• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Bringing the LJ back to life

Love the fork lift set up! That could come in handy alot. I think cutting the fork tips from the bottom would help for things on the ground but cutting from the top would help with picking things up off a trailer. The backstop idea is good and I would set it to keep things from sliding into the winch cable.

:kissmybutt:

That was my first thought with the angle. The forks wouldnt want to dig in as much if the were cut the other way, from my logic.

I'm going to leave the tips how they are for now, if they prove to be a problem, I'm thinking about some slide ins that taper down to a nice point. With inserts, it would be easy to make extensions too.

After finishing up my christmas shopping, and wrapping presents, I managed to sneak in a few hours in the garage. :D
I made the lifting crossmember, and cut out some tabs for the shackle.
9e02c2b0.jpg

All the way up.. (nice boner bar, huh? :redneck: )
aca38fc3.jpg

f9729b33.jpg

With the hook bottomed on the fairlead, it still has room between the arms and bumper. :cool:
d6eef012.jpg

All the way down...
0bb82e14.jpg

And flat...
cf283c52.jpg

17" at "flat"
2b14fa7b.jpg

Backstop coming soon......

Forkzuki

After christmas out at my sisters, I came back to the house and got going on the back stop. I wanted to get this thing *done (usable) tonight, so I could play around with it in the yard tomorrow.

I just used some 2x2 with the seam side cut off, to make some c-channel pieces, added a crossmember out of the same 1.5" x 3" as the forks and other crossmember.
This is with the backstop all the way forward. It could possibly be usefull for lightly ramming things in this position. :D
cf8cca7e.jpg

Shorty forks, for axles and light stuff I want to keep out at the end of the forks.
782a1dbf.jpg

All the way back, for larger items, and heavier axles/motors/items that I want to transport further back on the forks.
1bb7e7be.jpg

Backstop all the way back, and forks all the way up.
e463db9c.jpg

And the attachment of the backstop to the forks.
654cee7c.jpg

I may add more to the backstop, I'm not sure if it'll be big/wide enough, but I'll have to test it out to know for sure.

That's pretty awesome man, I need to do something like that to my Cruiser.

Is that thing heavy enough in the rear to be able to lift anything heavy without the rear suspension unloading or are you going to rig up some sort of counter weight to hang off the back to keep the ass end down?

Sent from my Galaxy S II using Tapatalk

That's pretty awesome man, I need to do something like that to my Cruiser.

Is that thing heavy enough in the rear to be able to lift anything heavy without the rear suspension unloading or are you going to rig up some sort of counter weight to hang off the back to keep the ass end down?

Sent from my Galaxy S II using Tapatalk

:awesomework:

good idea Derrick keep that back in good shape.

Thats awesome....

Thanks guys.
With the old stinger, I was able to lift the ass-end of my old ranger off the ground, and I also moved the sj410 tub around with it just fine. I'm expecting to be able to pick up the bare tintop tub I've got, and move it around the yard just fine. Probably the heaviest I'll lift with it would be a smallblock v8 or fullwidth axles (and that's a maybe down the road thing.) I'd also think it would be a helpful tool for work parties, when I'm able to get back into those.

What an eventful day.
I started out the morning by drilling the bushings out to 1/2", and rounding up nuts and bolts for the pivots. I also added some short sections of 1/2" square to the tops of the backboard bolts, so I wouldn't need a wrench to move it around.
I took it out back and started with a backhalf of a soft top tub, and it slid under, lifted, transported and placed it across the yard without getting out of the rig. :cool:
Once that was out of the way, I went after the tintop tub. It lifted it just fine, but when I went to back up, I realized it was a little light on the back, as I was only in 2wd low. :haha: Shifted over to 4low and drove it out of the yard.

8654f1ed.jpg

I did have to add a block of wood under the one fork, cause it wasn't really doing any of the lifting, the tub was teetering on a single fork.
4e203526.jpg

While out messing around, I discovered a pinhole leak in the fuelfilter up by the engine, so I went to town and got a new one, and finally broke down and bought an alternator. :cheer:

So....that's it right??? I can haz wheeling fun???

Nope. :booo:
Not quite yet. I still need a tow rig. The bronco is needing more than I originally thought, and currently I've got to figure out why it's got no spark, new booster, figure out the headlight gremlin...

And the LJ of course showed one more problem tonight. I had it idling out in the yard while trying to get the bronco started, and noticed the fan never kicked on. The thermo switch is kind of hokey to begin with, and I think sitting out in the driveway for so long did it in. I could get the fan to switch on, but I'd like to do some research on wiring it in to the existing switch on the engine.

A little closer......

After market fan switches never last for very long. The only one that I've found that works worth a **** is the dakota digital fan controller, and as much as I love all the cool **** it does and how well it works on my tow rig there is no way I am putting one of those things on a wheelin rig. Too many small electronics.

Factory switches are the only way to go on wheelin rigs.:awesomework:

Summit has a ton of temp switches that screw in the block in different threads and temp ranges. But if the factory one is still there you're right, it's the best option.

I refuse to install one of those cheap shitters that push into the radiator core. :puke:

exactly, thats why my fan is just on all the time on a regular ol toggle switch with good relay.
that little fork lift is awsome!

Thanks guys.
Turns out the motor doesn't have a stock switch (something I forgot about since the stock clutch fan has been long removed.) I did a little research (very little) and read that an 88 mustang switch seems to be the go-to for ranger/mazdas. I'll have to do a little more research, but I'm hoping I can substitute the guage sender unit for this mustang switch and be good to go. BUT, for the meantime, I just filled another hole in the dash with a toggle switch.

I've been tinkering with the forklift and adding attachments as needed while cleaning up the junkyard out back.

The 4wd wheelbarrow....
abd8093e.jpg

942433d8.jpg

And a reciever on the backstop for moving the trailer around the yard. I ran out of c25 for the welder, but I plan to get some this weekend and finish up the wheelbarrow (make quick disconnects to hook to forks, I just c-clamped it to the backboard last weekend and it worked out pretty good) and receiver (finish weld and add gussets)
c4fb9659.jpg

My boss just gave me this tonight :cool: I'll be using it for a rear suckdown winch, in place of the cable limiting strap it's currently sporting.
6d490a21.jpg

78379e84.jpg

c116b050.jpg

Last edited:
I went and got more argon today and "finished" up the backboard today. I say "finished", because I'd like to add some provisions to chain/tie things to it, for longer distance travel.
I was going to add two uprights on the lower section, directly below the two upper ones, but they'd have made it a pain to get the hitch pin in. I'm thinking a couple triangle gussets in the lower outer corners, with some keyhole style chain hooks cut into them will finish this thing off.

87a9b7bc.jpg

5d20cc5f.jpg

I added these "walls" to keep the forks from being forced inward and free of the backboard clamps.
3d2dc1c8.jpg

I started looking into mounting the rear winch, and in the process, my rear shocks were removed and upper shock mounts cut off... :redneck:
I cut a new crossmember from the leftover dom from my draglink upgrade... 1.5"x.250" The winch will be tucked between this and the rearmost tube crossmember on the frame.
dd3f4e7f.jpg

The winch cable off, I'm going to upgrade it to 1/4".
a65f6a3e.jpg

Tucking the shocks back up there is going to get very interesting. From the looks of things, I could stand to loose an inch or two of uptravel on the shocks with the current suspension travel, so they're going to get outboarded as much as possible on the upper mounts, to also help in the cornering/sidehilling department. There may or may not be some new lower mounts needed by the time it's done...

Winch is in.. :cool: Shocks are still out... :booo:

d2191077.jpg

c2afcc85.jpg

9f0226c2.jpg

video: I still need to permanent wire it...

It compresses the bumpstops by nearly an inch, so I'm interested to see what it does for sidehills and cornering.. It should work out pretty good. I just need to find room for the shocks now..

Last edited:
whats next, snow plow? :D
Would not take much.....
I could have used some of those attachments while we lifted our house and built the shop.

Last edited:
That suck down going to the bumps should help a ton with side hills.
My thoughts exactly.

whats next, snow plow? :D
Would not take much.....
I could have used some of those attachments while we lifted our house and built the shop.
That's funny, because I was contemplating it last saturday, but decided to mount the winch instead. I've got a nice 3/4" thick slab of rubber to bolt to the bottom edge to make it easy on the driveway too. :D
I'm hoping all these attachments will come in handy when I get out of this house and onto a piece of property. :cool:

Hopefully soon. I've got a couple hours work to get it ready, but the main holdup is a tow rig. Income tax return is coming soon, so I'm hoping for a shakedown in feb sometime. :cool: :masturbanana[1]:

I'll throw mine in the bed and yours on my trailer:redneck:

whats next, snow plow?
9da41522.jpg

b8346fd4.jpg

Slides into the reciever on the backboard and the left side pushes against the end of the fork to help support it while pushing.
5f1d2c13.jpg

cleared the sideroad no problem. :cool:
a0335d27.jpg

All the way to the neighbors. :haha: (was actually planning to do it to the end, but a nasty rain came in quick so I darted for the garage.)
f7044772.jpg

It also made quick work of condensing the pile of tree that fell out front.
29656d46.jpg

I had started this last night in thoughts of using it for not only a scoop, but a plow as well, but I want to take my time on the dump latch, and all the snow would have been melted by the time I had it ready to use, so I opted for the quick hitch blade this morning.
4fdd5005.jpg

The drop latch I'm wanting to build will lock the bucket both horizontal, so I can use it to scoop, then pull the drop latch and dump, as well as lock it vertical, for use as a light grading blade/snowplow. The bucket will be mounted straight to the forks, so it will be heavier duty than the reciever blade.
bucketdump.jpg

Latest posts