• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

'98 Chev Z71 4x 1500

TTF Fabrication

Anyone out there towing with an 88-98 chev 1/2 ton Z71 or regular 3/4 ton with a 5.7 gasser? Just wondering how you like it, I know it's not a diesel but I'd like to hear how they tow a rig with a trailer. i am looking at purchasing my dad's with 47K original miles and won't be towing much. and any mods that have helped it or you would reccomend to improve towing power, (headers, lower gears, etc.) any input is helpful, thank you.

my dad had a 93 z71 (dont make a 3/4 ton z71) with the 5.7 and we towed our boat with it and it was as heavy as any toyota and it pulled it fine. we towed that thing everywhere to montana it had 200,000 miles on it before it started to get a little lifter tick but it still ran good sold it for 4000 it did a good job pullin though

all i would do to that truck is a nice set of headers high flow cats and some flowys and a k&n

TTF Fabrication said:
Anyone out there towing with an 88-98 chev 1/2 ton Z71 or regular 3/4 ton with a 5.7 gasser? Just wondering how you like it, I know it's not a diesel but I'd like to hear how they tow a rig with a trailer. i am looking at purchasing my dad's with 47K original miles and won't be towing much. and any mods that have helped it or you would reccomend to improve towing power, (headers, lower gears, etc.) any input is helpful, thank you.

I had a 99 gmc (still the old body style) z71 with the vortec 5.7 and 9 inches of lift and 35s and it pulled like a champ. I towed dan sami up to the funny/moon rocks twice with it and the deisels never pulled away from me. Robin was behind us in his chevy with the 454 and he was way behind us.I had super chip programer in it and that makes a big difference. Also put the k&n cold air system on it and 3 inch exaust with a home made muffler.

I have heard an exhaust does wonders for those things while towing. Even more-so then one of the programmers. I think it'd be fine as a light tow rig. Just don't expect to lift it and do well.

Lucky Jeff said:
I have heard an exhaust does wonders for those things while towing. Even more-so then one of the programmers. I think it'd be fine as a light tow rig. Just don't expect to lift it and do well.

My truck was lifted and did fine. I towed a 10000lb forklift with it and it wasnt that bad of a tow.I had 35 bfg mt on it .

yeah its got a drop in k&n, flowmaster 1-2 2.5" american thunder system. we're about to get the superchip programmer for it, and im going to pick up a set of headers (what do you reccomend in that dept.?) my debate was lifting it or not. i either want to run 31" mt/rs stock or 35" mt/rs w/ a 6" fabtech. i didnt know how much it would affect it. and was that one on 35's regeared to 4.10 or stock 3.73's?

If you go with a 6 inch lift i would only go with a fab tech. I went with a les scrubs tuff country and had problems with it. Fab tech is a much better built lift.3.73 gears and never had any problems.It was really quick even with the 35.I could roast the tires off all the way into overdrive. If you get the programmer read the derections first. I did mine the first time and fried my whole computer system and it cost and bunch to get the truck to run again.

Last edited:
good to know, thanks for the info. i think i may just keep it stock with 31's, but im glad to hear that someone has actually had some pretty good experience towing with this rig. i didnt think it would handle a load as well as your saying it will.

There is a 98 12 valve quad cab 4x4 on craigslist right now for 8500. :D

And I just can't BELIEVE no one has taken phsycotoys yet.. wtf???

i guess not. i cant get anyone to drive over there with me. and my dad offered the truck for cheap, he is purchasing a new Duramax.

Last edited:
TTF Fabrication said:
i guess not. i cant get anyone to drive over there with me. and my dad offered the truck for cheap, he is purchasing a new Duramax.

millage master tow rig here...

where we going?

TTF Fabrication said:

My old tow rig was a 90's 3/4 ton 4x4 with a 6" pro comp with air bags, chipped, exhaust, K&N, blah, blah, my 12V will smoke with triple the weight, my 12V laughed at Satus pass with a 4,500 lb. toy and heavy ass 3/4 ton tandem axle trailor, 70+ all day long with the a/c blowing in my hair....:D

A couple of my friends have had 88-98 1500 Chevys. All and all they are a good truck. They will tow a rig just fine but they will eventually start to have tranny problems. The trannys aren't heavy duty enough stock. Power mods i would get the whole JBA setup(headers, high flow cats and exhaust) Sounds great preforms better, a superchip programer, volant intake, airaid throttle body spacer, and granatelli mass air flow sensor. And if you wanted to lift it either get Fab Tech or RCD both are great lifts.