• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

axles

trxguy

if someone wanted to run fullsize axles under there rig but didn't have the money to jump up to Dana 60s what are some recomendations.....

right side (passenger) drop

4 banger engine dual cases 38 and up tires

this question doesn't just pertain to me ... i have had some buddies ask what i thought ..... so i thought i would gather more input.....

14 Bolt rear, find those cheap.

You can find cheap low pinion 60 fronts, they are out there. Other than a Dana44, maybe a 12 bolt front or whatever. Not my specialty though.

With 38's and above anything smaller than a D60 is on borrowed time.

That said your options are a D44 or a 10-bolt, or a "cheap" Dana 50 from a later model Ford or one of the new AAM axles. Price wise the D50's and AAM's are hit or miss, they are not super desirable, but people sometimes seem to think they are worth gold. D44 or a 10-bolt is cheap, they have a huge aftermarket, but by the time your done you've bought a 60.

Bolt in a D44 or 10-bolt, wheel it till it breaks and/or you find a deal on a 60.

if someone wanted to run fullsize axles under there rig but didn't have the money to jump up to Dana 60s what are some recomendations.....

right side (passenger) drop

4 banger engine dual cases 38 and up tires

this question doesn't just pertain to me ... i have had some buddies ask what i thought ..... so i thought i would gather more input.....

I wouldn't do it unless you only drive on flat level ground.

With 38's and above anything smaller than a D60 is on borrowed time.

That said your options are a D44 or a 10-bolt, or a "cheap" Dana 50 from a later model Ford or one of the new AAM axles. Price wise the D50's and AAM's are hit or miss, they are not super desirable, but people sometimes seem to think they are worth gold. D44 or a 10-bolt is cheap, they have a huge aftermarket, but by the time your done you've bought a 60.

Bolt in a D44 or 10-bolt, wheel it till it breaks and/or you find a deal on a 60.

ya my recomendation to my buddy was either strip out a cheap K5 blazer that would give him the option or having a 350 now or later then pull the dana 44 front and 12 bolt rear i know they come 12 or 10 bolt.... thought the 12 was stronger.....

Dual cases, large tires and half ton axles.

ok, i see what your saying...

when i did the mudbogs in north carolina i used to run my k5 blazer with 39 boggers and a mild built 350-th350-203 on the dana 44 front with the 12 bolt rear .. it held up pretty good for awhile then i swapped to 3/4 ton d44 and 14bolt............so this was why i thought 1/2 tons would be stronger then toyota axles especially with a 4 banger vs a 350

ok, i see what your saying...

when i did the mudbogs in north carolina i used to run my k5 blazer with 39 boggers and a mild built 350-th350-203 on the dana 44 front with the 12 bolt rear .. it held up pretty good for awhile then i swapped to 3/4 ton d44 and 14bolt............so this was why i thought 1/2 tons would be stronger then toyota axles especially with a 4 banger vs a 350

It's not the engine that's the issue it's the torque multiplication of the dual cases...Torque is what kills axles. You can think of torque as resistance as in it won't matter until you put a load on the axle- bind it. When you use larger tires it creates a potential leverage for the wheel to put resistance on the axle.
At the PNW races it's not uncommon to see 7 or 800 HP with D44 front and rear. They last a long time because there's not much torque.