the short side cut and used as 35 spline stubs used in a BJ 50 unitbearing.

Sidenote. On the S.D. stubs is the puck or sealing surface for the pain in the ass seal removeable. My plan was to bore the center to fit a 35 spline shaft and reuse them. Pinching pennies my build.

Yes they are SD long side shafts.

The sealing surface is not removable on the factory 30 spline stub shafts. You dont really need the sealing surface if you are going to run drive slugs, because the shaft always turns with the inside of the unit hub.

The unit bearing is sealed itself, so unless you are running locking hubs and are going to bore the unit bearing spindle for an axle bearing (not recommended) then you don't have to have a rotating seal between the stub and knuckle.

I'm just going to put a little rtv around the sealing surface of the stub shaft when i assemble the axle.

I'll post pics after I do it, its kinda hard to explain unless you are familiar with how the SD knuckle/unit bearing/axle/hub interface is sealed from the factory.

Here is a pic of the stub shafts. Top is a 05+ SD stub, middle is 10 factory chromo. It is back cut and has a spacer pressed on to duplicate the factory sealing surface. I'm concerned that the back cut portion might be a failure point, I don't know if it has a smooth radius or an abrupt angle on the transition...
ma5uqape.jpg

Thankyou. I will be running drive flanges. I like the Idea of boring the unit bearing and deleting the spindle bearing. O-ring on the flange cap seals the outside and rtv seals the inside. Good news my life just got easier. :dblthumb:

Neal3000 said:
So what are you doing with the superduty D60 that you bought?

For right now, nothing. I bought it before I got the 14/70 combo, but didn't pick it up until a couple weeks ago.

I think the outers would make good for a rear steer setup with a 14b or 80 center section, 40 or 47 spline shafts, etc. :spin:
I don't have any brakes for it though.

It's really huge considering it is only a 60. Center section is massive, 4" axle tubes, foot tall knuckles, 72+" wide, etc

A Jana 76 kit with the $500 35 spline pinion Currie 5.38 HP70 gears would be pretty sweet if someone wanted a badass front axle.

I'd probably sell it if anyone was interested. This place http://www.rocksolidperformance.com/axle-builder-parts/?sort=featured&page=1 has high steer and drive flange kits for these 05+ SD outers.

You want it? :fish:

I am actually very intrigued by those axles, i would take it to He-man and get him to narrow it to about 65" and make it a pass. drop with a longer short side, i need to talk to him about it and see what his opinion is on all that......sorry to hijack your thread but yes i am interested....whats the ratio?

Neal3000 said:
I am actually very intrigued by those axles, i would take it to He-man and get him to narrow it to about 65" and make it a pass. drop with a longer short side, i need to talk to him about it and see what his opinion is on all that......sorry to hijack your thread but yes i am interested....whats the ratio?

Pm sent

Aw Man is this going to be like his TTB Bronco "build"? where he accumalates parts, starts threads, tears it all to pieces and then says fawk it and just builds a Toyota instead? :fish:

Neal3000 said:
Aw Man is this going to be like his TTB Bronco "build"? where he accumalates parts, starts threads, tears it all to pieces and then says fawk it and just builds a Toyota instead? :fish:

Bingo! Well we actually started on the bronco but thats another story. His garbage hauling tacoma is getting a makeover as we speak... :flipoff1:

I gotta be home a lil bit to actually work on it.

I've been in Texarkana all week.

Oh, and I have to put seats (or a seat) in the race truck so I can run Dirt Riot in 2 weeks... :spin:

I'll get on it eventually. ::)

I'm hoping to get the unit bearings machined out this weekend ::) and work on assembling the axles a bit. Maybe... :p

Neal3000 said:

Old habits die hard... Its a whole new experience learning about all this one ton stuff, and all the options of shafts, joints, driveshafts, doublers, etc...

Oh, and I picked up 2 sets of 12 bolt hummer wheels out in Avery, TX this week.

Latest posts