• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Aftermarket Harness or Stock?

mike d

Hello, just had some questions about which route i should go on 97 4.3 vortec swap. I currently have all of the gm chassis and engine wiring harness, and everything else that was stripped from the Jimmy.

I really dont have any experience or background with Electrical stuff. After looking at diagrams of the jimmy and 4runner electrical i have a pretty good idea off how the stuff works, its just intergrated some of the toyota stuff with the gmc. Really all the components on the GMC plug in and i dont have to deal with them. But some of the other stuff that needs to get intergrated is where I think im going to run into problems. I know really there are only six main key things that i need to intergrate to the toyota

12 volts from battery to computer input
12 volts from ignition to computer
Vehicle spees sensor
Ground output
Electric Fuel pump, output
Check engine light, output

I have already traced alot of these wires down and labled them. I guess were im stumped is lots of people are telling me I will save alot of heart ach by just going out and getting a harness from painless all labled and cleaned up, Rather then using my exsiting one. I guess i just feel guilty going out and getting a aftermarket harness for 500+ Bucks when ive got pretty much the same harness with the engine write now but with all the extra crap wires that i dont need, which from what it looks like alot of them. But on the other hand it seems full proof to go with the new one from painless, hell it looks pretty easy when it looks like this:
60212.jpg

But i know mine looks the flippen same when stripped down just 500 bucks cheaper. Please any input would help, should I cave and just pay the bucks to be sure its correct, or chance frying some key components and having to pay more down the road or better yet broken down the road. I would be willing to pay someone the bucks to strip my harness apart and show me whats what. Sorry for the long drawn out story. Im sure lots of you understand my frustration.

Same damn thing when it comes down to it. Only advantage is the painless harness has it's own fuse block, which is also a disavantage cause now you have to find a place to mount it.

normal_IMG_4374.JPG

Can't you just get a FSM wiring diagram and label your own wires? Cut off whatever you don't need. Then you don't have to cut-n-splice any connectors either. If the factory harness isn't damaged, I'd take that over the Painful setup any day. I really don't know anybody that has been happy with the value/cost of any Painless harness.

64FJ40 said:
Can't you just get a FSM wiring diagram and label your own wires? Cut off whatever you don't need. Then you don't have to cut-n-splice any connectors either. If the factory harness isn't damaged, I'd take that over the Painful setup any day. I really don't know anybody that has been happy with the value/cost of any Painless harness.

Yes I think this is the route im going just wanted to make sure it was the correct route.