• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Building house, house plans?

Regarding basements, how is the most solid and cost effective way to build one? Like said before, I've always noticed block basements most all have problems leaking at some point.

Re:

86chevota said:
1- make sure the site is preped so that water drains away from the house and use foundation drains and gutter drains . Most problems with leaking basements and homes with water damage start here :dblthumb:
2- use block
3- use floor trusses !!!! Take notes on the floor trusses! Yes it cost more up front but it will reduce framing time and material waste.

Best way JD ! If you won't to save money leave the basement unfinished . With the exception of the basement having heat/air , extra can lights and electric plugs tons of them(you can move the plugs later as you finish basement. If you use the the floor trusses than you will have a big open area. Later after you have/money you can finish the basement room by room if you won't. By than you will time and a better ideas of what you want :dblthumb:

We just did a 38x40 addition to our house. And we lived in it as it was going on :****: it is stressful on a relationship that's right at a few times during the buildup we were both telling each other :gtfo: but it got done and all is good now. It cost right at 60k also :eek: but if you want nice you gotta pay for it.

Wimpykid on here drew up our addition and we changed it up a little but really it's his design. He may could draw you one up for a small fee.

Re: Re:

86chevota said:
Best way JD ! If you won't to save money leave the basement unfinished . With the exception of the basement having heat/air , extra can lights and electric plugs tons of them(you can move the plugs later as you finish basement. If you use the the floor trusses than you will have a big open area. Later after you have/money you can finish the basement room by room if you won't. By than you will time and a better ideas of what you want :dblthumb:
Assuming proper site prep, why block vs formed-poured vs prefab/precast?

Cost?

TBItoy said:
Assuming proper site prep, why block vs formed-poured vs prefab/precast?

Cost?

For me it's because am old school.If It's not broke don't fix it :dblthumb:! Block is great if done right from the start. It will never stand a chance if done wrong from the beginning that's why sometimes it gets a bad wrap. I've seen block and formed-poured and precast work and fail! For the system I have with using block it works very well. I have zero calls or complaints! Now I do a lot of prep to insure the block and your basement/ home stays dry for a very long time. Won't list all of them but with any house your dirt work has to be perfect. This insures all water runs away from home! Your footers must be perfect! Can't til you how many times footers are fawkup !!!! I could go on and on.

Mongo44 said:
Unless his county/city require a stamp, Alabama state law does not require an Architect stamp. And I have honestly never heard of a county/city that does for residential buildouts.

Plans are expensive because software and technical skill are expensive. Plus dumbass people wanting to make a million changes but not wanting to pay for it. High initial cost + obscene hourly rate for modifications keep the indecisive folks honest.

Last set of house plans I did were $800 out the door. They found a free plan set that had the exterior design they wanted and the required structural components I needed but wanted to change up the interior to better suit their family needs. $75/hr adds up quick when you change your mind a lot.
It's not always for the municipal. Sometimes banks want the stamp.

Locally here the county wanted stamped prints when I was discussing building a metal building with a house inside. Paper napkin was fine for a normal residence.

halcat said:
See how easy it is to build a house. you have a lot to sort through.

Yeah man! I have a headache already! :****: :rolf:

Tons of good info and ideas being brought up, this thread will be very valuable to me if we decide to build. I love the internet.

Re:

I don't have much to add other than make sure you put an electrical outlet near this crapper. Taking a dump and your phone dying can be pretty traumatic.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Re: Re: Re:

86chevota said:
For me it's because am old school.If It's not broke don't fix it :dblthumb:! Block is great if done right from the start. It will never stand a chance if done wrong from the beginning that's why sometimes it gets a bad wrap. I've seen block and formed-poured and precast work and fail! For the system I have with using block it works very well. I have zero calls or complaints! Now I do a lot of prep to insure the block and your basement/ home stays dry for a very long time. Won't list all of them but with any house your dirt work has to be perfect. This insures all water runs away from home! Your footers must be perfect! Can't til you how many times footers are fawkup !!!! I could go on and on.
Do you guys have to fill/pour the block? They stated mandating it here a while back.

Have you used Superior Walls? If so, thoughts?

Building our house now:
Matel house- with interior framed in wood but from outside looks like metal shop.
1850 sq ft inside
8 ft wrap around porch
Carport is 40ft wide
Pex for plumbing / foam insulation
I have plans drawn up by architect.

Pm me if I can help.

Re: Re: Re:

paradisepwoffrd said:
Do you guys have to fill/pour the block? They stated mandating it here a while back.

Have you used Superior Walls? If so, thoughts?

Codes in TN are a funny thing. Yes we have them but it changes from place to place and city vs county. A lot of places outside of the big towns don't really have anyone to inforce them :dunno:. I haven't myself used Superior walls but have been around them on remodels.,I don't know enough about them to say or give you honest thoughts sorry wish I could help with that.

Re: Re: Building house, house plans?

clutchee said:
Building our house now:
Matel house- with interior framed in wood but from outside looks like metal shop.
1850 sq ft inside
8 ft wrap around porch
Carport is 40ft wide
Pex for plumbing / foam insulation
I have plans drawn up by architect.

Pm me if I can help.
What made you go with the pex, instead of regular pvc?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Plans are expensive. Recently purchased a set of 5 for a craftsman style home, about $1300. Bid came in way higher than what we wanted to spend. (Anyone looking for a set on the cheap gimme a holler!) Details on craftsman style really drive the price up. Changed gears now and are pretty much set on a French country style, all brick with partial basement. Took exterior pic of one with floorplan from another to architect and gonna have him combine the two. Open floor plan, good insulation, good windows and nice kitchen and master suite.
No machine gun turrets....my wife is a Jehovahs Witness.

Re:

I like the craftsman look, but the 19 rooflines, intricate exterior wood, and stone work could get ridiculous.

Most of the new spec houses going up here are like "craftsman lite", regular houses in earthy/darker colors(vinyl), small stone bases on tapered columns, maybe one small stoned or shake siding feature.

Looks pretty nice without looking trendy or overdone

Turnkey bid on the craftsman, 1879 square feet with two car attached garage, was $352,000.....Bout fell over!! :****:
The stacked stone, Hardy siding, shake, brackets, nine ten and eleven foot ceilings = $$$$$.
I like brick better anyways! Lol
Gonna sub this one ourselves like we did last one. We work in home construction industry so we know subs for each stage of the building process and also see their work on a regular basis. Makes it a little easier. Hoping to be in by winter....haven't broke ground yet!

johneddie said:
Turnkey bid on the craftsman, 1879 square feet with two car attached garage, was $352,000.....Bout fell over!! :****:
The stacked stone, Hardy siding, shake, brackets, nine ten and eleven foot ceilings = $$$$$.
I like brick better anyways! Lol
Gonna sub this one ourselves like we did last one. We work in home construction industry so we know subs for each stage of the building process and also see their work on a regular basis. Makes it a little easier. Hoping to be in by winter....haven't broke ground yet!

Sounds similar to the house we'd like to build, and yeah I bout **** when I got to looking into pricing. I'm planning on a budget of under $150k. I'll do a lot or most of the work myself though, and we'd be building 100yrds from the current shophouse, so utilities and such are already on site.

Re: Re: Building house, house plans?

ROKTOY829 said:
What made you go with the pex, instead of regular pvc?

Pex for water lines and pvc for drain lines. I think that's what he is saying

Re: Re: Re: Building house, house plans?

86chevota said:
Pex for water lines and pvc for drain lines. I think that's what he is saying
I was wondering what was the factor, he choose pex for the water lines.