• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

"Authentic Longfield" from TrailGear.

I heard TG birfs are STRONGER than the "old" BL version. Just what I heard.....

P.S. I broke BL birf once (or twice). U-JOINTS FTMFW:cheer:

Whine and complain when you break one. Congrats to Tina for making a smart business move just like Matt Messer.

4340 chromoly steel and then dual heat-treated for superior strength.
What the hell is vacuum arc remelted 4340 chromoly?

Just to clarify. It is a process used to purify metal. It is melted in a vaccum chamber with dc current. So basically what happens is all the gases that get trapped in materials as they cool open air get removed making the material more pure. The process also removes micro porosity. It is also the only way to cast flammable metals I.e. Titanium, mag...

I have no idea if it makes it stronger.

I'll be buying my next set from rcv.

Yes, it does make it stronger as all impurities and porosity are removed.
Just to clarify. It is a process used to purify metal. It is melted in a vaccum chamber with dc current. So basically what happens is all the gases that get trapped in materials as they cool open air get removed making the material more pure. The process also removes micro porosity. It is also the only way to cast flammable metals I.e. Titanium, mag...

I have no idea if it makes it stronger.

I'll be buying my next set from rcv.

I have no great love for Trail Gear but really why not wait until people get some time on the new ones & then pass judgement? Ah, I forgot idle speculation is so much more fun. :haha:

Yes, it does make it stronger as all impurities and porosity are removed.

Yeah I get that, I understand porosity and what it is.

When I say I don't know if it makes it any stronger I mean it in a measurable sense. I haven't looked up 4340, 4340 vac melt and 300m (4340m) to compare the numbers. And so we are all on the same page on this 300m (4340m) is also a vac melt material.

To keep the facts straight all impurities are not removed. gasses are removed solids are reduced. :flipoff:

Yeah I get that, I understand porosity and what it is.

When I say I don't know if it makes it any stronger I mean it in a measurable sense. I haven't looked up 4340, 4340 vac melt and 300m (4340m) to compare the numbers. And so we are all on the same page on this 300m (4340m) is also a vac melt material.

To keep the facts straight all impurities are not removed. gasses are removed solids are reduced. :flipoff:

Technical fawkers. :fawkdancesmiley:

Inner stars are hard to produce. They have machining of every angle possible. They are also splined INSIDE.

If TG was using RCV birfs and now has a magic DIFFERENT star, I doubt its because its BETTER but more than likely CHEAPER and FASTER to produce.

I had a spare Long. I cracked a bell on one a couple years ago. I replaced it. Then this year I broke an inner axle which took out the star on the opposite side. The shock load broke the star clean in half.

Out of fear of an inferior replacement, I robbed the star out of the birf with the cracked bell and put in the birf that just split the star.

So I will be sending in a birf with a cracked bell and a split star.

I will report back with what they send me as compared to what I sent them.

Inner stars are hard to produce. They have machining of every angle possible. They are also splined INSIDE.

If TG was using RCV birfs and now has a magic DIFFERENT star, I doubt its because its BETTER but more than likely CHEAPER and FASTER to produce.

I had a spare Long. I cracked a bell on one a couple years ago. I replaced it. Then this year I broke an inner axle which took out the star on the opposite side. The shock load broke the star clean in half.

Out of fear of an inferior replacement, I robbed the star out of the birf with the cracked bell and put in the birf that just split the star.

So I will be sending in a birf with a cracked bell and a split star.

I will report back with what they send me as compared to what I sent them.

Excellent.:awesomework: You have pics of said damage?

TG equals Wall Mart crap! I got their TC mounts but how do you **** up solid aluminium mounts. If I had toy axles I would go RCV and when I need front axle u joint parts for my Longfield joints helpfully I can get some good quality parts that are worth a damn!

TG equals Wall Mart crap! I got their TC mounts but how do you **** up solid aluminium mounts. If I had toy axles I would go RCV and when I need front axle u joint parts for my Longfield joints helpfully I can get some good quality parts that are worth a damn!

Yet 98% of the Toyotas here run some TG parts on their rigs and just like Walmart they either deny it or clown on others that run it. :haha:

I havent broke TG parts I break lockers and ring/pinions. I could care either I've run TG and MC have yet to break a case but I dont run 39" stickies or 42" tires. I have the sense to know I will break a tranny or case. Thats 1 ton territory without toyota drivetrain. Love my Longs and TG and MC duals hate my 5.29 gears. Call me an idiot because idk 4340 from 300m because I dont research for hours about stuff that doesn't effect me. Theres my $.02 rant over. Glad DHR understands. And btw Darren will u be at swap meet ill just get you your money for truck parts then and save the trip.

I have no great love for Trail Gear but really why not wait until people get some time on the new ones & then pass judgement? Ah, I forgot idle speculation is so much more fun. :haha:

Because trail mart **** sucks. Very little innovation, lots of copying you know this.

Yet 98% of the Toyotas here run some TG parts on their rigs and just like Walmart they either deny it or clown on others that run it. :haha:

I ordered some parts from datinfab and years ago and part of the order was drop shipped from TG. I gave the parts away. Every bit of my rig was Marlin or all pro simple as that no matt messer **** for my rigs.

I ordered some parts from datinfab and years ago and part of the order was drop shipped from TG. I gave the parts away. Every bit of my rig was Marlin or all pro simple as that no matt messer **** for my rigs.

Didn't Datin make a good portion of TG's parts when they 1st started. Before they turned into a design stealing Chinamart.

Datin built a lot of stuff for everyone but the knuckle gusset kit I ordered was in a trailmart box shipped direct from them. I counted it as a $30 mistake and gave it to my neighbor and built my own version.

You want to go way back in the day? When chris geiger worked for Marlin as the operations manager he very nearly shut Marlin down. He conned Marlin into joining forces with matt messer then as they were moving Marlin product into matt's warehouse geiger jumped ship and convinced matt to go it without Marlin since he already had most of Marlins designs. 6 shooters were designed by Marlin, I have a picture geiger posted on Marlins board of the steering arm mounted backwards over the ears for the caliper. The "creaper locks" design was decided on in a poll on the site too.

Last edited: