• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Aetna Mtn.

SIgned the first one, but the one after that doesn't look so good.
Don't Let Washington Become a Gateway For Dirty Coal Exports!
Don't Let Washington Become a Gateway For Dirty Coal Exports!
signatures: 194

Target: Washington State's Natural Resources Commissioner Peter Goldmark
Sponsor: Sierra Club
You may have heard that Big Coal has plans to ship millions of tons of coal through the Pacific Northwest to Asia -- spewing toxic coal dust, putting our safety and health at risk, clogging up our railroad and ports, and stoking the climate crisis all the way.

As Washington State's Natural Resources Commissioner, Peter Goldmark has a huge role in the fight to stop Big Coal from exporting co...view full petition

Thanks for those who have taken the time, but from what I have read they need 50,000 signatures, and they have less than 4,000 right now.

Here is more info on the situation... It sounds similar to Reiter in the excuses these people are using to take it away from wheelers.
.The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency is under fire from off-roaders who are upset that the Agency might shut down a favorite 4-wheeling area on Aetna Mountain. An Agency statement said, "The Number One problem is environmental issues such as erosion, not only on our property, but also adjacent lands. Siltation into the river is also a major concern. We are also receiving pressure from TDEC to eliminate the above environmental issues."

Concerned about potential shutdown, the "We Rock Off Road Club" is conducting an organized campaign and petition drive in an effort to keep the Cummings Cove Wildlife Management Area open to recreational 4-wheelers and off-roaders.

Aetna Mountain lies between Chattanooga's Lookout Valley area to the East and Nickajack Lake in Marion County to the West. It's bounded on the North by the Tennessee River Gorge and on the South by Interstate 24. The entire mountaintop includes more than 9,000 acres. However Cummings Cove includes only 1,200 acres of that area.

There are two primary access roads to the mountaintop, one to the West near Haletown and one to the East near the Tennessee Highway Patrol and the Black Creek Subdivision. That access point, known as Aetna Mtn. Road, has been the subject of a long-running legal dispute over whether it is a public or private. In an Aug. 2010 court ruling however, a judge declared that Aetna Mtn. Road, "is recognized as a public road at least from Cummings Road in the City to the top of mountain and this Order shall not change that ruling. In addition, nothing contained herein shall be construed to provide or imply that Aetna Mountain Road is not a public road beyond 'the top of the mountain' as herein referenced."

The land on top of the mountain is owned by numerous individuals and entities, including the 1,200 acres owned by TWRA. There is still confusion about whether roads atop the mountain are public, or not. The Tennessee Hunting Guide says, "There is currently no public access for Cummings Cove. The only access at present is through private properties with the permission from the various landowners."

However 4-wheelers and off-roaders apparently have no problem accessing the area. For decades all 9,000 acres on the top of Aetna Mountain has been a playground of sorts for off-roaders. Now Dan Hicks, Information Officer for TWRA, says the Cummings Cove WMA seems to have become the heart of that playground.

In the wake of controversy stirred up on social media pages, a contingency of TWRA officials toured Cummings Cove WMA Tuesday.

Hicks said, "I'm not an expert in that area, but I would say there are environmental concerns. We saw lots of siltation washing off the side of the mountain."

Hicks said however, other than the erosion problems, it appears that off-roaders do an admirable job policing themselves.

"I was surprised to see that none of the signs marking our boundaries have been vandalized," said Hicks. "And I was especially surprised by how little litter there is. The area has obviously been kept clean."

Off-roaders meanwhile have been hammering at TWRA on social media pages.

Tyler Haggard writes, "I disagree on the closing of Aetna mtn. Not everyone that loves the outdoors likes to hunt and fish. There are A LOT of us that love to just offroad and that's it, me being one of them."

Robby Pate writes, "I also disagree with the closing of Aetna Mountain to 4-wheeling, I'm sure you will be hearing from more individuals and families on this issue."

Most posts indicate that TWRA wants to shut off access to the entire mountain. Hicks makes it clear that they cannot do that.

"We only have control of the Cummings Cove WMA," he said.

Hicks said strict enforcement is an option, but admits ongoing enforcement would be difficult due to manpower issues and the amazing network of roads that criss-cross the mountain like a spider web.

Hicks said, "I can't say right now that we're going to enforce anything more or less than what we enforce on any other TWRA wildlife management area. But again, our managers will be discussing the situation and we hope to have more information out by the end of the week."

SIgned the first one, but the one after that doesn't look so good.

They started that back in 2008. With todays hazmat standards, I don't see any problem bringing coal through our state to sell to other folks. It creates/keeps jobs in the area and it isn't a big deal. Just shipping coal by rail car though our state. No big deal.