• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Aftermarket Toy Ignition

JNK-RNR

Sooo yeah.....planned on going to Evans today...I am pretty sure my ignitor crapped out. A new one goes anywhere from $350 - $450. What are my options as far as dummping the standard ignitor and wiring up something beefyer. I know MSD makes an Off Road ignition system, and so does Jacobs electronics. Soo hit me the who, why, and how hard to install.

93 4Runner
Auto 22R-E

Last edited:
zig80toy said:
Also, does anyone out there with an MDS ignition box still have their stock tach working?? how?

YUP......
WHEN i HAD A 22R

WHEN I had a 22re
and with the 4.3 :D

the toy modules are pretty reliable, easiest route is from the junkyard. other than that, there's all the aftermarket ones, i wouldn't shell out $300 on a factory box when you could have MSD...

snwbrdpunk16 said:
Chris, with all the money you have been sinkin into your 22re thing mah bobbber lately, u coulda done like 2 4.3L swaps :flipoff:

Guess what..I have a dirty little secret:kissmyass: ..I have a 4.3 out of an 89:flipoff:

crash said:
YUP......
WHEN i HAD A 22R

WHEN I had a 22re
and with the 4.3 :D

Can you expand on this please? How do i get the stock tach to work again?? where does it plug in?? just on the neg end of the coil??

If you do a lil research you will find you need a tach adapter. I can't remember but I thing 8910 or 8920 comes to mind for some reason...

the MSD instructions said you need a tach adaptor but i thought folks were getting these to work without it...
oops

zig80toy said:
the MSD instructions said you need a tach adaptor but i thought folks were getting these to work without it...
oops

I had to use one on my 82 and then another one on top of that when I went a 22re..