• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

budjet yj build

money_pit_yj

This probably ain't worth a build thread but its mynfirst real build seeing as how I bought my last rig and have just finished it up some. My wife wants to build our original play jeep to be able to ride with us in our trail rigs. I am starting with a 1990 yj, 4.2l 5 speed. The plans are a SOA 8.8 swap with a lunchbox locker and a cage with 35" procomps, and the motorcraft 2150 crab swap. Before I get started I have a few questions. This is a dual purpose rig. We are working on a tight budget. She will most likely drive "my" jeep til we hit the hard stuff where we will play and then we will swap cause she doesn't like driving a 5 speed. My questions are.

Right now it has 3.73 gears and 33" tires and rides good on highway. Will 4.10s and 35s kill the highway drivability 55-60iimph?
Lock the front or rear at first?
Anybody ever used a rampage top and if so was it worth the cost savings?

I've got 4.10's and 35's in my yj. Granted, I've got the 4.0 but it can easily do 75 with a tailwind. I would recommend against a lunchbox locker in the rear. Had one in mine and did well on trails but hated it on the road. Always clicked and jerked going around turns. Never felt or heard the lunchbox in the front.

I ran 4.88's with the 8.8 rear on 36" TSLs and I still had my 5th gear. I think if you are going to do this once just to have another capable rig then go with 4.56s and do the 4 to 1 kit and call it done. You can run up to a 35" tire all day with that setup. If you can find some chromos for the hp30 that will save you some headache down the road.

If you really want to call it done, find a 78 ford f150 supercab, it has the f250 dana hp44 but with a 5x5.5 bolt pattern, run spacers/adapters to the 8.8 and it will run anywhere you wan to go.

Got the carb in today and going to get it installed and get it back running right. Working on lining up stuff for 8.8 and SOA swap. To anyone's knowledge is there a "Kit" or do I have to piece all the bracketry together to do this? Also, I have a 4" SUA lift on it now, if I just go SOA with current springs it will be an additional 4" on top of standard SOA lift right? I know they are probably dumb questions, but I want to get it right before we start. Cant be running 11" lift and 33s :rolf:

Yeah, SOA with 4" springs would be huge. My old YJ was SOA with 2" BDS springs and I cleared 37s easily.

If you go SOA an anti-wrap bar is an absolute necessity. It will be dang near un-drivable without one. Somebody used to make some 0" lift springs made specifically for SOA, thinking maybe it was Rubicon Express. I would recommend those. Had a buddy with a YJ set up identical to mine but had stock springs. He was constantly bending springs.

Having owned an SOA Jeep, if it were me, if all you plan to run is 35s. I would keep the 4" lift and keep it SUA. Maybe tube fenders in the front and trim the rear if necessary.

If/when you decide to go bigger you'll most likely be swapping axles. Then at that point you can just link it and forget it. Lol.

Edit:

I believe Barnes4WD has spring perches for the 8.8. They have a pretty good selection of leaf spring parts.

My BIL just sold a yj just like you are describing.

He picked up a set of 30/35 with 4.88 gears, ARB front Detroit rear, super 35 kit, chromo front, ARB compressor and wiring for $1000. We swapped that under his jeep and did a 4" SUA lift and 33s, and a SYE on the tcase.

It was a good little trail jeep but he only took it riding a few times and decided he'd rather just play with rc cars

money_pit_yj said:
Got the carb in today and going to get it installed and get it back running right. Working on lining up stuff for 8.8 and SOA swap. To anyone's knowledge is there a "Kit" or do I have to piece all the bracketry together to do this? Also, I have a 4" SUA lift on it now, if I just go SOA with current springs it will be an additional 4" on top of standard SOA lift right? I know they are probably dumb questions, but I want to get it right before we start. Cant be running 11" lift and 33s :rolf:
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/88SS-31.html
I think this would work. Might just need to flip the center pin on the springs unless you use soa springs. Rubicon express makes 1.5" soa springs. They'll net you close to 7" of lift, maybe a touch more since you're swapping in an 8.8.

If your going for a budget build and it has 4in lift springs already, I'd run it like that. I clear 40's SUA in the back of mine. No track bar, no wheel hop, no axle wrap. hitit

ae552ffc2dc80981dc8df1d60d8065e2.jpg

Just get you a four inch lift fits 35s pretty good just have to trim the back flares a litle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a 4" lift with TJ flares will be enough for 35s. To swap from a SUA 4" to a SOA will have a lot of extra costs and this is a budget build.

a lot of the 8.8s come with 4.10 gears and you can get the front 30 gears from a 4cyl YJ. Pullapart in Bham always has a lot of exlorers out there.

Here is one of the ultimate 8.8 swap threads:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/yet-another-ford-8-8-swap-extras-1565339/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/8-8-consolidation-thread-2414825/
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?371713-8-8-FACTS-OPINIONS-amp-HOW-TO-S-(F-A-Q-)

http://www.barnes4wd.com/Ford-88-Axle-Swap-Combo_p_142.html

money_pit_yj said:
How much does the SUA limit the ride and capability of the Jeep.

Mine is not limited at all by the spring under leafs. Everyone who sees it is always impressed with how well it works. I have a comp cut because it's stretched 7-8 inches. I have 5 inches up travel and 5 down.

I ride with a guy that a SUA lift and he can not drive over a speed bump crooked and not lift a tire it seems. At GMP he almost rolled over on trail 15 becasue of it. I have a tj so the SUA/SOA is something im not extremely familar with but just figured i'd throw my observation out there.

As far as the lunch box in the front: I had one in my 30 when i had it and I would not recommend it. I broke it twice and it clicked and popped out of the box. This is just my .02

Re: Re: budjet yj build

rednecklights said:
I guess I'm the anti-cool but you'd be money ahead just leaving the 33's and current gearing.

Spend the money on lockers and a good winch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hell I didn't realize it already had 33s on it....

Slap some lockers and a winch in that thing and go wheel.

My YJ is currently SOA with xj spring in rear and yj/chevy1/2 ton in the front. With front tube fenders and comp cut rear there is a ton of room for the 42's