• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

bulletproofing dodge transmissions

Just read over the site Horus suggested. The first Gen autos don't really need what the 2nd gens do.

After towing with a few built auto's, I don't want one. Newer stock autos like the 08 plus Chevy, Ford and Dodge. I'll take one of those over a manual any day. But the older stuff, I'll take a manual.

Last edited:
http://www.nw-wheelers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41544

Almost 4 years and 40,000 miles of hauling and NO tranny problems.

Everybody had me scared of the autos. I even bought a billet tripple disc converter (havent installed it yet).

If I drive like a girl and ease into it real light I can feel a little shudder, but if ya just push into it it picks up the line pressure faster and clamps harder, no shudder.

Tranny guy told me to drive it like an asshole, not a granpa. Said it would last longer that way.

Im glad I dont have a clutch to push in.

This truck has been a VERY economical choice for us.

I couldn't agree more, I bought mine new with 100 miles and loaded and overloaded it every day the first 150k of my trucks life got 170k before my tranny went. Probly still be stock tranny if I didn't keep running it with some unchecked issues. I think I've gotten my money out of mine couldn't be happier with my dodge auto, and it'll pull any thing those 6 speeds pull

I had a very nice tranny built for my '06 by a shop down in Kent (Mark something....they are in the old Chev Dealership building). Cost me about 4400 - had everything but billet shafts done. It was quite a pill to swallow with only 15K on the truck, but I knew that if I was going to play, I was going to end up paying for it anyway - better to plan it, than react to it.

He set it up to be smoother shifting - I didnt want the neck snap that a lot of guys like. Run my Smarty on level 9 now, and tow a 10K trailer.

With a 1st gen, I'd doubt ifthey would have neough power to really tear up a tranny. Unless your hauling a heavy ass load - like 15K + - and dont properly shift them, you shouldn't really have an issue. Besides, your looking at purchasing a 20 year old rig - your rolling the dice on the entire drivetrain, as you would with any vehicle that old.

I had a very nice tranny built for my '06 by a shop down in Kent (Mark something....they are in the old Chev Dealership building). Cost me about 4400 - had everything but billet shafts done. It was quite a pill to swallow with only 15K on the truck, but I knew that if I was going to play, I was going to end up paying for it anyway - better to plan it, than react to it.

He set it up to be smoother shifting - I didnt want the neck snap that a lot of guys like. Run my Smarty on level 9 now, and tow a 10K trailer.

With a 1st gen, I'd doubt ifthey would have neough power to really tear up a tranny. Unless your hauling a heavy ass load - like 15K + - and dont properly shift them, you shouldn't really have an issue. Besides, your looking at purchasing a 20 year old rig - your rolling the dice on the entire drivetrain, as you would with any vehicle that old.

Reaally?:haha:

Besides, your looking at purchasing a 20 year old rig - your rolling the dice on the entire drivetrain, as you would with any vehicle that old.

Id take a simple wore out drivetrain over a NEW electric one anyday.

New diesels spend half thier life in for repair.

300-500k older rigs are common. Now you are nuts buy a diesel (electro) with over 100k with no warranty.

Id take a simple wore out drivetrain over a NEW electric one anyday.

New diesels spend half thier life in for repair.

300-500k older rigs are common. Now you are nuts buy a diesel (electro) with over 100k with no warranty.

yep.....

AND, I have seen on these here interwebs where folllks have done gots alots more horesespower outs'em..............
Just sayin....
The fastest diesel i evers did done saw was a generations one ..

:fawkdancesmiley:

The power and the first gen statment is somewhat true. The ve rotary pump is a good pump and very reliable and it can be turned up quite a bit but stock the tranny will last a long time because it makes around 120 horse at the tires. Turn the pump up and do the basic intake exhaust package and injectors then see how long till it chatters.

The power and the first gen statment is somewhat true. The ve rotary pump is a good pump and very reliable and it can be turned up quite a bit but stock the tranny will last a long time because it makes around 120 horse at the tires. Turn the pump up and do the basic intake exhaust package and injectors then see how long till it chatters.
As far as first gens go........
He was saying that they would not be ABLE to ruin a trans....

I already ruined a trans ,so I know what it feels like.And I did it barely turned up, BFH, and exhaust.NO injector upgrade.:haha:
You mean the same thing as me,I think:haha:

I am not saying I know power and these trucks.I need more power but am not willing to pay the consequences :flipoff:

Back to topic.
The last time I towed with my truck was to the Hangover run.I towed a 10k capable trailer with my car on it.The trans temp did not get above 150*.
I also make sure that when I am towing I do not have overdrive on.
The older Auto's can be a slushbox, but if taken care of they are just as good as a manual.
The newer Autos are killer too.My father inlaw has one in his 05 that he regularly puts through the paces driving it all around the West, with a 4k camper on the back , towing his 18 ft Hewescraft/Merc150:redneck: .

Anyways..:fawkdancesmiley:

I was going over towing with a guy at Dave Smiths since we are ordering two new 3500's and we have had a lot of tranny issues, he said that the 2013 3500's will be able to tow around 30K which is more than double the 2012 3500's! The only problem is that I need them asap, and they haven't even started shipping.

On a side note, we do have a '99 CTD that has been gone through, but the tranny is slipping....hoping to pick it up cheap :redneck:

As far as first gens go........
He was saying that they would not be ABLE to ruin a trans....
:

No, I said SHOULN'T ruin one....based on stock power levels. Now, if your not stock, you are your own warranty provider.....

When I blew mine, I was only at 10K on the clicker. But I was running Beta Test software (which malfunctioned), and I knew I wasn't going to be happy worrying about the power I was putting down.

yep.....
The fastest diesel i evers did done saw was a generations one ..

:fawkdancesmiley:

Which one was that? Low 9's is about the best being achieved so far. Lenny at DDP has a new truck this year. Looks like a nice set up - expecting to see some good runs outta him once it gets "broke" in.
Littel Red Rocket is my fav for local trucks. Rottin Rhonda runs a helluva fast 4x4 (into the 10's if I recall correctly).

I was going over towing with a guy at Dave Smiths since we are ordering two new 3500's and we have had a lot of tranny issues, he said that the 2013 3500's will be able to tow around 30K which is more than double the 2012 3500's! The only problem is that I need them asap, and they haven't even started shipping.

On a side note, we do have a '99 CTD that has been gone through, but the tranny is slipping....hoping to pick it up cheap :redneck:

They can legally tow more. The only reason the ratings have jumped up across the board is because they finally have a rating system that they set up with the DOT. Before 2013, it was just whatever number the manufacturer wanted to put in their ads

Software on a first gen?
Must be a new kinda first gen.....:haha:

Could genuinely care less about real power.I am going to say that first gens are more the truck than any other anyway.Sooo, LOL:fawkdancesmiley:

Last edited:
It takes more then one wire. It takes the same as a p-pumped truck, but offers less power :fawkdancesmiley:

MAybe more than one wire, but NO electronics.

The reward is massive relability.

I had a guy here yesterday that bought one of my tractors, he was driving the same truck as mine. Silver extended cab cummins. Except it was a 24V.

I asked if he liked it. He said he loved it, except for the pump, injectors and FASS setup he just HAD to install cuz it puked on him out of town and had a massive tow bill.

Glad I dont have to worry about that. :D

YEah, I was makin fun,But didna think it woulda been takin right....

Jesus your quick , by the time I changed it, you had referred to it!!

YEah, I was makin fun,But didna think it woulda been takin right....

Jesus your quick , by the time I changed it, you had referred to it!!

I HEART my little ponies!!!

Wanna know something funny? When quoting someone... You can change what they wrote... And it looks like they wrote it! Lol