• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

bulletproofing dodge transmissions

Dain Bramage

So I'm gonna be looking to buy a diesel in the next couple months, and I love the cummins, but I'm obviously not too keen on the auto trannys. I have heard the phrase "bulletproof" used in reference to these trannys a number of times. What work is done to these trannys to make them stronger, and what can I expect to pay to have it done? This truck will most likely be a daily driver in addition to being a toy hauler.

This truck really caught my eye. Do the older autos hold up any better?

3Ga3I83J55L95I45Ked1t5ef0fa55725a1b2d.jpg

Go with a large trans cooler but not too large. Most of your money needs to be spent on Kevlar bands, deep pan, and a very good torque converter. Otherwise, keep it cool and keep your foot out of it.

If you buyhigh mileage truck then the tranny most likely will have been upgraded

Nice 1st gen Taylor...92? The older auto's also have issues, but most will be taken care of if the trans has been gone thru... PM oil can, he's got one like this only 2wd, and seems happy...

Its a good looking truck, but not exactly what I'm looking for. I don't need a dually, dont really want to deal with that on a DD, and I'm really looking for a 4wd. My 2wd GMC ****ed me up pretty good on the hangover run.

I found a couple of 5speeds, do those still have the granny low?

Yes. The first gear is pretty low on mine. I generally only use it for towing. The 1st gen trucks that came with a manual got the Getrag G360. This is a very good transmission. They generally need be gone through more often than the later NV4500s but they are similar in overall strength and never lose a 5th gear nut.

I own both a 91 4X4 Getrag SC truck and a 93 2wd auto CC. As such I can tell you driving 2wd auto daily is WAAAAAAAY better than the 91. A single cab (SC) 4X4 manual 1st gen Dodge is more "operated" than driven. It is like a tractor with pickup truck skins tack welded to it.

Go to 1stgen.org and do some reading while you watch craigslist. :awesomework:

I found a couple of 5speeds, do those still have the granny low?

I had a 97' and only used first when towing :awesomework:

5th gear nut can be an issue but just weld that crap on it will be fine hahaha or buy the update kit, Ive had one apart it isnt too bad to work on really. Just a pain to pull and put back, having a port a power will be your friend for this:awesomework:

i like the idea of an auto for daily driving, i'm tired of shifting, but i dont want to spend $2000 every few years to have the trans done, and i dont have the cash available to have it done right.

dodge auto rebulid look around $3500+

cummins best motor out-dodge auto behind cummins worst auto ever..

dodge auto--has restrictions in the line,needs drilled out
small cooler in radiator-needs bigger secondary cooler+might add a fan
valve body has small ports that need opened up
solenoid packs in dodge suck(upgrade to gm shift solenoid)
torque convertor(garbage)-aftermarket helps
aluminum planetary gears(4)-upgrade 5 steel

after all this my tranny kicks ass

new dodge aisin tranny(basically an alison trans)

IIRC My transmission cost about 3800 to get rebuilt "right".
I have towed with it since.I service her every year.
My 93 Dodge 4x4 extracab is a beast of a truck.Not the best to daily drive at all.Rides like a tank , but will pull a building over.

I have stock size tires on her and have gotten as good as 21mpg with it loaded.(12ft camper),no trailer.I avg about 15mpg hauling my old wheeler (no matter what trailer I borrowed:))....

Good hauling rigs for sure:awesomework:
cheers

http://www.nw-wheelers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41544

Almost 4 years and 40,000 miles of hauling and NO tranny problems.

Everybody had me scared of the autos. I even bought a billet tripple disc converter (havent installed it yet).

If I drive like a girl and ease into it real light I can feel a little shudder, but if ya just push into it it picks up the line pressure faster and clamps harder, no shudder.

Tranny guy told me to drive it like an asshole, not a granpa. Said it would last longer that way.

Im glad I dont have a clutch to push in.

This truck has been a VERY economical choice for us.

Even after having my Dakota tranny rebuilt, after it having only 115000 on it, I can honestly say, the best way to make it 'bulletproof' is to buy anything but a Dodge.

Yeah, rebuilt, shift kit, cooler, better converter. still have issue with the temp light comping on for the transmission, and that just doing regular driving. No strain can happen anytime.

Fun part is, check the temp, when the light was on, and it was fine. Looks liek the computer is junk.

Thank you Dodge, for making a POS.