• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Bringing the LJ back to life

You should "southern cut" the thornturds like on the front of this XJ.

2dje7t0.jpg

i agree totally....:awesomework:

You should "southern cut" the thornturds like on the front of this XJ.

:awesomework: That's kindof what I want to do with them, I was trying to find a "krawler" like pattern in them but I don't know if I could pull it off.
This is all just out of curiosity until I can round up the cash for some real tires. But I'm thinking they'll get progressively cut over a couple runs just to see if there is any hope for the redheaded step-child of the tire world. :redneck:

Of course, like any resourceful wheeler, I just happened to have a couple more out in the yard in the 33x12.50 flavor from the '81 crown vic/ltd I "used up". :redneck: So here's the start of that pattern, just to see it. Complete with "space age micro paddles" from the groover...
00bd15d0.jpg

I got one of the fronts cut tonight too.

4599d940.jpg

I also ordered a 5 gal. aluminum fuel cell tonight, the old 12 gallon just took up too much space. I'm shooting for one full day this weekend to button some stuff up on this thing. :cool:

I also ordered a 5 gal. aluminum fuel cell tonight, the old 12 gallon just took up too much space. I'm shooting for one full day this weekend to button some stuff up on this thing. :cool:

I wish I would have known you were looking for a new fuel cell, could have made you a good deal on the 8 gallon poly cell I pulled out of the FJ.

Glad to see its almost ready to go again. I'm hoping to get out to Elbe one more time before the snow comes, maybe we can make a run out there if you get her wrapped up soon.

I wish I would have known you were looking for a new fuel cell, could have made you a good deal on the 8 gallon poly cell I pulled out of the FJ.

Glad to see its almost ready to go again. I'm hoping to get out to Elbe one more time before the snow comes, maybe we can make a run out there if you get her wrapped up soon.

I must have looked at your for sale thread a half-a-thousand times, but I wanted a little smaller than the 8 gallon, and I wanted aluminum.
:bling: I'm thinking eventually, I'll get a small transfer tank for the trailer for long weekends.
Once it's done, I've got to get the tow rig road worthy, and a little upkeep on the trailer, but hopefully I can get all that done before the snow flies. If not I guess it'll be a shakedownsnow run. :D

I got alot of the little things squared away today, new rear driveshaft made and in, torqued down the wheel spacers, finished grooving and installed the tires, and started cutting up some shifters for twin sticks.
Once the fuel cell gets here, I'll have to make a mount for it and modify the plumbing and she'll be ready to fire up and do some testing. I still have the fender supports to add in, but wanted to flex it out and see what kind of room I have. Another project I added to the list today was a real-er overflow can for the radiator... to replace the dr. pepper bottle. :redneck:
Just a couple shots of it outside... the tires need to be about 5" bigger.. and not thornbirds....:booo::redneck:
231c2f0f.jpg

b832493e.jpg

Last edited:
Noooo, you can't get rid of the Dr. Pepper bottle, lol. Yeah, that thing definitely needs some taller tires.

cool to see it getting back together. what is the wheelbase now? my stepdad has an lj80 I want to gett from him but it is in canada and the fuel alone to pick it up isnt worth it(rough shape). The thornbirds are what ya got for now so id rock em. what size tire used to be on it? 38 12.5 or 36's? cool rig:awesomework:

I have a set of 36" Swampers sittin' here....they are oil can's---36x12.5 SX's, Grooved and great for a wheeler!!! (2 have some weathercheckin', but are 40%+ and hold air, the other 2 are 50%+and in great shape!)He wants $200 cash money for 'em...

cool to see it getting back together. what is the wheelbase now? my stepdad has an lj80 I want to gett from him but it is in canada and the fuel alone to pick it up isnt worth it(rough shape). The thornbirds are what ya got for now so id rock em. what size tire used to be on it? 38 12.5 or 36's? cool rig:awesomework:

Thanks. The wheelbase is right around 89". The old tires were 34 ltbs.

I have a set of 36" Swampers sittin' here....they are oil can's---36x12.5 SX's, Grooved and great for a wheeler!!! (2 have some weathercheckin', but are 40%+ and hold air, the other 2 are 50%+and in great shape!)He wants $200 cash money for 'em...

At that price, I'll take em. It'll be the weekend before I can get up that way.

if you want them, they are yours! :awesomework:

See ya Saturday---yer rig's gonna look sic with some meats on it! :D

Thanks again guys, and see you saturday. :awesomework:

Glad to see your back on your feet and getting your rig back together. Never did like seeing it on blocks.

:awesomework:

Thanks, it feels good. Parting it out was tough, but I always knew it'd come back together. And it sure beats plan A. :D (at least it's here to put back together)

So the fuel cell showed up today. :cheer:
9e6892b9.jpg

Saturday I'm headed up to walker to meet up with zukkev and oilcan to pick up the 36's, and if I have time maybe do the v-crack in the sami. :redneck:

Sunday hopefully I'll get the tires mounted up, and start in on a mount for the fuel cell. I still need to pick up a few fittings to get the cell plumbed in.

Thanks again guys, and see you saturday. :awesomework:

So the fuel cell showed up today. :cheer:
9e6892b9.jpg

Saturday I'm headed up to walker to meet up with zukkev and oilcan to pick up the 36's, and if I have time maybe do the v-crack in the sami. :redneck:

Cute lil cell! :redneck: That's just what I'll need for mine if/when I cut it up....:; What size is it??? O, and what time are ya thinkin' of being up here????:corn: