• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

4WS Trail-Buggy Build - Bent Fab EVO2

TBItoy

After 12 years of of Toyota mini truck building, I've sold off most of what I had and started in another direction. I've owned 5-6 sets of tons and rockwells, along with various engines, trans and tcases, but I've never actually started anything with them.

I'm starting on a Trail Buggy, not really a bouncer and not a comp crawler.

I like to be able to haul enough stuff into the woods to be self sufficient for 2 days for camping in Harlan, Blackhouse, and Wilder, so a "tail" for cooler and storage is a must. Also, I want to have enough fuel to ride 2-3 days and not run out.

Drivetrain:
351W (stock efi, cut down from 89 Bronco)
C6 (new rebuilt, full manual VB)
1356/NP205 doubler from DD Machine (short doubler, so I'll have to make the 205 shift out the rear) FOR SALE
Stak 3spd Monster Box
14 bolt front (Super Duty unitbearing outers, 4.56 gears, Grizzly Locker, chromo 35 spline stubs, etc)
14 bolt rear
D70 rear (Super Duty unitbearing outers, 4.56 gears, welded, chromo 35 spline stubs, etc)
39.5 TSL on stock H1 hummer wheels. (Hoping to keep the overall length and width to more "Toyota" size)
39" Reds on stock steel 17" Super Duty wheels

Got the old ECORS bronco build took apart and out of the way, since I decided that building basically a full tube buggy on a stock bronco frame to race a couple time a year was foolish.

Spent a while cleaning up the axles since I had to cut all the old link brackets and stuff off them.

2013-01-06_20-15-28_796.jpg

2013-01-06_20-14-01_258.jpg

Got em tore down and ready to bore the UB for 35 spline stubs. I'll be using 10 Factory stubs, Yukon Super Joints, and the inners that came with the axles (cut re-splined Super Duty long side shafts). Lots of broke parts, I bought the axles and 205 from Lickliter21 on here, he couldn't keep 30 spline stubs in it, so I'm upgrading from the start.

2013-01-06_20-14-43_298.jpg

2013-01-06_20-14-28_801.jpg

1.5" spacers that convert the 8x170 SD pattern to 8x6.5", should give just enough clearance to run some stock H1 wheels.

Also got a 1356/205 double case setup on the way from DD Machine, the whole setup will only be 8" longer than a stock 205, and give me a 4 speed tcase. I need the extra reduction too, with a stock 250hp motor and 4.10 axle gears.

2013-01-06_20-14-56_875.jpg

Re: 4WS Trail-Buggy Build

I'll be using 2x3 rect tube for the "frame rails", a front mount radiator, stock 33 gallon Bronco gas tank (may switch to a 19 gal truck tank), ATV size diamond tread tool box, and built in cooler mounts.

The plan is for it to look something like this when I'm done:

715545d1357081653-b-f-build-v2-0-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357081648.350079.jpg

new6.jpg

935902d5.jpg

Basically I want a buggy laid out like my old 4runner buggy, but with more power, less breakage, and 4ws.

HellsRevenge.jpg

wizzo said:
good deal, lets see some chassis pics!

ah hell, I'm picking up the steel this week, I should have a start of frame this weekend.

I've got to get the doubler plate from DD Machine in before I can complete the drivetrain subframe.

I'm also considering a Jana 87 kit for the rear since I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around having a "weaker" axle in the rear. I tore into the 70 and the carrier is pretty much trashed

TBItoy said:
I'm also considering a Jana 87 kit for the rear since I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around having a "weaker" axle in the rear. I tore into the 70 and the carrier is pretty much trashed

would it be better to cut your c's off the 70 and put on a 14 ?

wizzo said:

This!

I dig the style of those goatbuilt chassis, simple and no wasted tube

I can tell your a lifelong yota guy lol......your gonna need a 40 gallon tank for 3 days of trailriding with a v8

Drivetrain:
1356/NP205 doubler from DD Machine (short doubler, so I'll have to make the 205 shift out the rear)[/font]
14 bolt front (Super Duty unitbearing outers, 35 spline stubs, etc)
D70 rear (Super Duty unitbearing outers, 35 spline stubs, etc)
39.5 TSL on stock H1 hummer wheels. (Hoping to keep the overall length and width to more "Toyota" size)

Also got a 1356/205 double case setup on the way from DD Machine, the whole setup will only be 8" longer than a stock 205, and give me a 4 speed tcase. I need the extra reduction too, with a stock 250hp motor and 4.10 axle gears.

2013-01-06_20-14-56_875.jpg

[/quote]

Nice build, will definitly keep watchin for updates, Im not familiar with the 1365 doubler? is this a planitary portion of another case? does it take much to do this with a 205? I want to run a powerglide in front a 205, but would like some gears, are they strong? thanks

Re: Re: Re: 4WS Trail-Buggy Build

wizzo said:

I thought about it, but I've already got the inner shafts for this axle.

I talked to Carl Jantz about it last night, it's a pretty involved process to get the 80 gears in a 70. He is still working on exactly which components are going into the 87 kit.

But hell I'll most likely never have problems from the 70, it's more of a mental thing for me.

wizzo said:
he didn't post any goat built chasis?

i guess your right, the pics he posted look kinda similar though to me, except for the rec. tube frame

Neal3000 said:
This!

I dig the style of those goatbuilt chassis, simple and no wasted tube

I can tell your a lifelong yota guy lol......your gonna need a 40 gallon tank for 3 days of trailriding with a v8

The first 2 I posted are owner built-in-a-garage chassis, 3rd is a Jesse Haines.

I thought about building a goat built Ibex, but there is enough things i didn't like about it to make me change my mind.

And it's only 33 gallons! Lol

In my old Yota truggy with a 305, I'd have to add fuel to ride all weekend at tellico. And i can run my 22re 4runner buggy out of fuel in Harlan pretty easily if i ride as much as I want too.

blue_toy said:
Drivetrain:
1356/NP205 doubler from DD Machine (short doubler, so I'll have to make the 205 shift out the rear)[/font]
14 bolt front (Super Duty unitbearing outers, 35 spline stubs, etc)
D70 rear (Super Duty unitbearing outers, 35 spline stubs, etc)

Nice build, will definitly keep watchin for updates, Im not familiar with the 1365 doubler? is this a planitary portion of another case? does it take much to do this with a 205? I want to run a powerglide in front a 205, but would like some gears, are they strong? thanks

Borg Warner 1356, it's the case Ford used in the 80s and 90s behind the 351/460/7.3

Yes it's a planet setup, i don't know that it would be very easy to put on a glide, since it's a 31 spline Ford case. You'd probably have better luck with a 32 spline np241 I'd imagine

ridered3 said:
Looking forward to the build! Where was that picture taken of the 4runner buggy?

Hells Revenge Choccolocco. The picture is mirrored so it looks backwards