• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cage failures

crash2

-Oh no I picked a side-
So to keep the thread in the trail section clean of the cage BS. Lets discuss cage failures and if you have any pictures of other failures please post them. The point of this thread is to help those who don't know better--lets teach them :awesomework:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

So to keep the thread in the trail section clean of the cage BS. Lets discuss cage failures and if you have any pictures of other failures please post them. The point of this thread is to help those who don't know better--lets teach them :awesomework:
03.jpg
So looking at only the cage and its mountings on this picture and nothing else. What i see is the left rear portion was only welded to the wheel well without a plate, No structular between the rear center top of the cage and the frame, I would have to go with material failure in the right upper hailow corner, More material failure on the down bar from windshield the upper hood area, nothing between the upper front corners between the hailow corner and the base structure, lastly maybe stronger material should have been used?

This is just only my point of view and my guessing on cage construction.

2 guys I used to run with back in my old CJ days went to do some work on their full cages only to find that the PO had used exhaust pipe for tubing.:looser:

Ya never know what the PO might have done during the fab process.

No cross supporting, too long stretch's between down tubes. And without seeing the welded joints--one can only "assume" poor welds--but thats just a guess. You have to remember how much that cage had to roll/bend as it tumbled and thats alot of stress even against a good weld....

I heard thru the grapevine that this truck used to be orange until recently, has a smallblock, and that the exocage work was not built by the driver, but was built by Ray-Ray's Offroad... who there have been several posts about his work on here...

I don't know how true any of that is, but it is just what I heard...

Has anyone mentioned.....Exo's are :rb: Now you know.:redneck:

My poop-pipe chassis is all bent/dented to **** and will fail soon......I'm running on borrowed time.:booo:

It is a hard thing to speculate on this cage without seeing it in person. material welds ect....400 feet is a long way to roll. Hell this thing could have been jumping 25 feet in the air between rolls down that...

03.jpg
What i see is the left rear portion was only welded to the wheel well without a plate,

If you are talking about the piece that is on the ground and into the bed area of the truck, then I think that is whats left of the main hoop that went from slider to slider. In other words, the end thats visible in the bed is supposed to be attached to the rear of the slider on the drivers side of the truck. By the looks of these pics, this truck definately rolled a bunch of times. Quite frankly, I think regardless of how poor quality most of you think this cage was, it did serve its purpose of saving their lives. Anything rolling down that far that many times is gonna be mangled imo....come to think of it, it is an exo cage designed to save the cab which it didnt. Can anyone tell if there was or is an in cab cage?

Last edited:
First off it's a exo cage which is typically only meant to protect some sheet metal not save your life in a bad roll. Exo cages by nature don't do much other than be gay.:rb:
Second off hind sight is 20-20. I'de be willing to bet that there weren't a bunch of people knocking on this guys door to tell him his exo cage was going to fail in a roll...
Third off it's attached to a Toyota, what do you expect?:stirpot:

First off it's a exo cage which is typically only meant to protect some sheet metal not save your life in a bad roll. Exo cages by nature don't do much other than be gay.:rb:

You are right.... my editted my post for accuracy. :awesomework:

It is a hard thing to speculate on this cage without seeing it in person. material welds ect....400 feet is a long way to roll. Hell this thing could have been jumping 25 feet in the air between rolls down that...

well figuar 12 rolls divided by 400 ft equals 33ft per roll :( yikes!!:eeek:

I'd say that cage failed for a lot of reasons, first of course is the tremendous force we have to assume it went through on it's way down. A few more are bad welds, sure we can't see them in the pics but a correct weld shouldn't severely impact the material so it gets brittle or malable and tears. Material selection plays a big part in overal syrength too of course, not saying a DOM exo with that design but it probaly wouldn't have failed as quickly as we can ASSume that one did. A pile of tube no matter how strong it is will faul when tossed at a rig with NO thought of strength in shape or impact forces. A **** design will fail no matter if its dom or sch40, the dom will just hold up longer.

My buddies gave me alot of **** when I built my first cage 11/2 .120 wall seemed tube.I put tube alover the place mounted the seats and belts to it.When I wrecked my rig it bent the frame 3"s busted the winch motor just from the slapp on the ground.The front hoop was bent about 2"s back hoop and everything else was fine.I kinda walked away, minus one ear and a broken knee....if I haddnet been such a stupid drunk IDIOT and had my belt on I would have walked away....lets just say cages are paramount and Ive learned my lesson!!!!
SAMURAI002.jpg

SAMURAI003.jpg

on the material note.
the process form CREW and DOM is not that far apart. The both have seams, you just can't see it on the DOM.

I hear this argument all the time, yes dom is a little stronger than CREW, but not that much. HREW on the other hand, I wouldn't use.

Flame on.

It's hard to tell with those pics on how the welds broke for sure. Cold welds?? maybe, even if that cage that is pictured was welded properly, and the cage was made from pipe, the welded area would of still broke. The weld it self wouldn't of broke, it is the material it self that failed.

Pipe is NOT made to take impact pressure, it is made to take a steady even and regulated pressure, something a lot of people do not comprehend. I have replaced plenty of pipe rail along side of roads that where hit buy a car, the material next to the weld is always pulled away under the weld.

If that cage was made from DOM then for sure I would say it wasn't welded hot enough, and the failed welds where from no weld penetration. But I highly doubt that was a DOM cage.

The lack of triangulation and a properly engineered cage is obvious, it is the failed weld that greatly exaggerated the failure of that cage in the pics.

it's an EXO with no internal bracing.... welds may have broken or material fractured next to the heat affected zone. hard to say from that distance of the pics. Reguardless it was crap by design. and anyone thinking an exo is going to hold in a hard tumble is wrong. Too long of spans little node structuring, lack of internal bracing and no real structural way to tie into the frame for a true push load.

Has anyone mentioned.....Exo's are :rb: Now you know.:redneck:

My poop-pipe chassis is all bent/dented to **** and will fail soon......I'm running on borrowed time.:booo:

I never realised your cage was a pipe cage. It has held up remarkably well.