• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

7.3 up pipe replacement

hlb3

Zombie Hunter
I am going to pull my turbo on my 2000 550 this winter to replace the housing to get rid of my turbo surge and do the EBPV delete. Since I'm going to have everything pulled off, I figure I might as well take care of some other stuff while I am at it (going to replace my glow plugs and valve cover harnesses). Should I go ahead and replace the up pipes now? I've heard of people having issues, but I'm not sure how common it actually is. The stock ones are not leaking and the truck only has 86k on it, so it probably isn't necessary, just wanted some opinions.

Well it looks like the drivers side is leaking. I couldn't see any soot anywhere while laying below, but I stuck my hand up by the donuts when the truck was running. I didn't feel anything while it was idling, but when the exhaust brake did its start up test cycle and there was a definite leak coming from the top side of the donut. So it looks like I will be changing them out.

If there is a leak you will see black soot....
It seems to be leaking on the back side of the pipe where I can't see. I don't think it is very bad yet, which is why I hadn't noticed it. The only time I could feel it is when the exhaust brake was engaging.

I did the Dorman bellowed pipes, and they were very nice. I even used their hardware.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Good to hear, that is the way I was thinking of going. How long have you been running them?

I need to go through my turbo, and I DEFINITELY have leaky up pipes...
i can see soot...And ALOT of it! :redneck::eeek: