• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Best place 2 buy crate motor???

angelfly

Ok so where would u guys go 2 get a long block for your DD???

I got a 98ranger with the 3.0 in it and it just threw a rod maybe 2 last night, it has over 170,000 miles on it so it was due. Im getting new heads with the block just 2 save the hassle. . . .

I made some calls and it seems they range from $1600(carquest) up to around $2500 to get it from jaspers. . . .

PLease any info or advice is much appreciated!!!!

Also I will not rebuild this motor or find one on craigslist, I am looking for a brand new never ran motor!!! So dont tell me 2 take it 2 (fillintheblank) shop and have them rebuild it. . . not going down that road again and I need 2 be able to do the swap in a total of 3 days. . . Fri-Sun

thanx guys:beer:

In my opinion the carquest/ jaspers/ small shop rebuilds generally are low quality and fail after low miles. I would look at a low mile junkyard motor, they are cheaper, last longer, and large professional junkyards offer 1 year or longer warranties. Remember, even a "New" (really rebuilt with the cheapest parts possible) motor isnt always better. www.car-part.com will list all the local motors from the major yards with prices. I see one in Roy auto wrecking in spanaway with 86K on it for $550, hard to beat that.

I should probably give more info on this. . . I dont have the option of going junkyard or used. . . I am trading my dad my truck for his and he told me pretty much get Fawked if i didnt find a new long block. . . .

Really i just want a short block!!!!

Any ideas???

Go grab a little nickel there are bunch of companies who sell long block motors, however alot of them specialize in japanese motors but you can still find american stuff too. :awesomework:

Hit the junk yard, then the quarter car wash, then the paint store, Bam new Long block :haha:

a

just replaced the 4.0 in my girlfriends 98 ranger got it from the dealer 2200-2400 cant remember the exact amount but somewhere in that range

pull a part $100

I congratulate you on having the talent to actually blow up a 3.0... but I question your wanting to spend money on a new motor. 3.0s in general last forever and are damn hard to kill. They also are plentiful since most applications they were put in have automatic transmissions that expire at about 60,000 miles....

I congratulate you on having the talent to actually blow up a 3.0... but I question your wanting to spend money on a new motor. 3.0s in general last forever and are damn hard to kill. They also are plentiful since most applications they were put in have automatic transmissions that expire at about 60,000 miles....

Yeah this is a manual truck with 4.10s 33's spooled rear, the main reason y I am wanting a brand new shortblock is because my uncle has a supercharger in his garage for my truck but we never put it on because of the motor. . .

So i need a complete either short or long block. . .

you are contradicting in your post..

you say you want a brand "NEW" engine. those come in brand new carS and trucks. the majority of the engines nowdays are rebuilt or remanufactured engines using seasoned parts from old engines.

I personally have had good luck with T&W Engines in Marysville.I wouldnt get anything from Waterhouse, US Engines

but they are all old engines that are rebuilt/remanufactured........

you are contradicting in your post..

you say you want a brand "NEW" engine. those come in brand new carS and trucks. the majority of the engines nowdays are rebuilt or remanufactured engines using seasoned parts from old engines.

I personally have had good luck with T&W Engines in Marysville.I wouldnt get anything from Waterhouse, US Engines

but they are all old engines that are rebuilt/remanufactured........

Just an FYI......Waterhouse closed down like last year, my buddys dad was the one who owned it and they did good work! so :fawkdancesmiley:&:kissmybutt:

You can buy a whole ranger for the price of that engine.. I'd buy another one and swap whatever parts you like off the blown one onto the new one. Problem solved.

or junk/sell the pos ranger and get somethin better with the money :haha:

and what would u buy with $3500???? its a nice truck but i cant do the things i want with it, and a SAS on them is a royal pain in the ass!!! Due 2 rack and pinion steering and such. . .

Im really open 2 suggestions here. . . I also got a yfz450 i was thinking of selling as a package deal and gettin something prebuilt thats street legal. . . ?