4WS Trail-Buggy Build - Bent Fab EVO2

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 4WS Trail-Buggy Build

wizzo said:
2 seater? extended cab? 4 seater? pretty slick chassis

2 seater with a standard front.

Exactly like this but with the front pictured below

ejavy7ug.jpg

e5a6y8a4.jpg

The subframe/skid combo is what really sold me on it. Way nicer that what I would have built
qaje9yru.jpg

Re: Re: Re: 4WS Trail-Buggy Build

Bones said:
Is it going to look like a jeep or cruiser up front?

I like that chassis' lines a lot.

Neither.

I'm getting the square front. I got an early Bronco grille and hood lined up if I want it, but I'm most likely not going to run any skins/grille/hood at all.

Re: Re: 4WS Trail-Buggy Build

Got a lil machine work done today. Inner axles cut for full circle snap rings, Yukon Superjoints installed.

u3ugete5.jpg

Also made some bushings for the unit bearing spindle. Did it a bit different than most here. Usually you would turn out the spindle and use an off the shelf needle bearing or bushing from a old Dana 60. I'm just taking up the 1/16" space with a piece of DOM turned down. The axle will never spin inside the spindle with the drive slugs, so it should work fine.

Pic shows one not installed, and one installed
uputunas.jpg

Re: 4WS Trail-Buggy Build

Hey nick quick question. Why use the square sub frame instead of round tube? Strength?
Reason I ask is my 4ws single seater has square frame rails. It performs great but would really like another seat so I've been contemplating turning it into a 2 seater either with a new chassis or cutting my upper cage off and building off of my square frame since everything would already be mounted. Only mounts that would have to be changed would be coil overs, break/gas pedals, steering column, seats, and propane tanks. I've have mixed reviews when talking to people on square frame vs. round mainly due to weight and looks I suppose. Can't wait to see yours done

Re: 4WS Trail-Buggy Build

zayne2427 said:
Hey nick quick question. Why use the square sub frame instead of round tube? Strength?
Reason I ask is my 4ws single seater has square frame rails. It performs great but would really like another seat so I've been contemplating turning it into a 2 seater either with a new chassis or cutting my upper cage off and building off of my square frame since everything would already be mounted. Only mounts that would have to be changed would be coil overs, break/gas pedals, steering column, seats, and propane tanks. I've have mixed reviews when talking to people on square frame vs. round mainly due to weight and looks I suppose. Can't wait to see yours done

Well when I was planning to build the frame myself, I was going to use rectangle tube just because it is easier to mount stuff off of, and is a lot less work and lighter than building a "Ladder style" frame like most people are going to now.

I'm also doing a truck style buggy with a full length bed, large fuel cell, tool box/cooler mounts, etc. I don't need or want lots of crazy tube work and pointy **** everywhere (at least on this buggy :spin: )

The Bent Fab chassis that I am buying uses 2x3" .120 wall frame rails, and the subframe/lower link mounts are formed 3/16" plate.

I like that single seater you have, thought about buying it at one time, the "stacked" framerails are a little odd, but there were several buggys built like that around the same time.
Seems like it would be pretty easy to build a new wider passenger compartment and re-mount the driver controls over to one side without having to completely re-work the whole buggy.
Although a new chassis would give you the opportunity to change anything you don't like about the buggy. :popcorn:

Glad to see some progress on the chassis! Can't wait to check it out in person sometime soon once you shipment of midget fabricators comes in.

Cruiser buggy said:
Welcome to hardline jay. Im gabe, the big guy that came up with nick to ride with you guys.
I remember you, was a good weekend ride. My little girl still calls you the hammock people. I am hoping to get down that way soon to catch up with you guys and wheel some of Tn.

Re: Re: 4WS Trail-Buggy Build - Bent Fab EVO2

May 10. That's when I get the chassis.

I really need the guts from a cucv 14 bolt (4.56 gears/carrier/bearings) for my front axle.

I picked up a cherry low mileage 4.56 geared Dana 70 to "rebuild" the junked carrier and bearings that were in my original rear axle.

If anyone is interested, I'm building up "The Gremlin" in the mean time(my old race truck combined with other Toyota parts I had). I wanted something to ride in while I'm building the buggy.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/1251746-gremlin-build-small-linked-ugly-beater-truck.html