• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Atlas front high range?

briejer

I am tearing into my atlas II to switch fom 4.3:1 gears to 3.8:1. While I have it apart I was thinking about doing the front high range mod

what do you all think?

Sure why not? I was a bit cornfuzzled when buddy broke the rear yoke on his rig so he jsut ratchet strapped the driveline to the frame and tried to drive home on the front end.... Worked great till he got to the road and tried to go put it into high range.. :haha:

I ended up pulling the drveline so he could have high range.. I wonder why they don't have it from the factory? Too much load on the trans output shaft?

I am tearing into my atlas II to switch fom 4.3:1 gears to 3.8:1. While I have it apart I was thinking about doing the front high range mod

what do you all think?

I would like to do it to, but I dont want to tear out my atlas again. the only down fall is the possibillty of putting the front in high and the rear in low and blowing it up.

IMO-----I would say no...

Robin--you need some kind of safetynet---and keeping you doing front diffs in low range sounds like a smart deal to me...

my $.02....

I was really surprized when I heard that you COULDN'T have front-hi....

I use front hi quite a bit....especially in the mud...or in the snow....

I'd be pissed if I couldn't burn the fronts in high range...

--B

So I have trying to search on this

Anybody know if I am supposed to remove all 4 pills between the shift rails? I would assume thats what it takes to let the shift rails shift independant of each other

my atlas goes in front high with rear disengaged?

I forgot how easy those damn things are..

I figured it out--gotta remove the 2 pills inline with the switch.

Troy---somebody forgot those pills in yours--thats the only way your going to get high outa the front in dig...

So...

is the only way to do this w/ an Atlas to remove the interlock pills?

does that mean that 'theortically' you can get into mismatched ranges and bind up the box....cuz you've removed the interlocks?

Can you not grind the shift rails like on a 205....so you can still have whatever you want, but also still have interlocks so you don't get hi/low crossed up...

So...

is the only way to do this w/ an Atlas to remove the interlock pills?

does that mean that 'theortically' you can get into mismatched ranges and bind up the box....cuz you've removed the interlocks?

Can you not grind the shift rails like on a 205....so you can still have whatever you want, but also still have interlocks so you don't get hi/low crossed up...

Here is what I can tell ya berne--yes you can also grind the shift rails since the pills ride on indented spots on the rails.

Now---from what I can tell by just removing the 2 pills (4 pills toal and 2 stacked per hole) that are inline with the 4x4 switch--you can only dissen gage the rear for whatever gear the front is in--so in therory you cannot mix match low/high....

Here is what I can tell ya berne--yes you can also grind the shift rails since the pills ride on indented spots on the rails.

Now---from what I can tell by just removing the 2 pills (4 pills toal and 2 stacked per hole) that are inline with the 4x4 switch--you can only dissen gage the rear for whatever gear the front is in--so in therory you cannot mix match low/high....

cool...

cuz I've seen a.....dana 20 I think....that was rigged to front dig just by pulling the pills....and it pop'd once, and got itself bound up in hi/low somehow...

was a royal PITA to get it out....but didn't really hurt it.

Now if you had bought a STaK's t-case it comes from the factory this way. I have front HI or front LOW any time I want. And it has interlock safety so I can't FUBAR it up and put the front in HI and rear in LOW. Got inot a big discussion about htis over on Pirate last year. Got told more than once that I had no reason to want Front HI.

I WANT front high with rear low.When I called AA they told me I could achieve that by removing some pins(are there pins or did he mean balls)?

I really really REALLY want the front to be in high and the rear in low.

Crash, can you call AA or should I make the call?