• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

4WS Trail-Buggy Build - Bent Fab EVO2

Re: 4WS Trail-Buggy Build

toy, next time your in texarkana holler! what brings you this way??

xjpaddler said:
toy, next time your in texarkana holler! what brings you this way??

Ah **** man, I think I just made my last trip to Texarkana this past week.

I work for an oil company (JAX) that is a supplier for Tyson Foods. I was the sales rep for the plants in Texarkana, Grannis, Hope, Nashville, AR; and Broken Bow, OK.
Took the new guy around to all the plants this week, so I'll be stickin to TN and KY now (hopefully).

I did get my unit bearings bored out today, so I might get to make some progress on getting the axles assembled... ;D

Re: Re: 4WS Trail-Buggy Build

A tiny bit of progress this week, cut down the mags, made new o rings...

Lil tars

e9ujy9eq.jpg

Oh, and i got some coilovers. 14" Profenders. They'll be going on the back, I'll run the 12" travel 2.5" air shocks on the front.

se9u4une.jpg

Don't you think you would have better luck with controlling body roll with the coil overs on the front, and tge air shocks on the rear?

Elliott said:
Don't you think you would have better luck with controlling body roll with the coil overs on the front, and tge air shocks on the rear?

I don't really expect to have much body roll issue using a 2.5" air shock. All the rigs I've seen w/ 2.5" air shocks don't really have that issue like the 2.0 shock.

My thoughts on coilovers in the rear is when I'm going to be loaded down for a 2 day camping trip in Blackhouse, Wilder, or Harlan I can spin the preload adjusters on the shocks down a couple inches to get some up travel back. And I hoped that the coilovers wouldn't be as affected by the weight change as the air shocks.

Probably won't ever do it, but the thought is there.

The 12" travel air shock body is the same length as the 14" coilover body, so If i decide to go to a set of 14" coilovers in the front, it'll be a direct bolt in (and I'll have 2" more down travel at the same ride height) :dblthumb:

I made some minor progress, mostly been working on the race truck, adding a roof, new seats, quick disco steering wheel, etc.

I did use my spare knuckle to mock up the brakes/spacers/wheels and check clearance. It fits TIGHT with the 1.5" adapter spacer. Had to grind a touch off the steering arm, but the brakes clear fine.

Also got some solid lug nuts on ebay for cheap (not the cheesy chrome capped ones). I'm gonna run 12 lug nuts on top of the factory flange nuts to protect the threads. I'll most likely add a rock ring also. I just wanted to mock up a whole setup to see it.

7ybe2e3a.jpg

unuhupep.jpg

Hub stick out will not be a problem, since the unit bearing hub is so short, and a rock ring will keep the rocks off the lug nuts.

I got in my doubler from DD machine, it looks nice, new chromo shaft, etc but it took me 8 weeks to get it (after he told me he had them on the shelf and it would ship the day after I placed the order....) Not a huge deal for me as it wasn't really holding me up, but worth noting.

I actually got the super short1356-1356 doubler rather than the "normal"1356-205 doubler. It required some mods to the 205 to bolt up, but it's only 3.5" longer than a stock fixed yoke 1356 (or 8" longer than the stock 205, since more people probably have an idea of the size of a 205...]

(all hardware not pictured)
ydu8abeg.jpg

Had to cut the rear rail flush with the case, front rail almost flush, and grind down the big nut on the center shaft. So I'm locked in 4wd Low unless I decide to make new shift rails, mod the case, and run them out the back... Not too worried about that.

ypysyde5.jpg

e2ahapy4.jpg

dymyre2e.jpg

gy7a9uge.jpg

TBItoy said:
So I'm locked in 4wd Low
Hmmm... I wouldn't think the difference in length would be worth all-time 4WD low. What are your thoughts on this? No desire for 2WD? Front digs? Just curious.

jordan7118 said:
Hmmm... I wouldn't think the difference in length would be worth all-time 4WD low. What are your thoughts on this? No desire for 2WD? Front digs? Just curious.

Or rotate the the 1356 to the pass side. Im glad you posted the ship time. Sometimes his stuff ships fast others it comes in a day from filing a refund.

Re: Re: Re: Re: 4WS Trail-Buggy Build

jordan7118 said:

With 4.10 gears in the axles, I'll still have a 70mph top speed and a 40 mph comfortable cruising speed (3000-3500rpm)

I've always had Toyotas so never used front digs, and don't figure they'll be real useful anyway.

I never took my Toyota out of 4lo and it had drive flanges also.

Oh, and 2 less shifters to package into the interior!

I think it'll work out fine, and if not, I'll make the 205 shift out the rear. Doesn't look too hard.

Re: Re: Re: Re: 4WS Trail-Buggy Build

ranger11 said:
Or rotate the the 1356 to the pass side. Im glad you posted the ship time. Sometimes his stuff ships fast others it comes in a day from filing a refund.

Can't rotate the 1356 without another clocking ring, and then you would only gain clearance for the front shift rail

Got my tcases cut and mocked up. Drivetrain is long as hell.

hu9edure.jpg

ysyqugyp.jpg

Should be able to snake the exhaust though here, basically a tighter version of the factory y pipe.
qadadybu.jpg

Blase said:
ridered3 said:
Glad to see some progress! Going to debut it at the wedding?

Ha, I wish. Maybe if I enslave a population of midget fabricators to work on it all week while I'm gone.

I've been busy prepping the race truck for the 1st ECORS race on March 23 in Dayton.

Had to add roof panels, side panels, new seat and belt mounts, new horn, fluid catch cans, and completely de-smog/de-emissions the engine to clean up the underhood. :dblthumb:

TBItoy said:
Ha, I wish. Maybe if I enslave a population of midget fabricators to work on it all week while I'm gone.

I've been busy prepping the race truck for the 1st ECORS race on March 23 in Dayton.

Had to add roof panels, side panels, new seat and belt mounts, new horn, fluid catch cans, and completely de-smog/de-emissions the engine to clean up the underhood. :dblthumb:

Just call up Jon-Jon and RobbyBobby and then you'll be all done in no time.