• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Battery chargers

64FJ40

Apparenty my old charger didn't like being left out in the rain much, so I'm looking for a replacement.

Recommendations? Good deals?

I don't need anything big - just for occasional maintenance. The one I had was a 2/6/10 amp automatic and it was perfect for what I need, but I don't want to drop another $60 on something that isn't going to last. I'll probably just buy a cheap one unless I stumble on a good used one, but thought I'd gather opinions.

I own 3 of the Battery Tender + chargers. All have worked without a hitch. They also offer the waterproof 800. The BT's can be left on a battery indefinatly with no ill affects.

Yeah, but they're like the same price as a whole new battery... And apparently, if I totally killed the battery in question, Napa is going to just give me a new one. I'll find out tomorrow after they get done charging it for free :redneck:

You got a harbor freight in your area? Or try JCWhitney!

I've always tried to keep my charger under the hood, or under the vehicle when I need to charge a battery in ill weather. Or under a bucket works good, if its small enough.

I dont recall ever having a bad charger.

Get a name brand (napa, sears, ect), simple, without too many gimmicks.

Normal cheap chargers hold too high a voltage and will boil off a battery's electrolyte in no time. If you use one with a flooded cell battery you need to watch the levels and keep it topped off. Sealed and AGM (like optima) batteries will be permanently damaged.

I dont recall ever having a bad charger.

TigTorch this was obviously "operator error"

he was probly on the web spell checking someones grammar when a down-pour struck his nerdy ass.:haha: :haha: :haha:

TigTorch this was obviously "operator error"

he was probly on the web spell checking someones grammar when a down-pour struck his nerdy ass.:haha: :haha: :haha:

So I've managed a promotion from "low brain activity" to "nerdy" now? :rolleyes: Did you have anything resembling relevant input or did you just decide to expand your trolling domain outside the chatterbox?

I never said I had a bad one. I said it didn't appreciate being left out in the rain (since it apparently lacks a drain hole). It was on my truck for a few months in float. At some point, an internal short not only killed the charger, but drained the battery that it was hooked up to as well. I suppose that could be chalked up to operator error if that helps you maintain your superiority complex. I think I might replace the output transistors if I can find suitable replacements since the rest of the circuit board components tested good.

Everyone else, thanks for the input. :awesomework:

I got a couple, one real old sears craftsman, and the other I picked up a couple years ago is a Schumacher 2/10/50 amp, it works, its survived weeks in the rain, all in all:awesomework: cheap too.

250 gives you about 1 min of jump start before charger shuts itself off... wasnt intended to charge at that power level

So I've managed a promotion from "low brain activity" to "nerdy" now? :rolleyes: Did you have anything resembling relevant input or did you just decide to expand your trolling domain outside the chatterbox?

I never said I had a bad one. I said it didn't appreciate being left out in the rain (since it apparently lacks a drain hole). It was on my truck for a few months in float. At some point, an internal short not only killed the charger, but drained the battery that it was hooked up to as well. I suppose that could be chalked up to operator error if that helps you maintain your superiority complex. I think I might replace the output transistors if I can find suitable replacements since the rest of the circuit board components tested good.

Everyone else, thanks for the input. :awesomework:

Big E-Thug:redneck:

Big E-Thug:redneck:

I think I was grumpy that day :haha:

Update - one of the transistors tested bad. New output transistor and the charger is good as new and working fine. Napa gave me a new battery since the old one was fried. They didn't even care that it might have been my fault.

Got the battery home, fired up the Chevy, and the metallic noise that I parked it for was still there. So I pulled the clutch inspection cover, but it was fine. Then I noticed that the front dust shield (right under the rear main) was bent just a little bit so that the flange on the crank that the flywheel bolts to was hitting it with every revolution. Bent it out a little bit and she lives. :cool: The gear drive is still stinkin' loud, but in a good way. I'm gonna go clean up a few things and maybe go roast some tires later. :redneck:

Latest posts