• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

truck campers

boxboy

can I be your friend...
I have been looking at truck campers for some time, now and then I see ads about "modified camper to fit newer trucks"? what is that all about and how old of a campers are to wide to fit newer trucks? I have 2000 F250 super duty.

I hoss Tom's 1974 Western Wilderness around in my dually and it fits just fine. Measure the inner fenders and measure the bottom of the camper.

I had a 01 crewcab superduty ...and a 91 s&s 11.5 camper...the over hang of the camper is really close to the top of the cab of the truck....I think the mod that they are talking about is...blocking the bottom of the camper so it sits higher in the bed ...I did mine with 2x4 on there side with 3/4 ply wood for the bottom.....

The first few trips out I didn't do anything ...and my cab lights were rubbing the camper only on large bounces ...it was not hurting anything but it was annoying ....

I hoss Tom's 1974 Western Wilderness around in my dually and it fits just fine. Measure the inner fenders and measure the bottom of the camper.

I sold my late 70s SIX PAC to a guy with a new chevy like yours.

It would not fit between the tailights. Like the shower on one side and the closet on the other would not let it slide in all the way.

New trucks are not full size.

I have the 5th wheel bars in the bed so they will lift the camper up any way a couple inches I assume i will need to space the front and back to the same height.

So it sounds like I need to worry about the over hang height and the width between the lights on the bed? Also if I buy a 90's model versions a 00's model I assume I would assume the 00's would fit my truck?

Newer trucks get narrow towards the rear for styling purposes. Some fit, others don't. Just have to measure and make sure.

Newer trucks get narrow towards the rear for styling purposes. Some fit, others don't. Just have to measure and make sure.

I had an '88 western wilderness 10.5' that wouldn't fit my 07 dodge because of this. I could load it about 3/4 of the way before it got tight.

I ran into this with my 2000 F250.
From what i read, not only with fords but all the "big three" truck manufacturers, the cabs on the 99 and newer were built with more head-room. This caused a problem with a lot of the camper manufacturers not keeping up with the change. I just used wood as a spacer like others on here. never had a problem out of it.
Don

Tailgate hole on newer trucks won't let the bathroom section of some campers fit in the bed.

This is a hit or miss on what combos work.

Look whatthe wife bought me yesterday!!! I had to drive to Oakvillie to get it though...

it is an 04 Lance lite 815 :awesomework: with bathroom/show (the wife likes this) and I can still tow with regular hitch!

SNC00306_zpsf70be117.jpg

Nice score, what'd you pay roughly?

I'd love to find a 8' with the toilet, I really don't want to run an extension hitch to tow. So I've been looking at 8-9' range.

I picked it up for 5500 NADA has it at high as 7000. The guy I picked it up from also remade the cable tie downs to fit my truck and throw in the camper stands.

this one is 8'6" if I remove the ladder I could leave the tail gate on but no big deal to remove the tail gate then I can tow with out hitting the trailer jack on the tail gate.

I need to go wire it into my truck now.

oh I should also give props to Arlington RV they gave me internet pricing on the torklift tiedowns for my ford best deal I find and they had them with-in the hour so I really didn't have to wait.

I need to go wire it into my truck now.

Lance has a proprietary camper plug so you have to buy the harness from Lance (assuming you don't want to convert to a different plug). They don't like to sell the harness as they want to charge you to install it....... They will sell it to you but it will likely take some persuasion.:awesomework: