• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Budget bouncer build "Dirty Habits"

Dirt700

Going to be a slow budget build I only have around 1000 to spend some months others less. Soon as my jeep sells I will knock a bunch out. Hopefully start bending tube this weekend
Specs:
Chassis is going to be schedule 80 and hrew
5.3 vortec, free did some dirt work for a guy
Th400
Ford np205
14bolt rear
Hp60 front 5:13s

Are most of yall with coolant ran thru the frame using an -16 fittings?

What is a good steering pump? I looked at psc, howe, trail gear, just not sure what one would work good for me. Don't want to spend 800 hundred dollars, but want to have good steering setup.

I'm planning on a ptc th400, i know they are pretty much the best, are there any others that build good transmissions? I have read mixed reviews on monster.

Thanks for any help, part numbers, or links guys

muddinmetal said:
Why **** pipe, .120 wall 1.75 hrew is strong, much lighter, and pretty cheap
I was talking to one of the rock bouncer racers, and he said he uses it alot in his builds. I was going to use all dom, but he said if I wasn't going to race it anything seriously to use schedule 80 and 120 hrew.the frame rails and front shock hoops will use the 80

An on my radiator plumbing I just used the appropriate sized tube for bungs and went with all rubber hoses with traditional hose clamps.. I did use the heavy duty hydrolic hose though..

tommy450r said:
An on my radiator plumbing I just used the appropriate sized tube for bungs and went with all rubber hoses with traditional hose clamps.. I did use the heavy duty hydrolic hose though..
Thanks, I will look into the dual pumps.

Do you ever have any problems with leaks using traditional style radiator hoses?

So far I havent had any trouble at all. I went the cheap easy way so if I do blow or tear a hose I can fix it quick and easy.

I also used hydraulic hose. Except no frame rails just hose front to rear. I tought about redoing frame but to be honest I like the hose and will probably just keep a spare length in my trailer and add better clamps. I would say -16 is fine. I'm running 3/4 and haven't had any cooling issues. however I've only wheeled in cool month so far.
Good luck. Take a lot of pics when you get done you may never build another. I know I won't, somebody will get my money for a chassis. When I total this one.

Eddyj said:
I also used hydraulic hose. Except no frame rails just hose front to rear. I tought about redoing frame but to be honest I like the hose and will probably just keep a spare length in my trailer and add better clamps. I would say -16 is fine. I'm running 3/4 and haven't had any cooling issues. however I've only wheeled in cool month so far.
Good luck. Take a lot of pics when you get done you may never build another. I know I won't, somebody will get my money for a chassis. When I total this one.
I'm thinking I will still run it thru the chassis , but use regular hose like tommy, that way if one breaks I can just and pick up one at the parts store

Absolutely on running through the chassis it can only help the cooling. I wish that could have been done on mine. I'm just saying if you do the same size outputs and inputs on everything and run hose clamps. A trail repair would be a lot easier with a length of hose, than dealing with fittings. Also a lot less expensive.
I think sometimes I worry to much about simplicity and cost and let that get in the way of doing things the better way.

Looking forward to the project. Is this your first buggy build or what have you built before if you don't mind me asking? It takes serious commitment to complete a project like this so I'm always curious to what other people's backgrounds were prior to.

nhl_bullitt said:
Looking forward to the project. Is this your first buggy build or what have you built before if you don't mind me asking? It takes serious commitment to complete a project like this so I'm always curious to what other people's backgrounds were prior to.
Thanks, I've been following your build pretty close. It looks like it's going to be a sharp buggy. I haven't built anything this serious, I have built a couple of jeeps into mild trail rigs. The jeep I have now was pretty much done when I got it.