• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

cabover camper

trailyota

We're thinking about getting a cabover camper in the next year or two. We have a shortbed 04 HD2500 4x4 with a duramax. The rig has GWV's comparable to a one-ton, and the RV dealer said it'll hold the cabover weights fine.

We're thinking about an Arctic fox 811 w/slide, but has anyone used these? What are your likes/dislikes. And what brands have you used on what kind of rig. Again likes/dislikes with those too.

Photos are nice too.

Thx.

Arctic Fox is a quality brand camper. You'll like it.

S&S is kinda a 'lower' end camper, and I had one for 15 years. Held up great. Loved the storage space. However it started leaking, and I sold it. I've got a Lance now, and it's OK, probably better built, but not nearly the storage space.

When I was shopping, I wanted to get the Arctic Fox but didn't want to fork out the moola. Also considered a Bigfoot, but also a lot of $$.

You're going to REALLY wish you had a longbed truck. Longbeds carry campers much better, and are easier to tow with. I tow my turd (7000 pounds) behind my camper easily. The shortbeds cause the camper to extend way past the bed, which cause you to either get a REALLY short camper, or get a hitch extension. I'm not a big fan of either of those.

Last edited:
Arctic fox is NICE!

We are Northern Lite fans, through & through.

Fiberglass 2 piece design (made in Canada) just like Bigfoot

We have owned 2 N.L.'s , just awesome campers. :awesomework:

p.s. just buy a shortbox camper. We had one in our longbox at one point, there was nice storage behind the cab for firewood, LOL

We're thinking about getting a cabover camper in the next year or two. We have a shortbed 04 HD2500 4x4 with a duramax. The rig has GWV's comparable to a one-ton, and the RV dealer said it'll hold the cabover weights fine.

We're thinking about an Arctic fox 811 w/slide, but has anyone used these? What are your likes/dislikes. And what brands have you used on what kind of rig. Again likes/dislikes with those too.

Photos are nice too.

Thx.

I have a '07 shortbed classic DMAX, and have been toying with the same problem. Worse for me is I loose 6" in the back due to my aux fuel tank.

Either way, you won't be able to go over a 8' Camper, so I've been investigating getting a gooseneck utility/toy hauler.. I think it depends on if you're going to just go camping or if you think most of the time your wheeler would be coming with you.