• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ARB air locker

mcbadwish

I just bought a truck with a arb in the front and cant find operating instructions anywhere. Im mostly wondering when its ok to engage it im geussing when your not moving?

I just bought a truck with a arb in the front and cant find operating instructions anywhere. Im mostly wondering when its ok to engage it im geussing when your not moving?

Not moving is the best. Its called crash locking and that will kill one pretty quick.

I'm told you can engage even when under throttle (by the folks at ARB), and have seen it done in the real world with no ill effects.... however I would say if you think you're gonna need it for added traction, go ahead and engage it before throttling on!(erroring on the side of caution to try and avoid a catastrophic failure of either the locker or someother component in the front end....:awesomework:)

I'm told you can engage even when under throttle (by the folks at ARB), and have seen it done in the real world with no ill effects.... however I would say if you think you're gonna need it for added traction, go ahead and engage it before throttling on!(erroring on the side of caution to try and avoid a catastrophic failure of either the locker or someother component in the front end....:awesomework:)

look up crash locking on pirate. if you want to lower the life expectancy of your ARB go ahead and lock it under throttle.

I crash locked my toyota for well over a dozen years, Never had a issue. I crash locked my buggy(D60) for a total of 8 months before a issue with the rear arb. I now always slow down or engage it before moving. I dont ***** foot the buggy like i did the toyota.

Is that crushed Toyoda in you avatar Mark? Maybe I need to upgrade to bifolkle glasses :rolleyes:

I was at naches had a Dana 30 front at the time, 3 wheels spinning sliding back-wards, flipped the switch and instantly had a couple hundred pieces of individual cromo axle shafts all over in the housing... that was a fun trip :looser:

I was at naches had a Dana 30 front at the time, 3 wheels spinning sliding back-wards, flipped the switch and instantly had a couple hundred pieces of individual cromo axle shafts all over in the housing... that was a fun trip :looser:

problem was,you had a dana 30 or the arb?

You can engage a ARB airlocker up to 60 mph as long as your going straight, and you let off the gas. The internal gears of a differential are only spinning when your turning, allowing one tire to travel at a different speed.
However, I only engage at low speeds with no throttle. I have no x-ray vision to tell me if the internals are spinning or not, most of my tires are different sizes from not rotating them enough, this would cause the internals to be spinning when moving down the road or trail.